Do I HAVE to send program director LOR for fellowship application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncology2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for a competitive IM fellowship and already have 5 strong LORs from prominent people in the field (some well known). My application is otherwise extremely strong but I don't have confidence that my program director will write me a great LOR (he is already known to half-ass the LORs and be overly truthful and tends to emphasize the weaknesses instead of strengths of a resident).

I'm in good standing, many of my evals have stated that I'm a top 5 resident in my year (which my other LORs have commented on), but I heard through the grapevine that I was being seriously considered for a chief residency position and an offer was going to be made to me until they talked to him and he derailed my candidacy. I had made the mistake of opening up to him during a standard annual performance review during start of PGY-2 year about a serious family medical issue that I think I juggled very well during residency considering the circumstances without taking a leave of absence but I feel like he told the entire administration including chief residents and ever since then they were waiting for me to show signs of burnout/depression which never really happened. So I fear he will hurt my chances at the top programs which I think I have a decent chance at otherwise. I know it will look bad not sending one either. Any suggestions?

NEVER going to share personal family issues with a direct supervisor again.

tldr; do I have to include program director's LOR? I don't think he likes me, otherwise have very strong application

Members don't see this ad.

Your IM program director?

Pretty sure you have to have it. It will summarize your performance overall/evals, etc, that your other letter writers just wouldn't know.

Yes. you need your PD letter.

You don't need need it. Your app can technically be complete without it.

But if your app shows up without it, and a program is otherwise interested in you, I guarantee the first thing the PD is going to do is call up your current PD and find why his LOR wasn't in your file. And that's not going to go well for you.