Do I have to memorize the formulas for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have to memorize all the necessary chemistry formulas?
Or, will the test give you some basic formulas?

Also, am I allow to bring scrap sheet to work on my math/chemistry problems?
I like to write things down as I work on math problems.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think so but they'll give you erasable board and pen. it's better to practice with some thick pen so that you don't feel panic in the real dat

Test gives you nothing. You go there your brain too and confidence :p That's it. Also 2 signatured ids yea.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh.. no papers?? i think i need some to do math problems.. no?
what about pencils

You need to memorize all formulas you feel like you might use.

About the paper and pencil, post #2 already gave you an answer but I'll repeat. You DO NOT get paper and a pencil. You get 2 laminated sheets and 2 dry erase markers to do your work on.

Do we have to memorize all the necessary chemistry formulas?
Or, will the test give you some basic formulas?

Does c =n/v or n=c/v

I'm seeing it written both ways when I look it up

So what happens when we run out of room? Are the markers erasable ?
When I took mine (a week and a half ago) they provided you with 2 8x11 sheets of laminated pages (one side blank and the other side had a graph paper format). When you ran out of room on the sheets of paper provided, you could raise the page in the air, and someone would come by, take it, and then provide you with a clean page with the identical format.

FYI: I went through 4 pages total - its smart to try and replace each page as it runs out of room instead of waiting till both of your pages run out of room at the same time, which would not allow you to continue working, especially on the QR section

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on your center, but you either 1) raise your hand for a proctor to see you and give you new boards, 2) walk up to a desk to get new boards, or 3) swap your boards out at break, however much you've used them (this is what I did so I didn't have to waste any time :))

When I took mine (a week and a half ago) they provided you with 2 8x11 sheets of laminated pages (one side blank and the other side had a graph paper format). When you ran out of room on the sheets of paper provided, you could raise the page in the air, and someone would come by, take it, and then provide you with a clean page with the identical format.

FYI: I went through 4 pages total - its smart to try and replace each page as it runs out of room instead of waiting till both of your pages run out of room at the same time, which would not allow you to continue working, especially on the QR section
genius!

The markers aren't necessarily erasable and the proctor says to raise your hand so they can give you new ones. However, I didn't know that until after the first break and during the chem/Orgo section, I actually used the back of the pen cap to scrape off the writing I no longer needed off the laminated sheet. Erasing them with your hands was surprisingly taxing and it just made everything really dirty. In total, I went through 2 sheets for the sciences. 2 sheets for the math and 2 sheets for the reading because I did the mapping method.

Reactions: 1 user