Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharoahcairo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Adcoms usually prefer GPA>DAT. If you're worried about your DAT, then I'd focus on raising your Bio and RC, while maintaining or even pushing it to a 3.8 to be super-safe.

If you get 20 AA+, research won't matter as much.

BTW, stats only get your foot through the door--you need to have stellar LOR's, EC's, a non-superficial personal statement, and not screw up your interviews. I had a low GPA myself and I had a very hard time getting my foot through the door.... I don't think you'll need to worry about that, thankfully.

what were your stats

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you have a chance. Apply broadly. Good luck.

So I'm currently a 3rd year at a well known difficult university as a life sciences major. My GPA is around a 3.7 and my DAT breakdown was AA 19, Total Science 19, OChem 20, GenChem 21, Bio 17, Reading 18, Quan 21, and PAT 21. I did a volunteering program at a dental school near where I live. I've also taken a class taught by dental students for pre-dental students. And finally I am currently shadowing in a dental office. So I was wondering do I have a shot if I apply in this next cycle? Do any of you have any recommendations for me? Should I be worried that I haven't done any research even though I plan on looking into that ASAP?

where did you go to school if you don't mind sharing

also what is your science gpa? or is your science gpa 3.7?

Adcoms usually prefer GPA>DAT. If you're worried about your DAT, then I'd focus on raising your Bio and RC, while maintaining or even pushing it to a 3.8 to be super-safe.

If you get 20 AA+, research won't matter as much.

BTW, stats only get your foot through the door--you need to have stellar LOR's, EC's, a non-superficial personal statement, and not screw up your interviews. I had a low GPA myself and I had a very hard time getting my foot through the door.... I don't think you'll need to worry about that, thankfully.

I thought it was the other way around, that DAT was more important than the GPA since it can serve as an "equalizer" since its a standardized test.

I thought it was the other way around, that DAT was more important than the GPA since it can serve as an "equalizer" since its a standardized test.
Regardless of what institution you attended, Adcoms cannot deny the hard work needed to maintain a high GPA, across dozens of different instructors and subjects, for 4 years.

The DAT is just one test.

Reactions: 1 users
Regardless of what institution you attended, Adcoms cannot deny the hard work needed to maintain a high GPA, across dozens of different instructors and subjects, for 4 years.

Your last sentence is a good point.

Do any of you have any recommendations for me? Should I be worried that I haven't done any research even though I plan on looking into that ASAP?
Definitely maintain that GPA this semester and apply for REU programs for research. Maybe latch onto a project where you could get coauthored on a publication.

Do any of you have any recommendations for me? Should I be worried that I haven't done any research even though I plan on looking into that ASAP?
APPLY EARLY
I cannot stress that enough. Virtually everyone with decent stats like yours who were rejected applied late summer or during the fall. That is one of the easiest ways to boost your chances of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user

This is very true, but I definitely do think the DAT has its merits.

Like you mentioned, you absolutely cannot deny the amount of effort it takes to maintain a high GPA. This shows your ability to remain motivate and produce work at a high enough caliber to succeed.

The DAT though shows how you operate in a stressful situation with a deadline and limited time to prepare. I think both skills are necessary to succeed in any field, especially dentistry, so I do like both metrics.