Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lex206158

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior with a terrible case of pessimism in an environment where everyone seems to be mindlessly cheering me on. My big problem is my GPA. I currently have a 2.7 GPA (I'm in my last semester in college) at a good public college. My GPA is so low because I had a very bad year two years ago (a lot going on) and that tanked my GPA.

Besides my GPA, however, (not meaning to toot my own horn) I have an exceptional number of extracurriculars and leadership positions (many related to the health-field) as well as the fact that I've been an EMT for several years. I can also get good recommendations from a doctor, nurse practitioners, and several of my professors.

I am currently looking into post-bacc programs but just don't know if I can even get into that. Any schools in particular that may consider me? If not, I just want the reality of whether I should still consider this route.

To be blunt, I love medicine. I knew I wanted to be a doctor when I was a child and truly fell in love with it after all of my experiences in college.

My main question is: do I really still have a chance?
Or should I consider other paths?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a senior with a terrible case of pessimism in an environment where everyone seems to be mindlessly cheering me on. My big problem is my GPA. I currently have a 2.7 GPA (I'm in my last semester in college) at a good public college. My GPA is so low because I had a very bad year two years ago (a lot going on) and that tanked my GPA.

Besides my GPA, however, (not meaning to toot my own horn) I have an exceptional number of extracurriculars and leadership positions (many related to the health-field) as well as the fact that I've been an EMT for several years. I can also get good recommendations from a doctor, nurse practitioners, and several of my professors.

I am currently looking into post-bacc programs but just don't know if I can even get into that. Any schools in particular that may consider me? If not, I just want the reality of whether I should still consider this route.

To be blunt, I love medicine. I knew I wanted to be a doctor when I was a child and truly fell in love with it after all of my experiences in college.

You do still have a chance but its gonna take some time. If I were you, I would spend a fifth year taking upper division science classes in what is known as a "do it yourself" post bacc. Basically you find advanced bio or other related health science classes offered at an array of schools around you. You pretty much need to ace them or at least have a 3.5+. You could even stay as a non degree seeking student at your current college to accomplish this.

IF you take say, 24 credits of this (12 credits this fall, 12 spring 2018) and have a STRONG upward trend (in addition to whatever your upward trend is from undergrad you alluded to, you really need to kill these additional 24 credits) you actually could be competitive for DO or state MD schools maybe with a good MCAT score (510+), without needing an SMP.

I would again, do the DIY post bacc and take the MCAT next year. See where you're at then in terms of upward trend, overall GPA, and MCAT. Then you can apply to SMPs, in addition to med schools, or just one or the other depending on how your app is looking. But you need GPA repair now.

Continue to get clinical hours in the meantime.

So long story short, its up to you. It will take you a few years and prob $10k+ on top of a lot of hard work. But if this is really what you want to do, you haven't precluded yourself from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, you do have a chance. It will take a LOT of hard work and dedication, but people in your situation have done it before. I would first recommend re-taking any pre-req classes that you have a C or lower in, as those are important to adcoms. (A C- won't even satisfy the requirement for the vast majority of schools.) You can then try to enroll in a formal or DIY postbacc to get your GPA to at least a 3.0. At this point, I would then consider doing an SMP (special master's program). Some of these SMP programs at a specific medical school offer admission into the following year's class depending on your GPA. Others will guarantee an interview to that specific school, and some don't guarantee anything. The point is, although at this point you may not be able to quantitatively impress school adcoms with your GPA, you can still create a qualitative "wow" factor.

When I say qualitative, I mean that if you absolutely ACE your postbacc courses, and ACE your SMP, (I'm talking at least a 3.7-3.8) I don't see why adcoms wouldn't be able to look past some poor undergrad grades because they've seen your potential through your recent work.

Then there's the MCAT. IF you do very well in your post bacc/SMP I would suggest dedicating 4-5 months purely for MCAT prep. I would aim to score no lower than a 505 if possible to help make up for the low sGPA and cGPA.

IF, like I said, you ace the postbacc/SMP AND do well on the MCAT, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to snag an acceptance somewhere if you handled your apps correctly. (Applying EARLY and BROADLY.)

Remember, AACOMAS will be getting rid of the grade replacement policy this coming cycle, so I wouldn't retake undergrad courses anymore after your cGPA seems to have reached it's apex mathematically. Instead, do the SMP, or just do a DIY SMP and take upper level division science courses. (And ace them)

Good luck to you OP.

Reactions: 3 users
There's really two choices for you at this point. First, take 24-30 upper division science credits
as a DIY post bacc and then apply to SMPs. After that you'd be good to apply DO. Second, and I don't want to be criticized for saying this, but Podiatry is an option. You could take a few more upper level classes, take the MCAT and apply soon. Yeah it's not the same scope of practice as a DO/MD, but you're still a doctor and you'll make a good living. Plus, if you want to do surgery there's plenty to be done as a podiatrist. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Alienman52's post,

Lex206158, crawling back from a poor GPA in multiple years of academics is going to take at least 2 years of transcript repair and a solid MCAT 505+. I believe you can achieve this behemoth of a task and get into medical school. Yes, you have to be realistic like RamsFan&FutureDO said, but if you are very serious about becoming a physician, you can't be thinking of a plan B. There is only plan A. You have to be very hungry and grab the MD or DO like it's yours. "Oh, that says my name on that. Can you pass it my way. Thanks.". You can only say that after you have reinvented yourself on the inside and out.

Reactions: 1 users
You have no chance until you show Adcoms that you can handle a medical school curriculum, which, to date, you have yet to do.

Repeat all F/D science coursework, and then do a DIY post-bac or an SMP, and do well in them.

Reactions: 1 user