Do I have a chance at OMFS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colastick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this horse has already been beaten to death, but I just had to ask because i'm just too nervous.

I've been doing pretty well at school till this semester (3rd year 1st semester). Clinic hit and loads of dental classes, and I just haven't been performing very well this semester.

I've done a research in OMS field without publications and have done decent amt of extracurriculars and in the process of doing externships (I think I will have done about 3-4 externships total).

I am looking into applying to a 4-yr program next year.

Due to my low rank, do I have a decent shot at OMS? If you don't think so, please be brutal and tell me so I can wake up.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just based upon your stats, it may be difficult to get a high number of interviews, but that does not mean you do not have a chance. Your CBSE score is obviously competitive. Even though you think you may drop to the 50% mark, you don't know for sure. Regardless, I do not think your stats should influence your decision to apply or not. There are plenty of applicants with "low" stats that match at top notch programs because they perform very well during interviews. Continue to work hard and do the best you can, and speak with the OMS faculty/residents at your home program so you can get the best LORs possible.

Just spoke with the chair at my home institution and suddenly remembered that I had a post here on SDN. Definitely will be applying this year. Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get in this go around I would look into doing an oral surgery internship if you are truly dedicated to getting into OMFS for your best chance. But hopefully you get in on your first try!

Good luck! I agree, an internship is a good idea to look into.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I know this horse has already been beaten to death, but I just had to ask because i'm just too nervous.

I've been doing pretty well at school till this semester (3rd year 1st semester). Clinic hit and loads of dental classes, and I just haven't been performing very well this semester.

I've done a research in OMS field without publications and have done decent amt of extracurriculars and in the process of doing externships (I think I will have done about 3-4 externships total).

I am looking into applying to a 4-yr program next year.

Due to my low rank, do I have a decent shot at OMS? If you don't think so, please be brutal and tell me so I can wake up.

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why your rank dropped with the introduction of clinic. Could you please elaborate on why you found it challenging to maintain your rank in D3 relative to your classmates?

Reactions: 1 user