Do GMO's work in hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LePepe

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.

If not, where do they work?

Members don't see this ad.

Some do, some don't. Some work in a small little office that has the bare necessities, some work on a ship, some work in a tent in the desert, and some have worked in former dictator's palaces.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Id say a majority of GMOs are line docs, meaning they are the PCM for line units like infantry, aviation, armor, on ships. Occasionally they will be put in clinic OIC roles as well. They will work in clinics that may be in hospitals but I find it highly unlikely they would be working on the wards in a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a green side Navy GMO, I worked out of an branch health clinic when in homeport, out of a tent when out in the field.

During my time with the surface fleet, I've been in a barebones physical exam-only clinic (no procedures other than paps) but go spend time on ships and will occasionally see patients there.

I haven't worked in a hospital in 4 years.

We've got one in our hospital who works in ortho...essentially acts as a PA...sees clinic, assists on cases in the OR.
Currently? What service? That sounds like a stashed gmo waiting to go to flight or dive training to me. (But timing wise that would be something you would see in the summer or fall) Either that or they have some awesome drug deal that lets them spend a significant amount of time at the hospital away from their real job. If that is legit their job as a gmo it is definitely a rare one. (And I'd love to know how the heck they got that job)

Currently? What service? That sounds like a stashed gmo waiting to go to flight or dive training to me. (But timing wise that would be something you would see in the summer or fall) Either that or they have some awesome drug deal that lets them spend a significant amount of time at the hospital away from their real job. If that is legit their job as a gmo it is definitely a rare one. (And I'd love to know how the heck they got that job)
AF. He was applying ortho, didnt match but lucked into this and has been doing this for a few years. I think hes still trying to get an ortho spot.

AF. He was applying ortho, didnt match but lucked into this and has been doing this for a few years. I think hes still trying to get an ortho spot.
Dang that's crazy. Can't see how it possible that was an actual billet. Must have had some overages and he lucked out on getting stashed in the program he wanted. Good for him.

Though it does kind of have a "stand outside the monestary while we tell you to go away for a month before training you" vibe. Worlds longest job interview.

Dang that's crazy. Can't see how it possible that was an actual billet. Must have had some overages and he lucked out on getting stashed in the program he wanted. Good for him.

Though it does kind of have a "stand outside the monestary while we tell you to go away for a month before training you" vibe. Worlds longest job interview.

I know...sweet gig esp if you are applying ortho. We don't have an ortho program here...but I'd imagine it's a small world in AF ortho.

For Army say you are an intern who never finished BOLC and just chose to fail your last PT test you could be flagged and not allowed to attend any training courses. If you don't attend BOLC then you can't deploy and no unit is going to accept you for an assignment. Therefore you stay at the hospital. Doesn't help you match to an Army program. The FM department farmed the GMO out to every single tasker they possibly could. That is one of the reasons they make everyone attend BOLC during med school or before intern year starts.