DO Friendly ACGME GSurg Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asked by several prospective applicants to start a thread like this, so here are some programs that I know consider Osteopathic applicants and some that are not so open minded.

Some general thoughts:
-Take the USMLE Step 1 and 2. I was told time and again that they were glad to have both scores
-Apply broadly, I applied to about 40 programs and was offered interviews at about 1/2 of them
-Rotate at a few of them if you are serious about the nrmp match. I would recommend programs that might be reach programs but not unreasonable for your application. Some require a rotation from DO's in order for you to be interviewed!
-Submit ERAS on the first day

*Saint Louis University - Will consider DO's who have and have not rotated

*UMKC - Will interview DO's with good scores

*Good Samaritan Hospital (Cincinnati) - Will consider DO's who have and have not rotated provided you did well on your USMLE

*St. Joseph Exempla - Will consider DO's who have done well on the USMLE and strongly prefer that you have rotated!

*Banner Good Sam (Phoenix) - Will consder DO's who have done well on the USMLE and strongly prefer that you have rotated.

*Maricopa County (Phoenix) - Will consder DO's who have done well on the USMLE and strongly prefer that you have rotated.

*Mayo AZ - Will favor applicants who have rotated, they like very high USMLE scores

*University of Illinois in Peoria - Will consider DO's, but it's a good idea to rotate here. They interview a select group and getting face time with the faculty and PD is what will get you a look

*UIC Chicago (not sure which one honestly..Metro group and one of the others for sure) - Will interview DO's with competitive USMLE scores

*St. Elizabeth (Boston) - Will consider DO's with good scores, rotation not necessary

*Oregon Health and Science University - Will consider DO's. MUST rotate here to be considered for an interview. Obviously USMLE scores are important as well.

*Marshfield Clinic - Very DO friendly

*UT San Antonio - Will consider DO's with a strong application and scores, a rotation may help but is not necessary

*Loma Linda University - Will consider qualified DO's, doing a rotation is a good idea here because they do not interview a large # of applicants

*Carle Hospital (IL) - New program, will consider DO's whether you have rotated or not

*York Hospital (PA) - Very DO friendly, will consider DO applicants with a good application and I think a rotation would help but is not necessary

*Univ. of Florida Jacksonville - Will consider DO's, the assistant PD is a DO

*UCSF Fresno - Will consider DO's with good scores, rotation not necessary but would probably help if you are a borderline applicant.

*Virginia Mason (Seattle) - Will consider DO's supposedly, but they are very selective and hard to predict who they will interview (MD or DO), a rotation here would be highly advised

*Swedish (Seattle) - Same as above. Very competitive program with only a few spots!

*Riverside Methodist (Columbus) - Will interview DO's, rotation not necessary

*Mayo Clinic (MN) - Is open minded, but you must obviously be very qualified and I'm sure a rotation would be a good way to set yourself apart if you already have a strong app

*University of Arizona - Will consider DO's, rotation not necessary

*University of New Mexico - Will consider DO's, rotation not necessary

*Do not expect to get many interviews from CA programs, but I got a few surprises so you never know..it's competitive here no matter who you are!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obviously this list is nowhere near all-inclusive..nor does it guarantee that these programs will interview every qualified DO that applies. Also - my experience with programs in the South and East Coast is extremely limited. This list is meant to be an informative starting point to start your search for programs to apply for as a DO applicant. Hopefully more MS4's or junior residents can add their input/experiences about which programs are reasonable about considering DO's. It is a competitive field, and if you want a spot you're going to have to work for it. Good luck to those in the current match and those applying next year. Hopefully this helps!

DO Hostile - there may be exceptions but unless you are a 260/260 applicant, you may waste your money on eras or your time on a rotation at these places
*University of Washington
*Methodist Medical Center - Des Moines
*University of Iowa
*University of Utah
*Medical College of Wisconsin
*Lots of other big academic places..but the above are the only ones I have a good idea about

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Classy thread. :thumbup:

More like this thread from other fellow DO graduates that are/were matched into other specialties.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting the thread. Just would like to reiterate that doing away rotations at these institutions will go far to helping you match. Also, I just wanna say that being "DO Friendly" is not a very clear distinction. I've gotten interviews from places that I didn't expect interviews from, and there were programs that I didn't get interviews from that have taken DO's in the past. One of them even had a resident who went to my school and I didn't hear from them. So apply broadly, you never know who will get back to you. Also my experiences are all from the east coast, which tends to not be DO friendly in general.

NY Hospital, Queens - Will interview students do didn't rotate. They have DO residents as well. PD seemed like he just wanted good residents.

St Lukes-Roosevelt - Will interview every visiting student who comes there. If you apply there and were not accepted for a rotation you probably won't get an interview(my guess). They will interview DO applicants.

Stamford Hospital, CT - Will interview DO's. I got the sense that rotating there will help you chances greatly. They want people who want to be there. Didn't rotate there so I don't know.

Danbury Hospital, CT - Will interview DO's.

St. Elizabeth's, Boston - Will interview DO's

Waterbury Hospital, CT - Will interview DO's

University of Buffalo - Will interview DO's

UPMC-Mercy - Recently started interviewing DO's coming out of med school this year. Previously only interviewed DO's who have completed a traditional year. This is because of the proposed merger in 2015. This was because of the licensing issue's for DO's in Pennsylvania and all.

UIC-Metro Group - Will interview DO's with stellar scores

Penn State - Will interview, and have taken DO's in the past

Sinai Baltimore - Have taken DO's in the past, don't know if you need to do an away to get interviewed though.

Won't Interview

Westchester Medical Center - Will not interview DO's, don't bother. At least until they get a new Chairman. They recently got a new PD, don't know what his stance on this is however. Again this is hearsay from someone who rotated there, so don't hold me to it.

North Shore-LIJ - Won't interview DO's. They seem very keen on your pedigree and prestige of the school you came from. They want the program to compete with the top academic programs in NY

UConn - Won't interview you

SUNY Albany - Won't interview you

Will add more later if I some more come to mind

Reactions: 1 user
Westchester Medical Center did interview me 2 years ago:) so they do interview DOs...matching there is another story:)

UT-Houston PD is a DO and we currently have 3 in our program (2 chiefs and a cat intern). You definitely want to do an away here and shine, but it should be on the list.

Ah, also, what is a "competitive USMLE scores"??

Anything over a 230, hopefully? or do we need higher being DO students?

Ah, also, what is a "competitive USMLE scores"??

Anything over a 230, hopefully? or do we need higher being DO students?

230+ on Step 1 will serve you well

Try for a 250+ on Step 2 but 240+ isn't the end of the world

These may sound high but it's the way things are nowadays..especially after this year...this year's match was brutal! Lots of unexpected drops in folks' rank lists.

Last edited:
Received a PM from an applicant for this cycle who would like to remain annonymous:

"UTHSC Memphis - great program, crappy location... will probably be my top general surgery program based on the quality of the residents. They interview on days they hold morning conferences so you get to see the residents present and get pimped... they really know their stuff.

Penn State Hershey - solid program, once again location is an issue... ok if you like chocolate

SLU - you listed... i liked the program and the town

East Carolina University - decent program in the middle of nowhere, residents seemed happy

University of South Carolina - small program, good people, ok location... they have a DO or two

West Virginia University - it made the rank list.... barely

Wright State University - not even going to rank it... i'd honestly rather not match "

Any updates for this thread for the 2013 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, Great thread!!! I was wondering if anybody had some more information on programs in the south?

Last edited:
Any new info from this years applicants?

Some information on southern programs:

UT Medical School at Houston - DO friendly. PD is a DO. No DO's accepted for this year's match. Last year, two DO's (both prelim), the year prior one DO (categorical).
UT San Antonio - DO friendly. Accepted two DO's for this year's match (1 categorical, 1 prelim).
Texas Tech Health Science Center in Lubbock - DO friendly. Two DO's in last year's match.
U of Oklahoma College of Medicine - DO friendly. Have not accepted any, but have interviewed DOs.

Don't Bother:
Baylor, Houston
Baylor, Dallas
Methodist, Dallas
Methodist, Houston (cannot confirm this)
UTSW, Dallas
UTSW, Austin (cannot confirm this)
UTMB, Galveston
Scott&White, Austin

EDIT: From speaking to these programs, most say that a "competitive" USMLE step 1 score for their program is between a 230-240. And the few that have commented on Step 2 say that it is generally 240+.

Reactions: 1 users
I know a NYCOM class of 2014 student who interviewed at New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center. Not sure how he ranked them but I know he ended up with a categorical ACGME spot.

Update on University of Colorado (from a current resident) - we recently graduated a DO who was one of our best Chiefs. SO: we definitely interview (and match) DOs.

Anybody know if UMass has graduated any DOs in gen. surg?

Hi, i have 202 step1 and ck 190 waiting for cs result. I have written 7 research papers on surgery which are accepted for presentation in USA. Someone like to guide me how can i play this year GS match?

Any new info on Dell Medical School in Austin?

Huh?

This is a thread about applying to ACGME surgery residency programs as a DO. Dell hasn't even admitted its first class of students.

Sorry i was referring to the general surgery residency under seton austin. I assumed it was affiliated with Dell.

Almost certainly no DO's at Dell GS when they take over. Currently, there are a few DO's in EM and couple in IM (mostly from North Texas Health Science Center, respectively). The new medical school dean is from UCSF-- seems not to be DO friendly...

Was wondering if DO's who haven't taken step 1, can still apply with only a Step 2 score? I just took step 2, will be applying both AOA and (ACGME if possible)

1 month later... BUMPING my original question??
anyone?

Step 2 without Step 1, should I? for ACGME GS?

Cheers

225 Step 1. 3rd year now. Should I disqualify myself? I love General Surgery :( Am a DO

You'll probably still manage to get some bites, but I suspect these will be more community based programs with a history of taking DOs.

My interest really is Trauma CC/General Surgery. I don't wan to be a university professor. I'm quite happy being a regular 'ol community surgeon (if I can even make it). My long term interest actually is to go back to my country of origin which is quite poor, to say the least, and make some type of impact there...

I feel so screwed

My interest really is Trauma CC/General Surgery. I don't wan to be a university professor. I'm quite happy being a regular 'ol community surgeon (if I can even make it). My long term interest actually is to go back to my country of origin which is quite poor, to say the least, and make some type of impact there...

I feel so screwed

Not so sure that you're screwed here. Just target your applications appropriately and I think you'll get some bites. Getting trauma/cc fellowships after GS is pretty easy too, so being from a community program shouldn't be a problem there.

Not so sure that you're screwed here. Just target your applications appropriately and I think you'll get some bites. Getting trauma/cc fellowships after GS is pretty easy too, so being from a community program shouldn't be a problem there.

Am I pigeonholing myself with Trauma/CC? MIS/Vascular are out of the question if lets say this somehow does work? Thanks for your words of support

Am I pigeonholing myself with Trauma/CC? MIS/Vascular are out of the question if lets say this somehow does work? Thanks for your words of support

I'm not sure vascular would be out either. MIS? Not sure how competitive it is these days. Do well in residency and you'll set yourself up for the best chance of success.

Third year DO here with a 233 on step 1... I've compiled a list of all GS programs that have taken DOs in the past it's like ~90. I'm willing to go anywhere but preferably NE region (seattle would be a dream haha). Any advice on where to schedule auditions and whether you think i'm solid enough with a 233 to skip the AOA match? I really want to go to an ACGME program!

Hi, tagging along for updates as well..4 years later. Would love to hear how everything turned out for people!