Do DO residents have take Comlex level 3 if in an acgme program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it required to take Level 3 as a DO or can one just take Step 3 in the spring? And does wanting to pursue a fellowship affect the need to take both then? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This is something I've looked into exhaustively since ACGME pathology is often less competitive for DOs than even FM, and most pathologists are "forced" into fellowships after residency. DOs MUST take Level 3. Because the merger is several years away and it will take several years after that for PDs and fellowships to "get comfortable" with the score conversions and knowing how to interpret them in terms of comparing DOs to MDs in terms of results, expect to take Step 3 also. Having step 3 done is just a useful check in the box for applying anyways.

This is something I've looked into exhaustively since ACGME pathology is often less competitive for DOs than FM. DOs MUST take Level 3. Because the merger is several years away and it will take several years after that for PDs and fellowships to "get comfortable" with the score conversions and knowing how to interpret them in terms of comparing DOs to MDs in terms of results, expect to take Step 3 also. Having step 3 done is just a useful check in the box for applying anyways.
Is it required to take Level 3 as a DO or can one just take Step 3 in the spring? And does wanting to pursue a fellowship affect the need to take both then? Thank you.
Some states allow DOs to license with COMLEX or USMLE. In my state, either is acceptable, but there are numerous states in which this is not the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang. Thanks for the help. I wonder if it's wiser to take Level 3 in the summer before intern year and just prep for Step 3 as needed until the spring to ensure doing well.

Dang. Thanks for the help. I wonder if it's wiser to take Level 3 in the summer before intern year and just prep for Step 3 as needed until the spring to ensure doing well.
No DO needs to take Step 3. In fact, it would be absolutely dumb for a DO to take Step 3, because it would first require wasting $1200 on Step 2 CS. Why would you do that to yourself? Just take Level 3, there's no disadvantage for fellowship match (no one gives a rats ass about Step 3)

Reactions: 4 users
You just need level 3. If you do a medicine intern year it's ridiculously easy. Don't stress about the score-nobody cares as long as you pass.