DO chance at ACGME programs with only COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a COMLEX in the mid to upper 400s. Will I have problems matching ACGME peds? I love in Texas so I'm hoping for Texas programs in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

My program is not in Texas, but I believe my PC said that they screen out applicants that don't have USMLE, because it's harder to compare head to head. But we only have 1-2 DOs match per year, so maybe a program that has more DOs will be more accepting of no USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with @mvenus929. People have tried explaining to me COMLEXscores and how they compared to Step scores but I can never remember because most applicants (even DOs) have Step scores. Ones COMLEX could be terrible, but if they have a great Step score, I'll go with the latter. Alternatively, if their Step score is terrible but their COMLEX score is great, I usually will judge test taking abilities on the Step score (knowing that this is only a part of the total package). In general, most applicants on paper look the same, you don't want something to make you different from the other applicants in a non-favorable way.

That being said, there are applicants who fail their licensing exams and still match into pediatrics. Furthermore, while I don't know all the Texas programs, there are quite a few in a very large state. I suspect, without knowing the details, you can match somewhere in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do USMLE and I matched into an MD residency at MetroHealth in Cleveland

I also matched into a competitive MD program (#1 on my rank list) with only the COMLEX. I applied to 28 programs in the Midwest, received 20 interview invites, and accepted 10 (which included all of my top choices). I can't comment on the Texas scene because I only applied in the Midwest, but I think you'll be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile