This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panscan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Makes no difference as long as you passed. No one asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously?

Yes, absolutely. I interviewed with about 10 practices for my first job. Discussed board scores with zero of them. The things they care most about are a reference or calling a friend of theirs who may know you from training (Urology is a small community).
The number of graduating urologists is way way less than the number of jobs available, and they definitely aren't going to bust your chops about board scores. If you want to do general urology you will get good job offers in any region in the country with minimal effort on your part (even after just a phone call in some cases). You send a resume, and then they try to convince you to come work for them.

I can't speak for what it is like for an academic job or in oversaturated subspecialties like oncology or peds, but I highly doubt they care much about your USMLE. There, the focus is probably on research, and again, recommendations(probably the most important thing no matter what).

Yes, absolutely. I interviewed with about 10 practices for my first job. Discussed board scores with zero of them. The things they care most about are a reference or calling a friend of theirs who may know you from training (Urology is a small community).
The number of graduating urologists is way way less than the number of jobs available, and they definitely aren't going to bust your chops about board scores. If you want to do general urology you will get good job offers in any region in the country with minimal effort on your part (even after just a phone call in some cases). You send a resume, and then they try to convince you to come work for them.

I can't speak for what it is like for an academic job or in oversaturated subspecialties like oncology or peds, but I highly doubt they care much about your USMLE. There, the focus is probably on research, and again, recommendations(probably the most important thing no matter what).

As someone who will be starting to testing said job market in a year or so, any tips? What I've heard this far is that most of the good jobs aren't advertised, and to not be shy about cold calling practices.

As someone who will be starting to testing said job market in a year or so, any tips? What I've heard this far is that most of the good jobs aren't advertised, and to not be shy about cold calling practices.

Don't rule out a job just because they've taken out an ad. Their investment in marketing may reflect a more urgent need for a urologist (ie. you'll be more busy). Most practices nationwide are actively looking or at least would consider hiring. Most of them don't take out ads or use recruiters because it is expensive and low yield for the practices as well.

My advice is a three pronged approach.
1. Search the ads on AUA site, job sites, etc. Somewhat low yield, but again don't rule it out. Recruiters kind of fall into this category as well.
2. Make use of your network. Ask a couple of mentors or faculty members who might have contacts to reach out on your behalf. This is a small field, and most if not all of your attendings will know urologists in cities all over the country. A couple of phone calls go along way. If their friends aren't hiring, they will know who in the area might be and what practices to avoid.
3. Research practices in your preferred location. Start with the loose area you want to work in and make a list of practices, phone numbers, names of partners, etc. Go through the yellow pages or google maps and write them all down. Check out their websites. You can narrow down your database using characteristics that are important to you (access to a robot, already has a female urologist, private vs employed, number of partners, whatever is important to you). Then cold call the practices and ask for the practice manager or managing partner. Write a loose script for what you will say. Something like "I am cpants and I'm a general urologist. I'm very interested in your practice and I was wondering if you were hiring. If so, can I send you my CV? I'd love to be considered."

I appreciate the response, but it was rhetorical & directed at OP's original question & the thread in general lol

I appreciate the response, but it was rhetorical & directed at OP's original question & the thread in general lol

Woops, haha. I took you seriously. When I was a medical student I certainly thought they mattered a lot more than they do.

Reactions: 1 user