DO applying ACGME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOther

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student interested in general surgery here. It's unfortunate there is no WAMC for general surgery programs, and the search function yielded no results for my specific situation/questions. So I thank you for your patience and any advice that can be offered.

Stats:
USMLE Step 1: 239
COMLEX Level 1: 644
Research: One EM publication and one paper (surgical subspecialty) that didn't go anywhere. I also have a background working in industry research, not academic/grant-based.

Geographic:
West coast preferred, but willing to apply almost anywhere

Goal:
As a non-traditional, older student, I'm not really interested in spending my career in academics, research or politics at the moment. I'm mostly looking to go straight into a community setting and therefore hoping to get the best surgical training possible.

Questions:
I'm loving my general surgery rotation, so it's a recent development. I've slowly started to look at different program pages to see which have taken DOs recently.

1. Can any DO gen surg residents at ACGME programs offer any insight into their programs based on my specs? (culture, didactics, operating experience, benefits, etc)
2. Can anyone speak about the AOA programs that have received initial accreditation so far? Eg. Ventura, John C. Lincoln, Swedish Medical, etc.
3. Do these programs prefer aways/auditions?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: