Do all DO students graduating 2020 or later need to take USMLE or for competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's always hilarious when members of the most revered and accomplished profession have to be reminded to knock it off and quit making fun of each other, otherwise they will basically put on time out.

What else happens when you put a bunch of egotistical, Type-A "always have to be right" nerds together who have a lot of insecurity and can act tough behind a computer screen???

LOLZ

I'm all for talkin' tough behind a computer screen but you gotta keep that same energy when you run into somebody in the real world.

This generation sucks. :(

Maybe this is why I can't hang with many med students..?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What if you were to apply only to ACGME programs that maintain the "OR" status, after 2020, Then would it make sense to only take the COMLEX?

Hint: I wasn't the one who called the moderators over as evidence by my status. Apparently, someone was pretty mentally devastated by my "fake person" comment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What if you were to apply only to ACGME programs that maintain the "OR" status, after 2020, Then would it make sense to only take the COMLEX?

there is no scenario in which it makes sense to only take the comlex.

I don't understand the point in arguing this.

If you think "only COMLEX is fine" this only take COMLEX. Who cares what strangers on the internet say?

If you think "you absolutely need the USMLE", why wouldn't you just let the "only COMLEX" people not take the USMLE and allow your new (perceived or real) advantage be just that?

Sometimes I think this whole site is just about d*** measuring

Reactions: 4 users

If you think "only COMLEX is fine" this only take COMLEX. Who cares what strangers on the internet say?

If you think "you absolutely need the USMLE", why wouldn't you just let the "only COMLEX" people not take the USMLE and allow your new (perceived or real) advantage be just that?

Not just this whole site... but medicine in general is about dick measuring.

you don't need that much money. I didn't have money either. just do local events, hang out with friends, and relax. Go to a gym, or use tinder. Something. I matched into an MD psych residency, university program. Studying summer of MS1 won't affect your chances of doing that as well lol

I just spent the last year scheduling every minute of my life. I could go to the gym, volunteer, hang out, go to events and probably still have 6-8 dead hours left over every day. +pity+And to be honest, I don't have much in common with my classmates. Not a big fan of getting wasted on one hand or going to church on the other hand.

I'm sure there are a few who like more nerdy things like me but they're as tucked away in a house somewhere as I am . . .

Last edited:
Also, do you take all the steps of both or just step 1 USMLE?

because I care about others, especially my colleagues and peers, not just about myself. Isn't that what being a physician is all about?

If you're a poor performing student in the bottom 1/3rd of your class, then your priority is becoming a licensed physician, not taking an extra test.

Do you think eventually we will see a phasing out of the COMLEX and just adding on an OMM portion to the USMLE?

One day. I would personally prefer only taking a single board series as opposed to nearly two.

Do you think eventually we will see a phasing out of the COMLEX and just adding on an OMM portion to the USMLE?
Until professors at DO schools do much better jobs at preparing students for the USMLE, that won't happen. Many of my friends won't/didn't take the USMLE b/c they perform poorly on UWorld/NBMEs. Many of them will fail if they have to take the USMLE. So yeah, COMLEX helps these students while it is annoying for others to take 2 exams. Therefore, it is a no...unless all the PDs suddenly say that they won't accept COMLEX scores. In addition, COMLEX makes NBOME tons of money, so they won't give it up without a fight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until professors at DO schools do much better jobs at preparing students for the USMLE, that won't happen. Many of my friends won't/didn't take the USMLE b/c they perform poorly on UWorld/NBMEs. Many of them will fail if they have to take the USMLE. So yeah, COMLEX helps these students while it is annoying for others to take 2 exams. Therefore, it is a no...unless all the PDs suddenly say that they won't accept COMLEX scores. In addition, COMLEX makes NBOME tons of money, so they won't give it up without a fight.
Yes and my school didn't even give any time to study for boards where I've seen some students schools give a month or even two

Lot of experts on the match here, who have never actually been through the match. Best line "without usmle you can only match into FM MD programs" and another line that adds to that "you shouldn't even take usmle if you're going to score 215 or below" (which btw, most DO students score a lot lower then MD students).
So since part of this was obviously directed at me, I take back all my previous advice just for you. Just take comlex, everything will be all rite. Focus on OMM in school. No specialty is more competitive than FM or cares about what boards you take. Is that what I should advocate? Seriously, a 215 is a SD below, there is very little chance you are helping yourself with that score. But nice Ad hominem, really contributed.

Also I don't see anyone saying you can only match USMLE FM with Comlex. Just that you are cutting off options.

Please, be respectful to your colleagues. I'm saying this in a nice way because it's an important concept: never look down on fellow medical students. You don't know their story. Some people study hard for usmle and just really struggle with it. It's not an easy test by any means. A lot of you assume you'll do fine on it but trust me, it's much harder than people realize. One of the smartest people in my class didn't take usmle; he was also military and didn't need it. He matched something very competitive.

Some people are lazy, sure. But some people try hard and it's just not enough.
Alright, I find this more than just a little ironic. You literally go and insult me and half the people previously posting for no reason (who are giving reasonable and good advice), and then you have the gall to come back and post about treating each other with respect? Thats rich, man. I bet your a pleasure to work with.

Last edited:
Or just those ones going for a competitive specialty?

I'm going to start studying this summer and want to make sure I'm prepping appropriately.

You should take USMLE unless you don't think you will score at least average on it.

There are ACGME accredited FM programs that require it. Most won't, but some of the good ones I looked at did. All programs will appreciate having a USMLE score regardless.

This was the general wisdom even before the merger was a thing, no reason to think it will change after.

As long as there are two separate exams; and as long as DO's are allowed to sit for Both, then DO's should take both so as to be directly comparable to the competition in at least one aspect of the application.

Last edited:
?? How do you figure that? Everyone I know that didn't take it had good reasons for doing so, including not needing it for their desired specialty and match location, not wanting to pay 600 bucks for an additional questionably necessary exam while they are supporting a full family on their loan allotment, and not feeling comfortable based on their pre-exam NBMEs. Get your head out of your ass and realize that different people do different things for different reasons. You act so much holier-than-thou and you haven't even taken these exams yet.

Having taken these exams isn't a requirement to have an opinion about why people don't take these exams. I really don't see how taking these exams will actually provide a more informed opinion a few weeks from now. Additionally, it's no secret taking Step 1 makes you a more competitive applicant, regardless of specialty. Why sell yourself short just because you want to do something less competitive? There are always better programs to strive for.

And the not wanting to pay 600 bucks.....if that's someones reason....jesus. I get money being tight, but you get in the car and you Uber a few hours a week to make a few extra bucks to take THE MOST IMPORTANT TEST OF YOUR LIFE.

On a related note, does anyone find that the students most passionate about OMM are the ones who are more likely to skip Step 1?

Reactions: 3 users
Don't insult my Dakotas residency! We are really selective! By excluding everyone who took the USMLE we insure that no gunners ever match!

Honestly I give a lot of crap about the Dakotas in general just bc most students think of the Dakotas and Alaska as places of hell. However, if I end up soaping into a place in the Dakotas, I would find something to keep me busy and happy for 4-5 years. It seems that it is a great place for outdoor people who like fishing, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...

Reactions: 1 users
On a related note, does anyone find that the students most passionate about OMM are the ones who are more likely to skip Step 1?
Heck no! I only didn't take it because I didn't think I needed it because all my top programs I wanted to go to said on their website they take comlex. i had every intention to take it. I studied for it like I was going to take it, bought uworld, bought nbme tests. Was scoring in the 250s but then people from my class scared me bc they did poorly on it so I thought well the programs say I can have just comlex so in the end I didn't end up taking it. Totally siked me out and I'm sure I would have done ok on it but in the end made the decision not to. So anyone who asks my advice...take it. Only reason not to is if you only want a AOA program

If you are using FA, pathoma, goljans, Kaplan, etc. then you are studying for the Usmle , not the comlex. After studying for months with the above resources you should use nbmes to gauge how you would perform on Usmle. Do not use comlex/comsae scores to predict how you'd perform on usmle.

Anyone know the percentage of DO students that take USMLE? I have a feeling it's not 99% like some on here would estimate. So when programs state "Usmle or comlex scores" on their site, we must assume they are all purposely misleading applicants?

To add a log to the flames, I recall someone on here interviewing at CHOP peds with comlex only.

Last edited:
Anyone know the percentage of DO students that take COMLEX? I have a feeling it's not 99% like some on here would estimate. So when programs state "Usmle or comlex scores" on their site, we must assume they are all purposely misleading applicants?

To add a log to the flames, I recall someone on here interviewing at CHOP peds with comlex only.

100% of do students take comlex...
Many programs say comlex or Usmle, but unless you have a Usmle score, they will convert your comlex score to a Usmle score to compare you with other applicants . The score conversion is extremely unfair. A genius DO student with a 790 will often convert to low 200s and be viewed as a ****** against the average MD with a 235.

I've even heard of one program who scales a 95 percentile comlex score all the way down to a 5 percentile usmle score. That is taking a genius and making him look like a *****.

If you want to be compared fairly you have to give them a real number rather than have them make one up.

So since part of this was obviously directed at me, I take back all my previous advice just for you. Just take comlex, everything will be all rite. Focus on OPP in school. No specialty is more competitive than FM or cares about what boards you take. Is that what I should advocate? Seriously, a 215 is a SD below, there is very little chance you are helping yourself with that score. But nice Ad hominem, really contributed.

Also I don't see anyone saying you can only match USMLE FM with Comlex. Just that you are cutting off options.

Alright, I find this more than just a little ironic. You literally go and insult me and half the people previously posting for no reason (who are giving reasonable and good advice), and then you have the gall to come back and post about treating each other with respect? Thats rich, man. I bet your a pleasure to work with.

Im not sure what you think the average is of DO students who take the usmle, but it's lower than what MDs score. Average is probably around 230 for MDs, and DO is probably less than that. 215 isn't as bad as you think it is. A 215 usmle gives you options. The thing is, on this board the people who usually post about their experiences are the people who just own everything and are awesome at medical school, so you don't always see both sides of the coin.

Im sorry if my comment came off as rude though. You're right, I should have phrased that nicer. My only point was that people are super intense on here and have very strong feelings about something that they haven't experienced. When you go through the match, you'll see what I mean. There are soooo many factors that matter getting an interview, and getting ranked high. Especially on the interviews, personality is a lot. For example, the person that interviews with a 215 who has a great personality, is likely to be ranked higher than someone with a 230 who isn't as liked on the interview day by residents.

Medical school is hard. Some people do ok. Some do awesome. Not everyone is ranked number one, or is even average. I don't think people understand how much work it is just to get a 230 usmle. It's a lot harder than SDN will lead you to believe. what I'm saying is, someone who is truly concerned about bombing USMLE has a valid reason for not taking it. As I mentioned before, it helps to have it and taking it and doing well only adds to your resume, but if you don't take its not the end of the world and you still have options. Goodluck to you on your boards/matching, I hope every DO matches well personally, it makes our profession look good.

Reactions: 9 users
Im not sure what you think the average is of DO students who take the usmle, but it's lower than what MDs score. Average is probably around 230 for MDs, and DO is probably less than that. 215 isn't as bad as you think it is. A 215 usmle gives you options. The thing is, on this board the people who usually post about their experiences are the people who just own everything and are awesome at medical school, so you don't always see both sides of the coin.

Im sorry if my comment came off as rude though. You're right, I should have phrased that nicer. My only point was that people are super intense on here and have very strong feelings about something that they haven't experienced. When you go through the match, you'll see what I mean. There are soooo many factors that matter getting an interview, and getting ranked high. Especially on the interviews, personality is a lot. For example, the person that interviews with a 215 who has a great personality, is likely to be ranked higher than someone with a 230 who isn't as liked on the interview day by residents.

Medical school is hard. Some people do ok. Some do awesome. Not everyone is ranked number one, or is even average. I don't think people understand how much work it is just to get a 230 usmle. It's a lot harder than SDN will lead you to believe. what I'm saying is, someone who is truly concerned about bombing USMLE has a valid reason for not taking it. As I mentioned before, it helps to have it and taking it and doing well only adds to your resume, but if you don't take its not the end of the world and you still have options. Goodluck to you on your boards/matching, I hope every DO matches well personally, it makes our profession look good.
First off, I appreciate the PM and the public apology, that was classy (and quite frankly unexpected so +1 for you). Your all good with me. I agree the DO average is prob lower, but thats not who we are compared with on USMLE. The point of taking USMLE is to compare DO/MD. So doing the SD from how the DO scores only makes no sense (you could use comlex for that). That is my point. If I am averaging more than a SD below the USMLE overall average, than I probably won't take it.
Honestly I give a lot of crap about the Dakotas in general just bc most students think of the Dakotas and Alaska as places of hell. However, if I end up soaping into a place in the Dakotas, I would find something to keep me busy and happy for 4-5 years. It seems that it is a great place for outdoor people who like fishing, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Yeah, I personally would prefer a residency outside of the huge cities/the NE/Coast of California (I know sacrosant). I have even tried to figure out which residency's are in Wyoming because I think its beautiful out there (and the population is low). But you do need some density tho to get training.

Last edited:
Anyone know the percentage of DO students that take USMLE? I have a feeling it's not 99% like some on here would estimate. So when programs state "Usmle or comlex scores" on their site, we must assume they are all purposely misleading applicants?

Someone posted that I think 70 out 165/225? at KC took it. Sorry going off memory. I think its between 1/3rd and 1/2 of DO's right now.

Also, do you take all the steps of both or just step 1 USMLE?

One thing I didn't mention in my last post is that a number of people from my school only took one exam. Some took Step 1, did well and didn't see the point of taking Step 2 CK. The rest took CK because they regretted not taking Step 1 and it helped them.

Personally I'd recommend planning to take both. Again its all about keeping as many options open as possible. Taking Step 1 and 2 CK does that, whereas the rest aren't all that important.

Maybe, but it won't be anytime soon. States would literally have to change their laws for that to happen.

So since part of this was obviously directed at me, I take back all my previous advice just for you. Just take comlex, everything will be all rite. Focus on OPP in school. No specialty is more competitive than FM or cares about what boards you take. Is that what I should advocate? Seriously, a 215 is a SD below, there is very little chance you are helping yourself with that score. But nice Ad hominem, really contributed.

He wasn't just talking to you. I also said that it wasn't worth it taking it if you get less than 210/215 depending on the specialty.

210 is 1 SD below the average. 215 is like 30th percentile or something. Average was 230 (at least a year or 2 ago), 20 points is the SD.

Quite literally there is one person in this thread that has almost been saying the bolded verbatim, and not just in this thread. I'll give you a hint, he's on probation now.

Having taken these exams isn't a requirement to have an opinion about why people don't take these exams. I really don't see how taking these exams will actually provide a more informed opinion a few weeks from now. Additionally, it's no secret taking Step 1 makes you a more competitive applicant, regardless of specialty. Why sell yourself short just because you want to do something less competitive? There are always better programs to strive for.

And the not wanting to pay 600 bucks.....if that's someones reason....jesus. I get money being tight, but you get in the car and you Uber a few hours a week to make a few extra bucks to take THE MOST IMPORTANT TEST OF YOUR LIFE.

I don't know man, I hated my life studying and taking Step 1. I'm old enough to know that there's lots of reasons for people to choose not to do something. No point judging them and calling them names. Maybe there's stuff going on in their lives that you don't see. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have taken Step 1 if what happened in my life literally a month later happened before it.

As for the ones really into OMM, well if they're going for FM & OMT or a TRI + NMM then it makes sense for them to only take the COMLEX. There really is no point taking the USMLE in that situation.

Also, I actually really like a lot of OMM for MSK complaints, and I'm a big advocate for taking the USMLE as a DO.

The percentage has hovered around 50% for the last few years. In 2016, it was closer to 55%. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it increasing given the merger.

For more info:
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Performance Data

I hope this doesn't come off as offensive but i really hope you go into admin of some sorts. You are great with people, actually understand what you are saying, and would make a great leader in the field.

Plus, when don't we need physician administrators who aren't blood sucking leeches? Just sayin!

Agreed. Hallowman's words are always So thoughtful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wait for the next "verified" button next to usernames.

Quite literally there is one person in this thread that has almost been saying the bolded verbatim, and not just in this thread. I'll give you a hint, he's on probation now.

Where do I say that you can only match ACGME FM w/ COMLEX? I think my point has been consistent throughout this thread and others that you will be limited in term of specialties and your desired specialty locations by only taking the COMLEX.

Where do I say that you can only match ACGME FM w/ COMLEX? I think my point has been consistent throughout this thread and others that you will be limited in term of specialties and your desired specialty locations by only taking the COMLEX.

The answer is a resounding yes unless u want to go unmatched or settle for IM/FM in the boonies.

Come on guys, he threw IM in there too, although it has to be in the boonies apparently.

Come on guys, he threw IM in there too, although it has to be in the boonies apparently.

Thanks for proving my point of me being consistent w/ not taking the USMLE will either limit your specialty choices or desired specialty locations.

Fantastic post! 15 dollar amazon gift card to you!!! @AlteredScale

PS I can't actually give you a gc from sdn.
One thing I didn't mention in my last post is that a number of people from my school only took one exam. Some took Step 1, did well and didn't see the point of taking Step 2 CK. The rest took CK because they regretted not taking Step 1 and it helped them.

Personally I'd recommend planning to take both. Again its all about keeping as many options open as possible. Taking Step 1 and 2 CK does that, whereas the rest aren't all that important.

Maybe, but it won't be anytime soon. States would literally have to change their laws for that to happen.

He wasn't just talking to you. I also said that it wasn't worth it taking it if you get less than 210/215 depending on the specialty.

210 is 1 SD below the average. 215 is like 30th percentile or something. Average was 230 (at least a year or 2 ago), 20 points is the SD.

I don't know man, I hated my life studying and taking Step 1. I'm old enough to know that there's lots of reasons for people to choose not to do something. No point judging them and calling them names. Maybe there's stuff going on in their lives that you don't see. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have taken Step 1 if what happened in my life literally a month later happened before it.

As for the ones really into OMM, well if they're going for FM & OMT or a TRI + NMM then it makes sense for them to only take the COMLEX. There really is no point taking the USMLE in that situation.

Also, I actually really like a lot of OMM for MSK complaints, and I'm a big advocate for taking the USMLE as a DO.

The percentage has hovered around 50% for the last few years. In 2016, it was closer to 55%. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it increasing given the merger.

For more info:
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Performance Data

TY for the data. I love it.

Thanks for proving my point of being limited in either specialty choices or your desired specialty locations.
Except for you aren't limited unless your aspiration is to go to huge academic centers that are largely malignant anyways. I know off the top of my head of five people that took COMLEX only last match. All applied and matched ACGME. 2 matched diagnostic rads, 1 matched anesthesia, 1 matched Med/Peds, and 2 matched *gasp* into family medicine because that's what they wanted to match into anyways.

Your point has been consistent throughout the thread that you are a pre-clinical student that hasn't taken either board exam yet and is giving advice that isn't yours to give, based on pre-conceived notions that are formed from your desire to put everyone else down. Not everyone wants to match IM at MGH, and thus will tailor their application to their specific career goals. It's ridiculous that you don't understand this, and choose to put these students down as lazy and uninterested.

Your point has been consistent throughout the thread that you are a pre-clinical student that hasn't taken either board exam yet and is giving advice that isn't yours to give, based on pre-conceived notions that are formed from your desire to put everyone else down. Not everyone wants to match IM at MGH, and thus will tailor their application to their specific career goals. It's ridiculous that you don't understand this, and choose to put these students down as lazy and uninterested.

Alright, buddy. You should just take the COMLEX and save $600 then.

This is a silly question, competitive is subjective, no? It entirely depends up to what you want to do. You can get away without the USMLE for some specialties and geographic regions, but there is no denying that it will open more doors to you if you do have a set of USMLE scores (even better if they are good scores!) With that being said, students should approach medical school with an open mind because you really should not know what you want to do, realistically, until at least going through your clinical rotations. Some people struggle with pulling the trigger on a specialty until late into 4th year too, so be safe, have the USMLE in case you decide to change into a specialty that would make you more competitive because of it.

Lol'ing over here.

Maybe people are tired of being lied to by the AOA and osteopathic medical school administrators. So they voice their opinion to help others understand there are multiple views on the topic. Not all with a financial incentive to be misleading.

Maybe people are tired of being lied to by the AOA and osteopathic medical school administrators. So they voice their opinion to help others understand there are multiple views on the topic. Not all with a financial incentive to be misleading.

From what I can understand the current president believes students should take the USMLE if they can. Or so my school's student ambassadors have stated.

From what I can understand the current president believes students should take the USMLE if they can. Or so my school's student ambassadors have stated.
Bro. There's still cranial on licensing exams. Enough said.

Bro. There's still cranial on licensing exams. Enough said.

Haven't seen a non sequitur in a while. I don't like cranial either, but honestly suck it up or join the AOA and argue to change it.

Haven't seen a non sequitur in a while. I don't like cranial either, but honestly suck it up or join the AOA and argue to change it.
I am sucking it up. It's not really a non sequitur. Cranial (and much off OMM) only continues to exists essentially for branding. That and billing for placebo.

Except for you aren't limited unless your aspiration is to go to huge academic centers that are largely malignant anyways. I know off the top of my head of five people that took COMLEX only last match. All applied and matched ACGME. 2 matched diagnostic rads, 1 matched anesthesia, 1 matched Med/Peds, and 2 matched *gasp* into family medicine because that's what they wanted to match into anyways.

Just because these alleged people you know matched doesn't mean that they weren't limited. We don't know how many interviews they got, how many they got turned down for, and where they matched on their rank list. Having 10 interview offers and matching at your #3 after applying to 30 programs is verrrry different to having 4 interview offers and matching at #3 after applying to 70 programs. We don't know what their application profile was like, so none of us can say they weren't limited by only taking the COMLEX, so saying "you aren't limited unless your aspiration is to go to huge academic centres that are largely malignant anyways" is naïve, not to mention reeks of sour grapes syndrome.

Just because these alleged people you know matched doesn't mean that they weren't limited. We don't know how many interviews they got, how many they got turned down for, and where they matched on their rank list. Having 10 interview offers and matching at your #3 after applying to 30 programs is verrrry different to having 4 interview offers and matching at #3 after applying to 70 programs. We don't know what their application profile was like, so none of us can say they weren't limited by only taking the COMLEX, so saying "you aren't limited unless your aspiration is to go to huge academic centres that are largely malignant anyways" is naïve, not to mention reeks of sour grapes syndrome.
They all went to over 15 interviews and matched in their top 3. Thanks though for your concern

Some posters are laying the "usmle or unmatched/Dakota FM" on pretty thick, almost as if scaring others into taking it will justify them voluntarily taking an additional high stakes test.

Gonna throw my 2 cents in here. There are Previous AOAs that now only take USMLE after they got their accreditation status here in Michigan. This was told to me by the director himself (ob) and one of my classmates asked him if it was just ob, he said no, the whole hospital is switching to this. so i presume this means FM too.

Gonna throw my 2 cents in here. There are Previous AOAs that now only take USMLE after they got their accreditation status here in Michigan. This was told to me by the director himself (ob) and one of my classmates asked him if it was just ob, he said no, the whole hospital is switching to this. so i presume this means FM too.
What is the status of the match? Is your program going to withdraw from the NMS match and only go NRMP next year?

What is the status of the match? Is your program going to withdraw from the NMS match and only go NRMP next year?
still a second year and this is all based on the conversation i had with the director. I believe all NRMP

What about the idea of prepping and putting all energy into the USLME, and five days later you take the COMLEX but don't score nearly as well as well on the USMLE? I give this hypothetical because the idea of taking Step 1 and then the COMLEX in the same week appears to be such large mental obstacle to achieve success on both. In other words, is it better to do well on Step 1, and below average to average on COMLEX as opposed to just scoring really well on COMLEX alone? As I am about to begin OMS-1, the idea of taking two 7+ hr exams in a 5 day period is slightly intimidating/insurmountable lol.