DMU Preview Day Expectations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Certified Corsair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not seen any recent posts on this and wanted to hear from anyone that knows anything about the DMU podiatry summer preview day outside of what is on the website. I got invited and want to know what to expect, especially when meeting with the faculty. Also, given that it's not cheap to go, is it worth it? Their website says it gives better chance of actually getting accepted but I'm not sure how much to look into that.

Not trying to be picky with it, just curious if anyone knows more or has been.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have not seen any recent posts on this and wanted to hear from anyone that knows anything about the DMU podiatry summer preview day outside of what is on the website. I got invited and want to know what to expect, especially when meeting with the faculty. Also, given that it's not cheap to go, is it worth it? Their website says it gives better chance of actually getting accepted but I'm not sure how much to look into that.

Not trying to be picky with it, just curious if anyone knows more or has been.

Thanks!
Hi there! I'm a current DMU student and I did the preview progam in 2015. (I just posted something really similar in another thread on this so sorry if any of it is repeated information.)

Ok, I would say absolutely go! Especially if you haven't seen the school yet. DMU has incredible facilities. It will also give you a chance to talk to some current students and get the vibe of the school more than interview day will allow. I'm pretty sure it does help you in admissions if you've been to the preview program. I know that used to be the case, but I'm not 100% sure it that's still true. I know 4 kids from my preview day are now a part of the class of 2020 with me! It's usually pretty competitive to get into the Preview Program so if you were given the opportunity I would definitely do it. My understanding is that if you were chosen for Preview Day, the school is already interested in you as a potential student.

As far as what to expect, it's a pretty busy day. Tour the school, learn some suturing, learn how to scrub in/gown and glove, etc. We met with some faculty in the performance lab and in the clinic. I can't stress enough how lowkey it is though. No one is evaluating you. You're in a group and won't be put on the spot in any way.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there! I'm a current DMU student and I did the preview progam in 2015. (I just posted something really similar in another thread on this so sorry if any of it is repeated information.)

Ok, I would say absolutely go! Especially if you haven't seen the school yet. DMU has incredible facilities. It will also give you a chance to talk to some current students and get the vibe of the school more than interview day will allow. I'm pretty sure it does help you in admissions if you've been to the preview program. I know that used to be the case, but I'm not 100% sure it that's still true. I know 4 kids from my preview day are now a part of the class of 2020 with me! It's usually pretty competitive to get into the Preview Program so if you were given the opportunity I would definitely do it. My understanding is that if you were chosen for Preview Day, the school is already interested in you as a potential student.

As far as what to expect, it's a pretty busy day. Tour the school, learn some suturing, learn how to scrub in/gown and glove, etc. We met with some faculty in the performance lab and in the clinic. I can't stress enough how lowkey it is though. No one is evaluating you. You're in a group and won't be put on the spot in any way.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Thank you very much! This is really helpful. So I'm also going to be there through most of Saturday. Is there anything you recommend trying to do in the short time that I'm there outside of the school? Driving and such is limited but I am staying in a hotel on Grand Ave so if there is anything you recommend checking out or trying to do I would love to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! This is really helpful. So I'm also going to be there through most of Saturday. Is there anything you recommend trying to do in the short time that I'm there outside of the school? Driving and such is limited but I am staying in a hotel on Grand Ave so if there is anything you recommend checking out or trying to do I would love to hear!
No problem! Hmm Friday to Saturday... You're just missing the 80/35 music festival which is pretty big. Definitely check out the Farmer's Market downtown. Even if it's not your cup of tea it's a good thing to see because it's absolutely crazy huge and is unique to Des Moines. Lots of food and music. I visited the Farmer's Market on my preview day and it's honestly what convinced me Des Moines wasn't a completely boring city.

If you want night life on Friday, there's actually a ton of really popular bars on Court Ave (downtown). That's where basically everyone in the city goes to drink, so it's always *lit* as the kids say. I would recommend starting at Pints and you can explore from there. The East Village also has a couple decent bars if you're looking for something trendier. There's a sweet arcarde bar called Up Down. It's a little bit of a dungeon, but it's fun. Depending where on Grand you're staying this is all like a $5 uber trip, and it could even be walkable. School to downtown is like a mile and a half.

For food, I would recommend Jethro's BBQ (trickier to get to without a car) or Eatery A which is an artisan pizza place right by the school that has half price beer and pizza every night from 3-6pm. Also it is delicious. The 2020 class will occasionally meet up at Wellman's Pub which is in that same area. It's a favorite for DMU kids after exams because it's right by the school. Pretty awful service and generic bar food though.

The school is located in a great area. You can walk to tons of restaurants and bars, the grocery store is a block away, there's Brueggers Bagels up the street, and Caribou for all your caffeine needs. I don't even have a car here and I've been more than fine all year.

Hope that helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I will actually be seeing you for your scrub/gown and glove demo on the 14th yay!

No problem! Hmm Friday to Saturday... You're just missing the 80/35 music festival which is pretty big. Definitely check out the Farmer's Market downtown. Even if it's not your cup of tea it's a good thing to see because it's absolutely crazy huge and is unique to Des Moines. Lots of food and music. I visited the Farmer's Market on my preview day and it's honestly what convinced me Des Moines wasn't a completely boring city.

If you want night life on Friday, there's actually a ton of really popular bars on Court Ave (downtown). That's where basically everyone in the city goes to drink, so it's always *lit* as the kids say. I would recommend starting at Pints and you can explore from there. The East Village also has a couple decent bars if you're looking for something trendier. There's a sweet arcarde bar called Up Down. It's a little bit of a dungeon, but it's fun. Depending where on Grand you're staying this is all like a $5 uber trip, and it could even be walkable. School to downtown is like a mile and a half.

For food, I would recommend Jethro's BBQ (trickier to get to without a car) or Eatery A which is an artisan pizza place right by the school that has half price beer and pizza every night from 3-6pm. Also it is delicious. The 2020 class will occasionally meet up at Wellman's Pub which is in that same area. It's a favorite for DMU kids after exams because it's right by the school. Pretty awful service and generic bar food though.

The school is located in a great area. You can walk to tons of restaurants and bars, the grocery store is a block away, there's Brueggers Bagels up the street, and Caribou for all your caffeine needs. I don't even have a car here and I've been more than fine all year.

Hope that helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I will actually be seeing you for your scrub/gown and glove demo on the 14th yay!
Sounds great! I'll spend the rest of my shift trying to map out a few of these places lol. Look forward to meeting you next week!

Hey do you know what the attire is for the event?

Yeah I would say clinic attire which basically just means business casual. You're going to be doing a lot of walking so definitely wear comfortable shoes though.

Thanks guys! I never got an email just got the call so had no clue lol

Cannot believe I found this thread and all of you also went... Absolutely loved DMU's preview day.