DMU Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started this thread so people who are certain about where they are going to get to know each other.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the official class! I have to admit that it feels great to be settled and know where I will be going! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys. Yes it does. I was really stressed about the possibility of moving my entire family away from the rest of our family's selling the house, but it is a huge relief to know I will be going to DMU next year. So pumped.

Already bought the white DMU Medicine sweatshirt! :) I will be getting more attire when I go back down to look at apt in late April early May

Hey everyone, congrats on all of the acceptances! I recently recieved my official acceptance letter from DMU in the mail, however I have chosen to attend another school. So I now have a DMU window decal that I have no need for; anyone who wants just shoot me a pm with your address and I'll drop it in the mail

Nice! I was wondering when this thread/group would be created. I'm still on the fringe about staying in Chicago or going to Iowa. Really basing my decision on the chemistry of the incoming class and second look. Hoping to meet you guys sooner or later! :D

Here is a link to the DMU bookstore so you can start outfitting yourself and your friends and family with DMU apparel.

http://www.webmedbooks.com/dmu/default2.aspx

It's nice that they have a clearance section as well. I remember when I was there I bought a pair of DMU shorts for 5 bucks. Though I later found out it was for woman's. No wonder I had to get XL :laugh:

Last edited:
I remember when I was there I bought a pair of DMU shorts for 5 bucks. Though I later found out it was for woman's. No wonder I had to get XL :laugh:

I'm sure you found this out as SOON as you put the shorts on. ;)

:thumbup:

I'm surprised we already have 4 people in the fb group. That's already ~2% of the c/o 2016! :laugh:

Looking forward to meeting you all in a few months. I'll be apartment hunting in April. Wish it would come faster. :woot:

Hey, do you know if all my facebook friends can tell when you join a group? I ask because I still have about 8 months left at my currently stable well-paying job and I don't intend on giving my notice until a month before school starts. I wouldn't want all my facebook friends from work to suddenly see that I'm in the DMU Class of 2016 group. I figured that may raise some questions at work :eek:

Otherwise, I was just going to create another fb profile and join...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you found this out as SOON as you put the shorts on. ;)

Haha you might be right. I may have been fooling myself for the deal :D

Lol that's quite the workaround to not get caught. I think you can delete the recent activities, but if someones prodding around in the Group Pages you belong to, I guess the secret's out

Hey, do you know if all my facebook friends can tell when you join a group? I ask because I still have about 8 months left at my currently stable well-paying job and I don't intend on giving my notice until a month before school starts. I wouldn't want all my facebook friends from work to suddenly see that I'm in the DMU Class of 2016 group. I figured that may raise some questions at work :eek:

Good question. With all the ridiculous changes to Facebook, I have no idea how the privacy stuff works anymore... especially since now EVERYONE can see EXACTLY what I'm commenting/liking ALL the time (yes, I'm referring to that upper right box on the Home page).

It seems like people have more control of what they can see, but less control of what they can allow OTHER people to see. Shouldn't it be the other way around?!

//facebookrant

Sent my deposit in last week. I am 99% sure I will be seeing y'all in August. I am still waiting on a response from the local MD school, but the wife wants me to tell them to pound sand. She thinks DMU you is the place for us.

Has anyone received anything from DMU about login usernames, portal information, etc? I haven't heard anything from them in months, except a "Thank you" email after paying my initial deposit.

Should I give DMU a call to ensure they have received the deposit and conditions of enrollment form? I don't want December 14th to pass up thinking I have my seat reserved when I don't!

According to last year's threat, it appears as though the login info and such did not come out until mid-January, so I am not worried.

Yeah I haven't received anything either, and if something goes out I should get it first, being that I am a 15 minute drive, so 1 day in the mail. And I emailed them in October about my conditions of enrollment and they said I won't receive anything and I can start sending my transcripts in. Mid January we should hear more.

Paid my seat deposit today... very excited... who would have thought choosing a medical school would be tough? Talk about waiting till the last minute for me (had till the 7th to decide)

Has anyone started to look at housing? Anyone looking close to campus?

Paid my seat deposit today... very excited... who would have thought choosing a medical school would be tough? Talk about waiting till the last minute for me (had till the 7th to decide)

Congrats!

Yeah I'm going to Des Moines sometime in June for a couple days to find a place. Within walking distance would be great. I'm sure DMU students occupy a majority of space in the local apartments, so the potential for a study group on weekends will be cool too.

Which reminds me. Nontraditional people coming to des moines: if I can do anything to help, just ask. I grew up in des moines so I am familiar with the safer areas as well as the public and parochial schools. For anyone else, I will be happy to try to answer questions I can about des moines, but I am much less valuable with the DMU area. I know all the streets and locations, but I have no idea how the close apartments are like. Sorry. My expertise is more with families and I have 3 kids myself. Also many notrads may not be interested in living right by DMU.

Basically, if anyone has any des moines area related questions, just ask and I will do my best to help out.

Hey everyone -

So post DMU interview I am going crazy waiting to see if I got accepted so just wanted any opinion on my scores and chances.. MCAT 25, GPA 3.92 Sci GPA 3.95....Currently a chemistry lab instructor at a university and job shadowed a DO that was DMU alum. Felt the interview went pretty well but you guys know the stress of not really knowing. Any honest opinions or confidence boosters would be great! If DMU accepts I am 100% in and never looking back!

Hey everyone -

So post DMU interview I am going crazy waiting to see if I got accepted so just wanted any opinion on my scores and chances.. MCAT 25, GPA 3.92 Sci GPA 3.95....Currently a chemistry lab instructor at a university and job shadowed a DO that was DMU alum. Felt the interview went pretty well but you guys know the stress of not really knowing. Any honest opinions or confidence boosters would be great! If DMU accepts I am 100% in and never looking back!

Your GPA compensates for your MCAT score. Your shadowing position might have given you an additional edge since he was a DMU alum... but maybe not. Statistically, assuming your other ECs are good, you would have a great chance I think.

Hopefully things work out for you!

Your GPA compensates for your MCAT score. Your shadowing position might have given you an additional edge since he was a DMU alum... but maybe not. Statistically, assuming your other ECs are good, you would have a great chance I think.

Hopefully things work out for you!

Thank you so much, my MCAT is of course my big worry but I am hoping for the best! By the way Sorry about posting in a forum based for students already accepted. Thought of that after the fact!

Who wants to be my roommate?? I'm a genius, I'll help you with your hw cause it'll only take me 2 seconds. I'm the best chef you'll ever meet. Cleanliness? No one is cleaner. I'm strikingly handsome, so looking at me all the time will be a treat. Workout partner? I'm your guy! I'm looking for the cheapest option available within walking distance. Why walking distance, well I'm a greenhead and treat our Earth like a princess! Don't want to walk with me? That's fine, I'll carry you to class!

Who will jump on this wonderful roommate opportunity??

(P.S. I am none of those things)

So I'm officially going to be attending DMU in the class of 2016! Whohooo! I'm so glad the application process is FINALLY over. I've totally been lurking on SDN and not posting things, but I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I'm female, 23 years old, from Northern California. I'm into hiking, surfing, camping, and rock climbing. (Things I will no longer be able to partake in while in med school :() I'm also a total nerd who enjoys video games and action movies. I have a serious fascination with insects (particularly colonial insects) and octopi. I majored in Biology and minored in Creative Writing.

Haha! Now you know something about me!

Next, of course, I need to find housing and maybe a roommate....

So I'm officially going to be attending DMU in the class of 2016! Whohooo! I'm so glad the application process is FINALLY over. I've totally been lurking on SDN and not posting things, but I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I'm female, 23 years old, from Northern California. I'm into hiking, surfing, camping, and rock climbing. (Things I will no longer be able to partake in while in med school :() I'm also a total nerd who enjoys video games and action movies. I have a serious fascination with insects (particularly colonial insects) and octopi. I majored in Biology and minored in Creative Writing.

Haha! Now you know something about me!

Next, of course, I need to find housing and maybe a roommate....

Congrats on the acceptance! Look forward to meeting you in August. :)

Looks like the only things we have in common are enjoying video games and action movies (and maybe octopi, since I think they're awesome). Haha. I'm from Texas, so hiking, surfing, and rock climbing are pretty much non-existent here since we have no mountains or large bodies or water (minus the Gulf). I considered minoring in Creative Writing as well! But I decided to minor in Philosophy instead. :D And as much as I respect what insects do for the ecosystem, I despise them... so feel free to capture as many as you want and keep them. ;)

According to one of our future classmates, portal information will be in the mail by next week. I think you'll be able to find a roommate from there. Oh, and don't forget to join our wonderful facebook group if you haven't already: https://www.facebook.com/groups/266541363392822/

So how has this page existed since October and I just now found it? what an SDN fail.

Hahaha yeah being facebook friends and such kinda gave it away :) It may have taken me awhile to find this thread, but at least I was one of the first in the fb group!

Anybody else get their portal info toaday!!!:)

Hey all,
I am going to be a second year DO at DMU. I just rented a 2 bedroom condo right across the street from the school and am looking for a roomate for next year. PM me if interested.

Anyone interested in renting a 3 bedroom house within walking distance of DMU? I'll rent it for cheap. Let me know by PM. Thanks.

Please do not Attend DMU. It is a very bad school. I have a legal right to post this if it is to protect public interest. There is a lot of cheating and fraud at the school.

I have contact the AOA in regards to this matter to see if any Sanctions or fines should be imposed on Des Moines University. I am in the process of starting an investigation with Des Moines University.

I have contact the AOA in regards to this matter to see if any Sanctions or fines should be imposed on Des Moines University. I am in the process of starting an investigation with Des Moines University.

You've already been warned about off-topic posting and cross-posting. Please stop.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I need to let the public know all of the illegal issues that go on at Des Moines University College of Osteopathic medicine. It is only legal and ethical and polite of me to do so. I contacted the President of the AOA and he is looking into the matter.