DMDD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading about DMDD in first aid for psych clerkship 2016 and it says DMDD cannot coexist with odd, intermittent explosive disorder, or bipolar disorder. Then half a page down it says there are "very high rates of comorbidity, especially ODD, ADHD, mood disorders, and anxiety disorders". Am I missing something here? So confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading about DMDD in first aid for psych clerkship 2016 and it says DMDD cannot coexist with odd, intermittent explosive disorder, or bipolar disorder. Then half a page down it says there are "very high rates of comorbidity, especially ODD, ADHD, mood disorders, and anxiety disorders". Am I missing something here? So confused.

FA is correct. Odd, intermittent explosive do not meet diagnostic criteria of DMDD. DMDD is a new dx in DSM-5 so your best resource would be the latter to understand how DMDD applies, why it was created as a new dx, and how to differentiate from BD, ODD.

get a hold of DSM-5.

"Far beyond temper tantrums, DMDD is characterized by severe and recurrent temper outbursts that are grossly out of propor on in intensity or duration to the situation. These occur, on average, three or more times each week for one year or more. Between outbursts, children with DMDD display a persistently irritable or angry mood, most of the day and nearly every day...."

https://www.psychiatry.org/File Lib...-5-Disruptive-Mood-Disregulation-Disorder.pdf

FA is correct. Odd, intermittent explosive do not meet diagnostic criteria of DMDD. DMDD is a new dx in DSM-5 so your best resource would be the latter to understand how DMDD applies, why it was created as a new dx, and how to differentiate from BD, ODD.

get a hold of DSM-5.

"Far beyond temper tantrums, DMDD is characterized by severe and recurrent temper outbursts that are grossly out of propor on in intensity or duration to the situation. These occur, on average, three or more times each week for one year or more. Between outbursts, children with DMDD display a persistently irritable or angry mood, most of the day and nearly every day...."

https://www.psychiatry.org/File Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM-5-Disruptive-Mood-Disregulation-Disorder.pdf
Thank you. Maybe I phrased poorly. But it seems to contradict itself by saying odd etc can't be comorbidities and then later says that it's a common comorbidity. Am I wrong?

Thank you. Maybe I phrased poorly. But it seems to contradict itself by saying odd etc can't be comorbidities and then later says that it's a common comorbidity. Am I wrong?

You are very welcome. I really dont like psychiatry. Oy.

What did you learn from your research of the DSM-5 on this topic?