Ditched the med school dream - but it came back so now i'm here again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Civvi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Made a horrible mess out of undergrad, and for a few years tried to focus on different career paths. Graduated now and working as a sustainability analyst.
took a long time away from med to realize that i still want to do it, and now i'm exploring possible actions again.
Wasn't being dramatic about how poorly I did.
MCAT 505, undergrad cumulative GPA = 3.4, science =3.0
roughly 100 shadowing hrs, 100 hr com service, 600 hr volunteer,
2 years research, but nothing published

What do I need to do for the next few years to give myself a chance at MD? I know - I should look into DO. Would just a post-bac be too little to help me at this point? I'm not sure what else to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Made a horrible mess out of undergrad, and for a few years tried to focus on different career paths. Graduated now and working as a sustainability analyst.
took a long time away from med to realize that i still want to do it, and now i'm exploring possible actions again.

What do I need to do for the next few years to give myself a chance at MD? I know - I should look into DO. Would just a post-bac be too little to help me at this point? I'm not sure what else to do.

The sGPA is a bit low. If you can take some science classes to increase that, it'd help immensely for DO.
If you want to go MD, you'll need to ace a postbacc or SMP (possibly both) and a 510+ retake on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not opposed, I would try and take a few courses to bring up your sGPA. If you do, you should be good for DO schools.

You are already competitive for the majority of DO schools. Where is your state of residence?

Maryland
I know I'm a better candidate for DO, but I'm trying to do MD. I have no shortage of time or money, so I'm willing to do whatever necessary to redeem myself for a chance at MD.

If you're not opposed, I would try and take a few courses to bring up your sGPA. If you do, you should be good for DO schools.

Yeah, I considered DO for a long time but decided against it. I'm more interested in what my chances at MD would be after doing well in post bac and an improved MCAT, or if there's extra steps I should take beyond those.

The sGPA is a bit low. If you can take some science classes to increase that, it'd help immensely for DO.
If you want to go MD, you'll need to ace a postbacc or SMP (possibly both) and a 510+ retake on the MCAT.

Thanks! I'll look into SMP as well, didn't ever think about combining it with a post bac

Stats are lethal for MD, circling the drain for DO. Apply broadly to the latter, especially targeting the newest schools.

Stats are lethal for MD, circling the drain for DO. Apply broadly to the latter, especially targeting the newest schools.

As expected haha. I'm not applying now, though. Aiming for it years down the line. Could an amazing SMP and MCAT retake bring MD chances back to life? I know it's dangerous to convince myself that I could do amazingly well at those after having a history of doing poorly, but I have time and money and am willing to risk it for a chance.

As expected haha. I'm not applying now, though. Aiming for it years down the line. Could an amazing SMP and MCAT retake bring MD chances back to life? I know it's dangerous to convince myself that I could do amazingly well at those after having a history of doing poorly, but I have time and money and am willing to risk it for a chance.
Yes, there are a number of MD schools that reward reinvention. Chances will be best with your state school(s).