Dismissed from school a year after forced coming out by parents and disownment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boxedinhelpme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not going lie, I have zero advice but did want to say I'm very sorry to hear this. I really wish the best for you. Nobody deserves parents that ****ing awful.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry man, your parents sound like absolute pieces of trash. Do you have a diversity or inclusion dean at your school that you could talk to about this first before talking to a committee at large?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man, your parents sound like absolute pieces of trash. Do you have a diversity or in Liston dean at your school that you could talk to about this first before talking to a committee at large?

There's an LGBT resources center at the university the med school is at. I had also been seeing a psychologist (who's also gay) on campus who specialized in LGBT issues, trauma and loss, and life transitions. He is aware of my situation, and probably can write a letter to support me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have any advice other than talking to the lgbt resources you have at your school and any mental health professionals. Otherwise I'm very sorry; it is awful when religious zealotry trumps one's own flesh and blood, particularly when there is excellent clinical data that shows being gay is not a choice. I would never turn my child away; they have condemned themselves to the hell they accuse you of going to. I hope you will get past this period of adversity and succeed in your medical career.

I also do not have any specific or practical advise, but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through, and it's clear that you've had to develop and display great strength and fortitude. Coming from a South Asian background, I can relate to some of the sentiments you've written, as I've heard them too. They are painful, and a constant reminder of the fact that some of the wonderful progress that has been made is not nearly evenly distributed. We have a long way to go, but you surviving is part of that.

Echoing an earlier suggestion, I'm sure if there is a diversity officer or resource, they might be able to understand your position and help you advocate for yourself. Ultimately the school wants you to succeed and wants physicians coming from an array of perspectives, and yours could help others like me for example one day.

You're not alone in this respect, and I and many others are pulling for you. I also hope you're able to take time to heal once the immediate matters are settled. I'm sure others can chime in with better tips!

Last edited:
I hope you do not hold a grudge on your parents. Even though familial love should be unconditional there are many beliefs that are etched in stone that are challenging to change. What they perceive to be correct or incorrect may be very different from your thoughts, or society.

Regarding your situation, you need legal counsel and representation. There should be a way to find free probono? Services if you are in a big city.

I'm so sorry, boxedinhelpme. It sounds like your mother especially was lashing out and trying to hurt you. Being rejected by your parents like that for wanting to be yourself is a special kind of torture (though unfortunately not an uncommon one), and it's honestly amazing that you were able to be as successful as you were considering all the obstacles you've faced. I hope that you're finding the support you need from people who understand your situation, and if not you're welcome to PM me.

I'll repeat what others have said: you need to find yourself an advocate on the administration. While it's important and wonderful that you're seeing a psychologist, outside support won't matter if the committee decides not to take your appeal. Speak with your diversity and inclusion officer and any administrators whom you think would be sympathetic to your situation and ask what you or they can do to make sure you get an appeal. It may be a good idea to speak with the LGBT center as well -- they likely don't have direct contact with the appeals committee, but they may be able to advocate for you and leverage pressure against the medical school to be more considerate of your case.

After you are confident you have a chance at an appeal you begin assembling evidence that each of these incidents were isolated and not part of a larger pattern of academic inability, including a letter of support from your psychologist and medical evidence of your concussion. Provide convincing evidence of a plan for the changes you will be making in order to succeed moving forward, and a good committee should readmit you.

^^^
Your situation is totally legitimate and I think it's worth a shot to speak to one of the admin one on one about the situation. Also, so sorry to read your story. No one should have to endure that kind of treatment, especially from their parents

I hope you do not hold a grudge on your parents. Even though familial love should be unconditional there are many beliefs that are etched in stone that are challenging to change. What they perceive to be correct or incorrect may be very different from your thoughts, or society.

Regarding your situation, you need legal counsel and representation. There should be a way to find free probono? Services if you are in a big city.

OP, I don't see a problem with holding a grudge against people who treated you the way you describe, no matter what their relationship to you. There's a difference between holding beliefs ("etched in stone" [??] or otherwise) and verbal/psychological abuse. The former might merit your reciprocation of tolerance, the latter is as good a reason as any to hold a grudge.

I wish I had useful advice though. I don't, apart from what other people here have said. My guess is there are a lot of options, both institutional and social, that might offer you tremendous support. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 4 users
There's an LGBT resources center at the university the med school is at. I had also been seeing a psychologist (who's also gay) on campus who specialized in LGBT issues, trauma and loss, and life transitions. He is aware of my situation, and probably can write a letter to support me.
First off, OP, I am sorry and distressed to hear of your sad situation. You've definitely had your share of bad luck.

Your counselor and the resource center are your best venues to start an appeal, and more importantly, regain your footing. Dismissals can be appealed, and so you're going to have to work your way up the chain of command, starting with the Dean, and then the University's Provost/Chancellor or CEO.

I have a sister who I have been estranged from for close to 20 years. Conversely, I have some friends whom I consider brother/sister in=-law, and their daughter "D" I call my niece. Your family is who you make, not necessarily those you're related to. Your parents have done so much evil to you I suggest that as harsh as this sounds, you write them off as gone.

I can't suggest re-starting med school upon a reinstatement until your mental and physical health are back to normal. You're been through a lot.

In the worst-case scenario, get back on your feet emotionally and financially, and then apply to DO schools. Mine would take you, given your situation.

I'm asking for help with regards to my situation.

First, a bit of background. I failed one two-week course during my first year of medical school, and had to remediate that during the summer. I met before the academic committee to discuss the situation (was challenging adjusting to a med school curriculum) and I passed with flying colors. Moved onto second year. Wound up sustaining a concussion that adversely affected my second quarter scores, which caused me to fail two courses. I was placed on academic probation, and had to remediate the year.

I was hoping to make a fresh start as far as my second year was concerned, with no distractions and to do things right this time around. Unfortunately, two days after I got the bad news I had to remediate, my mom forced me out of the closet, and disowned me while throwing all kinds of horrifying verbal abuse (i.e. I'm a traitor to the family, I am "evil" for doing this to them, I "chose" these feelings, I'm a complete fraud of a person and the fact that I'm gay cancels out any positive qualities about me, I'm going to hell and I will never be successful as a gay doctor, everyone hates you, she wasted 26 years of her life on me, I'm disgusting, etc) and at the time, I owed about $2200 left from borrowing money to apply for medical school, which she and I had a verbal agreement that I would pay back after medical school. She demanded it back and was threatening litigation to get it back, and I didn't want to have to deal with litigation. She was also pushing to have my health insurance cut off, which I was paying the premiums for, but this was also a very touchy issue as I was supposed to have surgery done in December (was eventually done in March). Had I switched to student health insurance, I would have had to pay $2500 out of pocket, which I didn't have.

My dad kept insisting that I was subverted by the Devil, and he won't condone this "sinful lifestyle", and that the notion of it being biological is bull**** and I am having spiritual issues. And I needed to purge these feelings.

I transmitted the $2200 over to shut my mom up because I decided to attempt to begin severing financial ties and cut off all contact with her. This also wiped out my savings that I had to save for a car, for my third and fourth years.

However, almost all support was cut off by my mom and dad. It didn't occur to me until months later, that my dad was pushing to not have my health insurance cut off, and it never happened.

I managed to survive on funds until the next disbursement kicked in for the beginning of the new year, and by that time, I had less than a few hundred dollars in my checking account.

This had put me under a lot of stress, and while I did perform far better than last year, especially in the major disciplines, I had failed a minor course by 3 points, which puts me under automatic dismissal by the school without consideration by the academic committee. I have to appeal this decision and be met by the appeals committee, which has different people.

Normally, this situation would have called for a leave of absence by the school. Unfortunately, had I done that (and given my dire financial straits), I wouldn't have access to financial aid or help, much less be able to seek mental health services on campus. I was stuck 2000 miles away from my parents hometown, with a one year lease in an expensive city to live in, with no relatives or siblings to depend on, and no car. If I missed a single payment on my health insurance, I would have been dropped from the rolls, and would then be stuck with a $2500 bill if I wanted to have surgery, and there was no guarantee I was going to have a job that pays enough for all of the living expenses, including the health insurance. If I went back to my parents, and this is based on my dad stating that he would have sent me to reparative therapy when I was younger to "fix" this, I would have been psychologically ruined. Furthermore, the surgery was time sensitive.

I also had to pull double duty to make new friends, and attempt to form my own family.

My dad and I are on better terms, and are talking now, but this is based on the assumption that I be celibate, now and forever. My mom told me "it's either this evil lifestyle or a relationship with your parents". I haven't spoken to her in three months, and three months before that, and six months since.

My bigger concern is that the committee is going to look at this globally, and note the academic problems that I have had the past few years. While I have done better this year, I still failed a minor course, and this is going to be held against me. At the same time, however, I was dealing with horrible circumstances this school year, and I recovered from the concussion only to be backstabbed by my mom in particular, and then had the knife twisted in repeatedly, which put stressors in my life that I had to seek extensive psychological counseling for.

So, what do I do? What do I tell the appeals committee?

First, consider how your parents feel. Coming out as gay wasn't easy for them either. I wouldn't treat my children like they treated you, but I would be very disappointed. I have a feeling most parents don't envision their child's wedding with another person of the same sex (I certainly don't). Perhaps you should continue to talk with your father and eventually your mom will come around. Your mother certainly didn't handle this very well, but she is only human. Do not shut them out unless they are harassing/abusing you.

The pattern of multiple failures is extremely troubling. You are not the only person to experience adversity and you have shown your inability to adequately handle it. To me, it seems like you need to grow up. Your parents have way to much control over you and your situation, you are in medical school, right? You should have already paid the debt back to you parents. Health insurance, that sucks, but you're an adult and it is not your parents responsibility to keep you on their plan.

It bet there is more to this story. It sounds like their is a lot of family drama/tension and you still have the mindset of a child in certain ways. I don't think your school is going to be very sympathetic to your story. Too much drama.

Summary: grow up, act like an adult if you want to be a medical student.

I know this situation is tough and you need to work on some issues. My intention was not to be mean, but you need some constructive criticism.

Legal representation for what?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
First, consider how your parents feel. Coming out as gay wasn't easy for them either. I wouldn't treat my children like they treated you, but I would be very disappointed. I have a feeling most parents don't envision their child's wedding with another person of the same sex (I certainly don't). Perhaps you should continue to talk with your father and eventually your mom will come around. Your mother certainly didn't handle this very well, but she is only human. Do not shut them out unless they are harassing/abusing you.

The pattern of multiple failures is extremely troubling. You are not the only person to experience adversity and you have shown your inability to adequately handle it. To me, it seems like you need to grow up. Your parents have way to much control over you and your situation, you are in medical school, right? You should have already paid the debt back to you parents. Health insurance, that sucks, but you're an adult and it is not your parents responsibility to keep you on their plan.

It bet there is more to this story. It sounds like their is a lot of family drama/tension and you still have the mindset of a child in certain ways. I don't think your school is going to be very sympathetic to your story. Too much drama.

I know this situation is tough and you need to work on some issues. My intention was not to be mean, but you need some constructive criticism.

Wow, that's the brazenly ignorant response I would expect from someone with a username such as yourself. To quote Goro, "Medical school is a furnace..." throw in a pair of narrow minded parents holding their child's finances hostage and you have a justifiably miserable time. How is one supposed to focus appropriately for school when you're having to worry about how you're going to pay next month's rent, pay for transportation, eat your next meal?

Or are you under the impression that the entire world is entitled and therefore weak?

Sorry, not trying to be rude, just figured YOU could use some constructive criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 15 users

Strong first post. Not so much. :eyebrow::thumbdown:

Reactions: 6 users
I don't have any advice, but I'm really sorry you're in this situation. I dealt with some similar family stuff my senior year of college. My parents thought that pulling all support would 'fix' me. Nope, just meant I was hungry a lot.

At a certain point, family members realize that their histrionics don't work and either come back to reason or cease to be much of a part of your life. I've had some of both. It's nice when relationships improve, but I'm way better off without the folks who exited my life. For a while there I felt the loss really keenly. I wouldn't have survived that first year without a couple of close mentors helping me through, and economically it was a huge struggle.

Now I rarely think of it. There are plenty of people in my life who want to be a part of it and who respect me, so I won't waste my time on those who don't. I'm not without family, just have a different one than I started out with.

I really hope things get better, and I really hope your school is willing to help you remediate, considering the situation. If you want to vent or talk crappy families, send me a pm or something. Best of luck.

If you've read OP's actual posts and think what his/her parents have said/done isn't abuse then it seems like OP isn't the one with maturity problems...

Reactions: 7 users
Wow, that's the brazenly ignorant response I would expect from someone with a username such as yourself. To quote Goro, "Medical school is a furnace..." throw in a pair of narrow minded parents holding their child's finances hostage and you have a justifiably miserable time. How is one supposed to focus appropriately for school when you're having to worry about how you're going to pay next month's rent, pay for transportation, eat your next meal?

Or are you under the impression that the entire world is entitled and therefore weak?

Sorry, not trying to be rude, just figured YOU could use some constructive criticism.

The REAL QUESTION....Why does a medical student's parents have the ability to "holding heir child's finances hostage?" Really, act like an adult, live like an adult!!! Misery doesn't justify failure and certainly isn't an excuse. How is one supposed to focus? Why is this the school's problem? It is not their responsibility, why does this particular student get to keep trying?

You can call the parents narrow minded, but just because their beliefs aren't in line with yours doesn't make them narrow minded. You must be one of those people who only tolerate those you agree with.

If you've read OP's actual posts and think what his/her parents have said/done isn't abuse then it seems like OP isn't the one with maturity problems...

I'm referring to how things are currently. It sounds like the father is not shutting the child out. I'm simply stating don't shut them out just to shut them out.

I'm referring to how things are currently. It sounds like the father is not shutting the child out. I'm simply stating don't shut them out just to shut them out.

Come on guys. New poster chooses this issue to post about when the OP's post clearly details verbal abuse regardless of finances? Be smart.
:troll:

Reactions: 5 users
Regarding his current precarious situation with his school.

Legal counsel would be ridiculous unless you like donating money to lawyers. The school has done nothing wrong. They have offered multiple attempts to correct the situation and the pattern has been consistent. I hope boxedinhelpme can get one more crack at medical school, but the OP is purely at the mercy of the school (and a lawyer can't help with that).

The REAL QUESTION....Why does a medical student's parents have the ability to "holding heir child's finances hostage?" Really, act like an adult, live like an adult!!! Misery doesn't justify failure and certainly isn't an excuse. How is one supposed to focus? Why is this the school's problem? It is not their responsibility, why does this particular student get to keep trying?

You can call the parents narrow minded, but just because their beliefs aren't in line with yours doesn't make them narrow minded. You must be one of those people who only tolerate those you agree with.

Dude, people plan their lives based on the opportunities presented to them which they take. Are you really too thick to understand this? If your family offers to let you stay at home to save money and you take them up on that offer, the fact that you were benefiting from an arrangement that they didn't have to offer you doesn't make it less stressful or less terrible and manipulative if your family decided to summarily kick you out when they found out you were gay. Same concept here.

I don't know about you, but I don't expect medical students to be financially independent in every case. I expect them to be financially independent if that is what they deem is the best option available to them. Considering that medical students are often hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and make no money, financial independence is often not the best option for them while in school. Not a difficult concept.

Last edited:
Come on guys. New poster chooses this issue to post about when the OP's post clearly details verbal abuse regardless of finances? Be smart.
:troll:

My post may not express views you agree with, but that doesn't mean I'm trolling. Also, I'm simply pointing out the obvious, utilizing verbal abuse as an excuse to be reinstated into medical school probably isn't going to fly. How is third year going to work with this mindset, you are often treated like the dirt or blood on the bottom of the surgical tech's shoes??

The world would be a better place with less people like you.

Reactions: 8 users
Dude, people plan their lives based on the opportunities presented to them which they take. Are you really too thick to understand this? If your family offers to let you stay at home to save money and you take them up on that offer, the fact that you were benefiting from an arrangement that they didn't have to offer you doesn't make it less stressful or less terrible and manipulative if your family decided to summarily kick you out when they found out you were gay. Same concept here.

I don't know about you, but I don't expect medical students to be financially independent in every case. I expect them to be financially independent if that is what they deem is the best option available for them. Considering that medical students are often hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and make no money, financial independence is often not the best option for them while in school. Not a difficult concept.

I don't disagree with most of that. However, that doesn't justify the failing classes in medical school. Really not a difficult concept. Most certainly, the OP knew how his parents felt about gays. This shouldn't have come as a surprise and he shouldn't have revealed it to his parents or planned ahead to move out (i.e. expecting this reaction). Are you really to thick to understand that?

Regarding his current precarious situation with his school.
You arent always allowed to bring a lawyer to these hearings. Even when yoy are, the lawyer cant speak for you. Its also not a legal matter. The school is fully within their right to dismiss him, and his only chance is to plead with them for leniency. Bringing a lawyer can send the wrong signals.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

I don't disagree with most of that. However, that doesn't justify the failing classes in medical school. Really not a difficult concept. Most certainly, the OP knew how his parents felt about gays. This shouldn't have come as a surprise and he shouldn't have revealed it to his parents or planned ahead to move out (i.e. expecting this reaction). Are you really to thick to understand that?

If a medical student told me this played a part in him doing poorly, I would believe that and be sympathetic. I'm fairly confident that my medical school also would have been sympathetic, even in third year.

Additionally, you don't know OP's life. You're speculating. Besides, it's not OP's responsibility to predict the response of his awful, unbalanced parents. Further, occasionally people are allowed to just be victims of their circumstances—this is a fundamental precept of being a compassionate human being in society. It is also a fundamental precept of an accurate understanding of human activity.

Reactions: 3 users
This student has already had multiple failures before this latest string of difficulties. Everyone has their difficulties and I'm not sure if they will help you out or not. Financial difficulties and insurance shouldn't have been too much of an issue for a medical student; take out some student loans for this like everyone else? I almost think the homosexuality thing is irrelevant since the student has already failed twice previously. Third strike and your out?

Compassion would be nice, but would it just prolong the inevitable? Stringing a student along with false hope can be much more painful than just cutting off the problem before it gets any worse.

If a medical student told me this played a part in him doing poorly, I would believe that and be sympathetic. I'm fairly confident that my medical school also would have been sympathetic, even in third year.

Additionally, you don't know OP's life. You're speculating. Besides, it's not OP's responsibility to predict the response of his awful, unbalanced parents. Further, occasionally people are allowed to just be victims of their circumstances—this is a fundamental precept of being a compassionate human being in society.

You don't know the OP's life either. The OP has done poorly multiple times. This isn't an isolated event, there is a pattern. It is not the OPs responsibility to predict the response of his parents, but their response was not unpredictable given their belief which the OP undoubtedly knew about. Furthermore, their response shouldn't have derailed him to the extent of failing a class. Being "sympathetic and compassionate" doesn't mean an endless number of repeats. Sometimes people are victims of their circumstances because they put themself in those circumstances.

This student has already had multiple failures before this latest string of difficulties. Everyone has their difficulties and I'm not sure if they will help you out or not. Financial difficulties and insurance shouldn't have been too much of an issue for a medical student; take out some student loans for this like everyone else? I almost think the homosexuality thing is irrelevant since the student has already failed twice previously. Third strike and your out?

Compassion would be nice, but would it just prolong the inevitable? Stringing a student along with false hope can be much more painful than just cutting off the problem before it gets any worse.

Exactly. This is why I believe there is more to the story we don't know and never will. The story doesn't add up, but most on here will not acknowledge that.

Also, let me guess, you were one of those brazenly ignorant people who thought Trump had no chance?

Post deleted

I wish you the best and don't envy your situation. The best thing may be to take some time off, get your life in order and realistically evaluate how you got to this point (no excuses), and reapply to some DO schools. You need to go into medical school completely independent with a clear mindset.

My post may not express views you agree with, but that doesn't mean I'm trolling. Also, I'm simply pointing out the obvious, utilizing verbal abuse as an excuse to be reinstated into medical school probably isn't going to fly. How is third year going to work with this mindset, you are often treated like the dirt or blood on the bottom of the surgical tech's shoes??

Don't bother, Lucid tends to dance to the beat of her own drum, which often times includes attempts of falsely labelling members as trolls, the ultimate crutch I guess when faced with someone who refuses to be bullied by her.

You arent her first, and certainly wont be her last. I feel she enjoys 'fighting' with members.

You are among many. Save your energy.

Don't bother, Lucid tends to dance to the beat of her own drum, which often times includes attempts of falsely labelling members as trolls, the ultimate crutch I guess when faced with someone who refuses to be bullied by her.

You arent her first, and certainly wont be her last. I feel she enjoys 'fighting' with members.

You are among many. Save your energy.

I think it's pretty reasonable to guess that someone with a username like "lockherup" who is posting about Donald Trump in a thread about a student facing dismissal from medical school is, at least to some extent, a troll.

Action: Lockherup banned (returned troll/banned member)

This is a reminder that even if you disagree with someone, please remain courteous in your responses.

And with that, and since the OP has removed their post, I'm closing this thread. If @boxedinhelpme is still reading this, I am sorry for the situation you're in and that your thread was derailed. I only hope you received some good advice in this thread before it went south. Feel free to PM me if you'd like the thread re-opened.

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.