Dismissed from Ross because of COMP failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefull4med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I recently wrote comp a third time getting a 59. I didn't get the minimum 62 required for a fourth attempt. There was a passing away of a family member and I was pretty distracted. I know, I should have persevered etc. but I was unable to. I was wondering if anyone has been through this or know someone who has successfully appealed for a 4th attempt? I know what I have to do to get at least a passing score the 4th time.

Have started watching DIT, pathoma.

Or would it be better to transfer credits to a university like Windsor? And does anybody know the additional hindrance Ross dismissal would cause in my already low chance of getting residency?

Thanks for your help,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
So I recently wrote comp a third time getting a 59. I didn't get the minimum 62 required for a fourth attempt. There was a passing away of a family member and I was pretty distracted. I know, I should have persevered etc. but I was unable to. I was wondering if anyone has been through this or know someone who has successfully appealed for a 4th attempt? I know what I have to do to get at least a passing score the 4th time.

Sounds like a question you need to ask Ross administration. There is usually an appeal process before dismissal of a student, but you will need to make a compelling argument about why you deserve yet a 4th attempt.
Or would it be better to transfer credits to a university like Windsor? And does anybody know the additional hindrance Ross dismissal would cause in my already low chance of getting residency?

Thanks for your help,

What would that get you? Still gotta nail the Step 1 exam, it's just delaying you more. Disclosing that you were academically dismissed from a Caribbean medical school would likely be the kiss of death for the Match. Transferring to another school strikes me as just running from your underlying problem, gains you virtually nothing, and costs you another round of tuition loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fifteen days does not seem like enough time to figure out what went wrong on each test and rectify that problem.

This is the policy per the Ross website:

"Any student failing to pass the CBSE within three attempts is subject to review by the Promotions Committee-Foundations of Medicine. The Promotions Committee-Foundations of Medicine will then conduct a careful review of the student’s entire academic record, and either grant a student an additional opportunity to take the NBME CBSE."
http://medhandbook.rossu.edu/examinations/

There is no mention of a minimum score required for an appeal for a 4th attempt. I suggest you try your best to figure out what went wrong and try to re-take the test there. Transferring to another school would be, in my opinion and based only on what you've said here, not the smartest move until you exhaust all options at Ross.

You only have six months total to complete this process. Time is of the essence.

Good luck.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
What the heck is going on with all these carib school giving people a 'COMP' exam before allowing students to take step1? My friend is having the same issue at AUC. If people pass all their classes, they should be ready to take the boards...

What the heck is going on with all these carib school giving people a 'COMP' exam before allowing students to take step1? My friend is having the same issue at AUC. If people pass all their classes, they should be ready to take the boards...

This is how they maintain high board scores by filtering students who can't pass the COMP

This is how they maintain high board scores by filtering students who can't pass the COMP

Hahahahahaha oh man. Hardly. Are you kidding me? The NBME Comp is hardly a deciding factor for anybody. If you can tolerate 2 years in Grenada, living in a shack with goats grazing on your tin roof, riding the Reggae bus to True Blue daily, hurricane-force storms monthly, occasional earthquakes, intermittent power outages, palmetto bugs the size of your thumb, random arbitrary curriculum changes, or no refrigerated groceries for 2-3 weeks at a time, a 3 hour exam in Taylor w/o AC when your laptop is shorting out because of humidity ain't no big thing. Oh, don't forget the part where my bedsheets molded in the tropical climate. Or where my SO got Dengue fever and spent 2 weeks in St. George's Hospital while studying for exams. What a joke. You guys have no idea what you're talking about. How many sleepless nights did you spend wondering if your mosquito net would keep you disease-free?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It depends upon how you present your case for the fourth attempt. Sadly they are just interested in maintaining criteria

Hahahahahaha oh man. Hardly. Are you kidding me? The NBME Comp is hardly a deciding factor for anybody. If you can tolerate 2 years in Grenada, living in a shack with goats grazing on your tin roof, riding the Reggae bus to True Blue daily, hurricane-force storms monthly, occasional earthquakes, intermittent power outages, palmetto bugs the size of your thumb, random arbitrary curriculum changes, or no refrigerated groceries for 2-3 weeks at a time, a 3 hour exam in Taylor w/o AC when your laptop is shorting out because of humidity ain't no big thing. Oh, don't forget the part where my bedsheets molded in the tropical climate. Or where my SO got Dengue fever and spent 2 weeks in St. George's Hospital while studying for exams. What a joke. You guys have no idea what you're talking about. How many sleepless nights did you spend wondering if your mosquito net would keep you disease-free?

Chill dude

sound like Southeast Asia, I tottally forgot about malaria when I moved to America

If I were you, I'd find a way to transfer into third year at a lesser school.

There's a reason why they're at a Carib school.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Thanks for your help,
Hey,
I have seen others go through this..... as many as 5 times. Even if there is a death in the family, you must come to terms with it on your own or with help. To get a passing score.... you need to study extra hard. You need to answer RX or uworld questions! BUY NBME practice comp after reading First Aid 2 times.... thoroughly. If you do not understand something, you better ask and explain it to others.

Do not take this in a negative way, but what did you use to study while on the island? Majority of the students I know, use pathoma since 3rd semester and supplement with DIT videos while on the island.

Either way... you must do questions and reread First AID multiple times before taking another NBME... then the actual COMP.

They "should" be ready.... but this is a well devised plan that keeps the passing rate for Step 1 high for these schools. Thats the number fidgeted for the advertisements you've seen online and brochures.

You would be surprise that after 2 years of medical school... most people make it through each test remembering the buzz words and focusing on "professor specific" details. They ultimately have no fundamental basis of why this happen or how that happen. I can attest to that as I have seen this during rotations when there are PIMPING sessions.

Not necessarily. Just because you pass a class does not mean you are ready for anything. At my former school, we had straight-A students get to fourth term and fail the cardio/pulmonary/renal system. The comp exists to level the field so to speak. I honestly believe that if you can't pass the comp, you were either not taught well to begin with or you just memorized and have no idea how to integrate. This is critical at a smaller school. My understanding is SGU does not administer a "comp."

Hey,
I have seen others go through this..... as many as 5 times. Even if there is a death in the family, you must come to terms with it on your own or with help. To get a passing score.... you need to study extra hard. You need to answer RX or uworld questions! BUY NBME practice comp after reading First Aid 2 times.... thoroughly. If you do not understand something, you better ask and explain it to others.

Do not take this in a negative way, but what did you use to study while on the island? Majority of the students I know, use pathoma since 3rd semester and supplement with DIT videos while on the island.

Either way... you must do questions and reread First AID multiple times before taking another NBME... then the actual COMP.

Hmania is wise. I finished years ago so things are probably different, but back then I knew people who successfully appealed for a fourth attempt.

We both know that it's false. There are legitimately people from my DO school whose preclinical grades are around 90-93, scoring 196-205 on their Step 1s. It's all about integrating the materials. Test prep materials do a fantastic job at that.

Hopefully you were able to get an appeal in for your 4th attempt.
I don't know why you were taking COMP every 15 days though. The first attempt at COMP is 2 weeks after your final exam for your last semester and if you fail the windows are once every 6 weeks...
As far as being prepped for COMP goes, I certainly don't have the most spectacular grades on island, but I also don't focus on memorizing pictures that professors want you to know cold, instead I study to understand the material, which doesn't get me high grades on exams but allowed me to come within a few points of passing my practice COMP exam 2 months before the actual COMP (which is in 2 weeks lol). I think it comes down to you own study style and what you're making a priority school wise.
The set passing score for COMP is a 68% which is the equivalent of a 195 on Step 1.