Disciplinary Action from 2010 of sophomore year, will it affect my chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supplelabrador

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had actually forgotten this had even occurred until I started filling out the PTCAS app but I wanted to get some insight into how this might affect my application. In 2010 of my sophomore year of undergrad, I was at a party with friends (obviously underage) and one of my friends ended up needing medical attention so we called EMS for him. He was taken to the hospital and the rest of us were written up for underage drinking. The school I went to used a points system for alcohol violations and all of my points were erased from my record by senior year because I did university service and a drug and alcohol education class. Other than a fine, I didn't receive any other sanctions. Since then I have had a perfect record, not even a speeding ticket, no criminal history whatsoever. Didn't affect my grades at all, I graduated with 3.61 in civil engineering. In fact that semester it happened might have been one of my better overall semesters.

It was a one time mistake but I'm worried it will negatively effect my application. I'm employed full time as an engineer and I've been working for 2 years to take my remaining prereqs at night and I've been using all my vacation time to shadow at different clinics. I've dedicated so much time to getting into PT school and I'm worried now this stupid incident will blow all that hard work. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine it being anything but a positive for you. You showed responsibility at an age when many would be worried about the consequences for themselves. Without a subsequent pattern of alcohol abuse, I don't think they'll give it a second thought.

Sounds like something you could use in your essay to your advantage. Spin the "professionalism" idea in the sense of being a good Samaritan