Disadvantage of taking Hep B waiver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getfat

IM Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Incoming OMS student here.

I'm having a big issue with my pcp ordering the correct quantitative titer for hep B and my school allows me to waive this test.

Has anyone had any issues later down the road taking this waiver?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a big issue with my pcp ordering the correct quantitative titer for hep B and my school allows me to waive this test.

Thanks a lot!

Some (not all) away rotations require it so it's easier to have it knocked out now, but that's the only hang up I can anticipate.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck making friends. They make you wear a sign saying "HepB status unknown."

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine to do the waiver now to get through the matriculation hoop-jumping, but try to get all the titers done for real before 3rd/4th year because hospitals might not accept it.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks a lot!

Dont worry about this waiver! I had the same issue. My pcp ordered the hep b qualitative two times... I already signed the hep b waiver to give me time incase I needed to redo the entire series. The student health center told me over the phone to just update her with the results (once I get the quantitative) and the waiver can be thrown away. The waiver really only affects you in 3 and 4th year for rotations because most hospitals require the immunity.

Also..you can go to a lab instead of pcp for the test. I paid 20 bucks and they did it right the first time for hep b. I still can't believe my doctor messed up my titers two times.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to go to an external lab (Any Lab Test Now) to get all my titers done, as My PCP doesn't do those :(. It costs a bit more, but at least you get it out of the way before it creeps up on you!

Had to get a full immunity titer before matriculating. I dunno if you guys have access to a sonoraquest (abundant here in the southwest), but they offer a full immunity screen (varicella zoster, Hep B, and MMR) that you can order yourself (have to pay out of pocket though) for around ~$100.