Difficulty understanding Maryland licensing requirements for supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted861354

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board, currently deciding whether to apply to counseling or social work programs and where to apply. Part of my research involves looking at the licensing requirements for different states, as I imagine I will want to practice close to where I went to school, since I anticipate most of my early clients will be from referrals in my professional network.

I'm currently looking at licensing requirements in Maryland, and I'm having difficulty understanding the difference between the supervision licensing requirements for LPCC and LPGC.

On the official state licensing requirements page for *LPCC*, it says:
"For Master's level applicants, 3 years with a minimum of 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience in professional counseling under an approved supervisor. Of the 3 years, 2 years shall be post-graduate clinical supervision hours. One year may be acquired before the awarding of the master's degree."

On the same page for *LPGC* it says:
"A licensed graduate professional counselor may practice graduate professional counseling for 2 years under the supervision of an approved supervisor while fulfilling the 2 years post graduate supervised clinical experience."

I'm trying to understand what the difference is between these two - my understanding is that for both, you need 3000 hours under approved supervision, that 1000 comes before graduation and 2000 after. Is the difference that LPGC could see clients on their own in either private or group practice while fulfilling those last 2000 supervision hours while LCPC would need to find an internship?

Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Not from Maryland but I checked out the website. If I'm reading it correctly the LGPC is what you apply for after completing your masters. This is for 2 years 2000 hours supervised by an LCPC. Your internship in grad school if it is 1000 hours can count towards the total 3000 hours needed.

Some states require post graduate non-licensed counselors to "register" with the board by documenting who the approved supervisor will be while they accrue post masters experience. But I would email the board for clarification as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Not from Maryland but I checked out the website. If I'm reading it correctly the LGPC is what you apply for after completing your masters. This is for 2 years 2000 hours supervised by an LCPC. Your internship in grad school if it is 1000 hours can count towards the total 3000 hours needed.

Some states require post graduate non-licensed counselors to "register" with the board by documenting who the approved supervisor will be while they accrue post masters experience. But I would email the board for clarification as well.

That makes sense. Thanks so much.