Differentiating incidene in scientific literature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aioo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hallo,

When I read scientific literature I find it difficult to differentiate between incidence rate and cumulative incidence. I know what the difference is conceptually and can also calculate it myself but I find it much more difficult to recognize it in a text. I will try to illustrate this with some examples.

"In the week from 25 to 31 May (week 22), 12 on the 100,000 inhabitants were reported with influenza-like disease (IAZ) by the GPs participating in NIVEL Care Registry's first line."

here the 12 on 100,000 is an incidence rate. But what are the arguments for it being incidence rate?Because i dont see a period time unit.

2nd example;

In 2012, 477 men and 316 women died in the Netherlands through melanoma of the skin. This adds to 2.0 percent of total mortality from cancer in men and 1.6 percent in women. Melanoma of the skin is therefore a relatively rare cause of death, but increases strongly: from 470 deaths in 2000 to 793 in 2012. Relative to the population, mortality increased for this form of skin cancer from 3.4 per hundred thousand inhabitants in 2000 To 4.7 per hundred thousand
inhabitants
in 2012."

here are the 3.4 per hundred thousand and 4.7 hundred thousand incidence rates. But again there is no person time unit used.

I am searching for a way to confidentially differentiate these two incidences but I can't find any information about it..

Members don't see this ad.