Different Situation for a Non-Trad. Low cGPA, 4.0 sGPA. Best course of action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDThoracotomy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

So I've been reading everything I can on this forum as I have just recently decided to pursue Medicine after some serious soul searching and changes. My situation is unique and I have not been able to find a recent forum with this information. Anyways, long story short, I did not try in college. I was a Division 1 athlete and just was in college to graduate. I put in no effort and finished with a 2.4 cumulative GPA. All of my undergrad courses were humanities with the exception of two general science courses that I got A's in.

However, after some time out of school I have realized medicine is my calling. I am aware I need some GPA repair, but I am currently in a biology and general chemistry class and I have a 4.0 in those courses.

I do not care if I go DO or MD. So my question is, assuming my upward trend and 4.0 in the sciences continues, what is the best course of action to become competitive at any school? Would having a 2.4 undergrad GPA with a 4.0 science GPA, a solid MCAT (right now my practice tests are about 513) and excellent ECs, research, and shadow time make a difference?

According to my calculations completing the Prereqs with a 4.0 will raise my GPA to about a 2.75ish.

Thanks so much guys.

Members don't see this ad.

A 2.75 cGPA will be nearly impossible. If you are resolute, and going to go for it anyways then score as high as possible on the MCAT obviously. However, the real question is how did you "realize" medicine is your calling?

No way around it friend you've got a lot of work to do but its possible.

Best advice is: Retake Pre-reqs, upper level bio/chem classes as postbacc at local university until cGPA/sGPA is at least 3.0.

You have a unique app (D1, reinvention) but you need to get past the initial GPA screen in order for someone to look at your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
No way around it friend you've got a lot of work to do but its possible.

Best advice is: Retake Pre-reqs, upper level bio/chem classes as postbacc at local university until cGPA/sGPA is at least 3.0.

You have a unique app (D1, reinvention) but you need to get past the initial GPA screen in order for someone to look at your application.
I appreciate the advice. I am currently in a Postbacc. My cGPA will be about a 3.1 when I am done and my Science will be between a 3.9 and 4.0 so I am excited about that. I appreciate the confirmation. Thank you

SDN,

So I've been reading everything I can on this forum as I have just recently decided to pursue Medicine after some serious soul searching and changes. My situation is unique and I have not been able to find a recent forum with this information. Anyways, long story short, I did not try in college. I was a Division 1 athlete and just was in college to graduate. I put in no effort and finished with a 2.4 cumulative GPA. All of my undergrad courses were humanities with the exception of two general science courses that I got A's in.

However, after some time out of school I have realized medicine is my calling. I am aware I need some GPA repair, but I am currently in a biology and general chemistry class and I have a 4.0 in those courses.

I do not care if I go DO or MD. So my question is, assuming my upward trend and 4.0 in the sciences continues, what is the best course of action to become competitive at any school? Would having a 2.4 undergrad GPA with a 4.0 science GPA, a solid MCAT (right now my practice tests are about 513) and excellent ECs, research, and shadow time make a difference?

According to my calculations completing the Prereqs with a 4.0 will raise my GPA to about a 2.75ish.

Thanks so much guys.
Read this:
Goro's Advice for DO Applicants in Absence of Grade Replacement