didn't match... I'm horrified...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got interested in ophtho kind of late into third year...like now. I was set on rads for most of the year until I did an elective. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably need a gap year in order to have a chance at matching as I don't imagine I have enough time to have a decent application. Would you guys recommend I apply for preliminary programs and do research during intern year or take a research year between 3rd and 4th year? I spoke to my home program's PD today, and surprisingly she did not give me much information or advice...so I figure this is the next best place to ask.
If you're set on a year off then I'd do that year between m3/m4. You 1) might not have as much time as you think during prelim year to do research and 2) there won't be too many pgy-2 ophtho spots open for you after that prelim year anyway.
But while it is late to have decided on ophtho, if you are a good enough applicant to match in the first place then you're probably good enough to match this year. Taking a year off for research might boost the type of program you can match at but probably isn't essential to you matching somewhere at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I got interested in ophtho kind of late into third year...like now. I was set on rads for most of the year until I did an elective. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably need a gap year in order to have a chance at matching as I don't imagine I have enough time to have a decent application. Would you guys recommend I apply for preliminary programs and do research during intern year or take a research year between 3rd and 4th year? I spoke to my home program's PD today, and surprisingly she did not give me much information or advice...so I figure this is the next best place to ask.

You don't necessarily need a gap year. It would help us to give some advice if we knew the following...

What are your board scores, class rank? Are you at a solid program with known letter writers? Do you have AAO? Do you have any research even if outside ophtho?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You don't necessarily need a gap year. It would help us to give some advice if we knew the following...

What are your board scores, class rank? Are you at a solid program with known letter writers? Do you have AAO? Do you have any research even if outside ophtho?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm an an average to above average student. I do have a home program but was at a different site for third year. 253 step, mostly HP third year. Biggest thing is no research. Did preceptorships summer after MS1. Thought I was going to do IM for 2+ years, then leaned towards rads. Didn't like the rads rotation and here I am after shadowing in ophtho and seeing how it encompasses a lot of what I like in medicine. Honestly never liked research and figured I could get into a mid-tier IM/rads program with a 4th year project or something, but in hindsight that was a mistake..

Last edited:
I decided on ophtho at the same time as you, had a slightly worse step score and had no research and I matched without a gap year. Try to hop on to some kind of project now to have something "in progress" on your app. Or see if there's a quick case report you could bang out. If you just care about matching somewhere, you'll be fine. Only do a research year if you really like research or are dead set on going to a fancy research institution.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an an average to above average student. I do have a home program but was at a different site for third year. 253 step, mostly HP third year. Biggest thing is no research. Did preceptorships summer after MS1. Thought I was going to do IM for 2+ years, then leaned towards rads. Didn't like the rads rotation and here I am after shadowing in ophtho and seeing how it encompasses a lot of what I like in medicine. Honestly never liked research and figured I could get into a mid-tier IM/rads program with a 4th year project or something, but in hindsight that was a mistake..

The post below is correct. With your scores you don't need a gap year. Make friends with your home program. As long as you can get 1-2 awesome Ophtho letters that's fine. Make sure your 3rd letter from IM or whatever is amazing. Consider an away rotation at the beginning of 4th year if want more exposure if you're a likeable guy, although you probably don't need one.