Didn't match advanced, have TY. How can I maximize my chances of getting a rads PGY-2 spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiggieSmalls0324

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, thanks in advance to anyone who reads my post and gives advice. Like the title says, I matched into a transitional year but did not match into my advanced specialty (would prefer not to say what specialty to preserve anonymity).

I feel like my application was pretty solid so I was completely blindsided by going unmatched. I ranked plenty of programs. Here are my stats:
US 4th year MD
~250 Step 1 and 2, Pass on CS
Mostly honors in third year, few near honors, 1 pass
Good amount of publications
Good letters according to my interviewers
No red flags to my knowledge

I tried to SOAP into radiology. I got a few calls but unfortunately no offers.

Right now my plan is to try to get a radiology PGY-2 spot for 2018 while completing my intern year.

Here are my questions.
How difficult is it to get a physician (R) position through the match? Looking at the NRMP table (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf) it looks like there were 95 applicants for 37 spots which seems incredibly competitive. Should I also apply for advanced spots? I would like to avoid that if possible as it would create a gap year.

Is it common for spots to open up outside of the match? If so, how would I hear about them and apply?

Besides doing well during my intern year and getting radiology letters, what can I do to maximize my chances of matching?

Thanks to everyone who made it this far.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, thanks in advance to anyone who reads my post and gives advice. Like the title says, I matched into a transitional year but did not match into my advanced specialty (would prefer not to say what specialty to preserve anonymity).

I feel like my application was pretty solid so I was completely blindsided by going unmatched. I ranked plenty of programs. Here are my stats:
US 4th year MD
~250 Step 1 and 2, Pass on CS
Mostly honors in third year, few near honors, 1 pass
Good amount of publications
Good letters according to my interviewers
No red flags to my knowledge

I tried to SOAP into radiology. I got a few calls but unfortunately no offers.

Right now my plan is to try to get a radiology PGY-2 spot for 2018 while completing my intern year.

Here are my questions.
How difficult is it to get a physician (R) position through the match? Looking at the NRMP table (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf) it looks like there were 95 applicants for 37 spots which seems incredibly competitive. Should I also apply for advanced spots? I would like to avoid that if possible as it would create a gap year.

Is it common for spots to open up outside of the match? If so, how would I hear about them and apply?

Besides doing well during my intern year and getting radiology letters, what can I do to maximize my chances of matching?

Thanks to everyone who made it this far.
See if you can swap into a radiology rotation before graduation. Much easier to get letters and meaningful contact than during a TY.

Also concurrent to applying for R spots in the match, check aunt Minnie forums periodically as spots get posted there too.

If your school has a radiology residency, talk to the PD about your application, and what he'd like to see in an applicant.
If your TY has a program, I'd do the same.
It's also worth contacting the PDs both at the places that interviewed you during SOAP and places you ranked. When possible, go for a face to face and find out what happened, and what kind of feedback they can give you towards making yourself a better applicant the next time around.
Your scores are there. Sounds like you've got the stuff you need on paper, so there's gotta be something that kicked you down the rank list. Own it, and find out what you can fix.
Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask how many places you applied to and what "tier" they were? And then how many interviews you went on?

I'm wondering if your match strategy could have been optimized.

I am a DO who didn't match into a competitive surgical subspecialty last year and just matched into a PGY2 DR program, so I feel like I can answer your question by telling you how i did it.

Since I didn't know which programs would lose their interns this year, I applied broadly. I had 230s/240s step scores, no research, a red-flag distant alcohol charge, and a degree from a no-name DO school, so I went ahead and applied on day one of ERAS to 150+ programs all over the country because the days of being picky were over. There were only a few PGY2 reserved positions open at that time, and I applied to those as well. Did not hear from any of them, however, which shot my confidence down the drain.

In the meantime, I kicked ass in my surgery intern year and collected what I assume to be very strong letters from various surgery attendings and my PD (i wasn't able to get a radiology elective this year).

I was invited and went on 12 interviews for advanced positions, meaning i would be forced to spend a gap year after intern year working at an urgent care. I had resigned myself to that and tried my hardest to stay positive. And then to my utmost surprise, three of these programs revealed during my interview day (not before!) that they had a physician-only PGY2 Reserved position available. My jaw dropped each time, obviously.

I really enjoyed two of the three program/city combos and so I ranked them first and second. I went back with my SO for a second look at one of them and they really vibed and hit it off. I ended up matching at that program! My post-interview communication was very positive and I received great feedback from them. I made sure to emphasize that I was absolutely ranking their 2018 position very highly as well (this was true, I ranked them #3 and #4, ahead of the third not-so-great reserved program even).

In retrospect, apply early, apply broadly, have a great PS showing what you've done differently to better yourself this cycle and what you've learned, kick ass during your TY and get some very very strong letters (no room for mediocrity, they need to say you basically walk on water). Not sure if the second look sealed the deal, but it didn't hurt.

You're the underdog, the used goods, the old Dodge Stratus with a little rust on it. It'll take a lot of work but with some elbow grease and tenacity you can get it! Good luck and remember to enjoy intern year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Openings are often posted throughout the year (mostly early spring) at the auntminnie forums Resident section. Good luck.

I was in a similar position this year and was able to find a R1 spot. It is possible, but these positions will be more competitive. There were somewhere between 8-10 programs with spots available at the start of this year. I had another 2 tell me on interview day that they had a R1 spot open. I had an additional 2 email me later in the interview season and say that a R1 spot had opened up (including the one I matched at). It will obviously be unpredictable where these spots are. Keep an eye on Aunt Minnie and recheck ERAS for new spots that open up while the application cycle is still early. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You can try cold emailing programs and letting them know who you are and to keep you in mind if something opens up. Its not a high yield tactic, but I have heard of someone who got an interview and eventually a spot when a resident left a program and they program director was looking to fill the vacancy.