Did really bad on PCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAgirl228

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this was my first time taking the PCAT...and I did terribly. My composite was in the 33rd percentile. Of course I'm feeling like the world has ended and don't know what I should do. Is it really possible to bring this score up to around 70th percentile? I didn't study much... but I have taken Calculus, General Chem 1 & 2, and Bio 1, and I got an A in each of them. Standardized tests are clearly not my thing... :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is possible. Next time you should take the PCAT a little more seriously

^what roziak said

and yeah. if you study like you had one final exam for all of your courses, then you should be able to do well. just remember to focus and think through every question and answer before answering.

and also, this is just more of a personal thing, but when i took the pcat, i sat close to a really pretty girl and i was happy about it :laugh: and so i felt great about taking the PCAT lol. oh and that pretty girl is in the same class with me at my school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdie,

I also have the question that everyone else is pondering, should I retake? I know my score is on the low end of accepted scores but I feel that my GPA might make up for it. I am an engineering major, who are known for their bad English skills. Please, let me know your thoughts.

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 84
Reading Comprehension: 18
Quantitative Ability: 81
Chemistry: 81
Composite: 69

PharmCAS GPA: 3.82

Thanks,
-Adam

So this was my first time taking the PCAT...and I did terribly. My composite was in the 33rd percentile. Of course I'm feeling like the world has ended and don't know what I should do. Is it really possible to bring this score up to around 70th percentile? I didn't study much... but I have taken Calculus, General Chem 1 & 2, and Bio 1, and I got an A in each of them. Standardized tests are clearly not my thing... :mad:

Great grades in classes + terrible PCAT score = laziness

That's what it tells me at least.

Howdie,

I also have the question that everyone else is pondering, should I retake? I know my score is on the low end of accepted scores but I feel that my GPA might make up for it. I am an engineering major, who are known for their bad English skills. Please, let me know your thoughts.

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 84
Reading Comprehension: 18
Quantitative Ability: 81
Chemistry: 81
Composite: 69

PharmCAS GPA: 3.82

Thanks,
-Adam

I believe that some schools have cut-offs for the subsections. You should contact your schools and ask them if you need to retake because of your reading score.

Great grades in classes + terrible PCAT score = laziness

That's what it tells me at least.

You don't think that its the opposite way around? I kind of thought that was the general consensus. I think that people that do amazing on standardized tests and do not do well in classes are too lazy to study every night to make the A, but for the standardized test they can take a day off and study. It definitely takes more work to get an A in a class than to good on a standardized test, in my oppinion.

You don't think that its the opposite way around? I kind of thought that was the general consensus. I think that people that do amazing on standardized tests and do not do well in classes are too lazy to study every night to make the A, but for the standardized test they can take a day off and study. It definitely takes more work to get an A in a class than to good on a standardized test, in my oppinion.

That's true to a certain extent, but with this type of test you simply can't study it and learn it all in a short period of time. You really have to pick up a lot of it in your classes.

That's true to a certain extent, but with this type of test you simply can't study it and learn it all in a short period of time. You really have to pick up a lot of it in your classes.

thats definitely true. i'm just about "ready" for my PCAT on saturday. i was sweating bullets because i started -seriously- studying about 2 weeks ago (i "started" a month ago, but was half-assing it for the first 2 weeks). luckily, i learned all of the stuff really well in classes and actually remembered the better majority of everything. it came back really well. i've gone through every section for the pcat now and tomorrow/thurs/friday i plan on doing a practice test per day and studying some vocab also.

if i hadn't learned it well in classes, i'd be SOL for sure. way too much stuff to learn.

thats definitely true. i'm just about "ready" for my PCAT on saturday. i was sweating bullets because i started -seriously- studying about 2 weeks ago (i "started" a month ago, but was half-assing it for the first 2 weeks). luckily, i learned all of the stuff really well in classes and actually remembered the better majority of everything. it came back really well. i've gone through every section for the pcat now and tomorrow/thurs/friday i plan on doing a practice test per day and studying some vocab also.

if i hadn't learned it well in classes, i'd be SOL for sure. way too much stuff to learn.

Right, that's why I don't by the BS that you're lazy if you got bad grades but a good PCAT score. I really don't think you can be lazy and still learn the material like that.

I'm sure your smart but pharmacy schools want to see want to see what you really learned in those classes . . . for instance some people can always have the "easy" professors or have the past exams or some stimulus that helps them get that A, this might not be your case and I hope I didn't offend you in anyway but I would recommend for you to practice your test taking skills and learn to solve problems in a different perspective, good luck to you