Did not match to any Ortho program and opted to delay graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iforgotmyname

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out Monday I did not match. I decided to delay graduation instead of going into the SOAP. Looking for experience and advice with this so I may use this year wisely and better my odds to match next year. I only received a handful of interviews and it seems my application was weak due to a low board score and minimal research. Otherwise, I was strong clinically and received great feedback and rec letters. Anyone willing to give advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Research year. But with a low board score you will have a difficult time unless the program where you do research likes you and pushes you through. It's tough. Depending how low the score is, you may want to consider another surgical specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
I found out Monday I did not match. I decided to delay graduation instead of going into the SOAP. Looking for experience and advice with this so I may use this year wisely and better my odds to match next year. I only received a handful of interviews and it seems my application was weak due to a low board score and minimal research. Otherwise, I was strong clinically and received great feedback and rec letters. Anyone willing to give advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I feel your pain. I also did not match. Just talk with your advisors and have them help you come up with a plan. I plan to do research for a year and try again.

not sure if you considered applying into pharma for a job. that is always an option. there is a board certified program that i recently completed that a lot of people who did not match also did.