Did Biomedical Sciences Masters Help With 1st year of Dental School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Was Biomedical Sciences Masters Worth it ?

• Total voters

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of Pre-dents who want to know this answer.

Any insight would be great.

Please provide which classes were WORTH taking or NOT WORTH taking.

And which program did you attend ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any science class you take will be helpful in one way or another.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of the top 10 students in my class did a masters and are obviously doing well. They said their masters program really helped, mostly because they have already seen the material or they have developed more efficient study methods. Programs include Barry University, Midwestern IL, and Rutgers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the top 10 students in my class did a masters and are obviously doing well. They said their masters program really helped, mostly because they have already seen the material or they have developed more efficient study methods. Programs include Barry University, Midwestern IL, and Rutgers.

This advantage dwindles quickly after first year once classes start appearing that are new to everyone.

This advantage dwindles quickly after first year once classes start appearing that are new to everyone.

Not bad, Isn't the 1st year the hardest?

any relief is good

For those who did or didn't do the masters, what did they do differently than an average student? (other than be smart or some innate genetic explanation)
For what I know, most people who did a biomedical science masters are in the top 12. There's one or two people who did one (that I know of) and are not in the top 12.

I'm sure if you went to good undergrad with a strong biomedical science background, you would have a good foundation for the first year courses.
There's another guy who didn't have the traditional science background but had a 4.0 in undergrad who is in the top 12 as well.

Me for example, I had a pretty solid undergrad GPA (3.7) but no strong science background, I'm doing as you would expect.... average. lol It all really depends on your habits and how quickly you can learn new material. Those who had 4.0's in undergrad tend to maintain higher grades.

For what I know, most people who did a biomedical science masters are in the top 12. There's one or two people who did one (that I know of) and are not in the top 12.

I'm sure if you went to good undergrad with a strong biomedical science background, you would have a good foundation for the first year courses.
There's another guy who didn't have the traditional science background but had a 4.0 in undergrad who is in the top 12 as well.

Me for example, I had a pretty solid undergrad GPA (3.7) but no strong science background, I'm doing as you would expect.... average. lol It all really depends on your habits and how quickly you can learn new material. Those who had 4.0's in undergrad tend to maintain higher grades.
Wouldn't most masters ppl be those who didn't get in the first time? Or am I mistaken?

Wouldn't most masters ppl be those who didn't get in the first time? Or am I mistaken?
Yes. You should also note that people who do a biomedical sciences masters and perform well in it are usually the ones who get admitted as well. So not only are those who do the BMS familiar with the material, they did well in the class too.

Yes. You should also note that people who do a biomedical sciences masters and perform well in it are usually the ones who get admitted as well. So not only are those who do the BMS familiar with the material, they did well in the class too.
Not to turn this into an AMA, but what does your day to day schedule look like? I'm starting school in a state school soon too so was just curious

ANY other SDN members have Any insight on the matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to turn this into an AMA, but what does your day to day schedule look like? I'm starting school in a state school soon too so was just curious
We have mandatory attendance in most of our classes. Usually it's 8-4p. If you have any other questions, feel free to inbox me.

my honest opinion, a masters gets you into dental school (provided that you do well of course), and that's about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Any more votes or comments?

I will start my D1 year in dental school in a few weeks (so my opinion and observations have limited validity) but I believe if you truly apply yourself in a masters program or SMP, it will for sure help you in dental school. My masters program put us through the ringer, and I have accrued an immense amount of knowledge in the year that I was in my program. So I believe I am thoroughly prepared for my first year of dental school, much more so had I not done the masters. Will D1 still be difficult? Sure. But any head start is a good thing when it comes to large volumes of information and applicable knowledge.

Of course it is all dependent on the individual student. If one only tries to "get by" in a masters program and not apply their knowledge, then they will be no better off sans maybe a few topics here and there.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a lot of Pre-dents who want to know this answer.

Any insight would be great.

I know people whose gpas were 3.9+ during undergrad but they spent $40k doing this Special Masters while applying to medical schools.

I initially thought they were stupid for doing this but now they were smart and they were right. They were top in the class and got matched into Ophthalmology despite going to midtier medical schools. Meanwhile, most people who had 3.9s as well during their undergrads but saved money ended up in primary care residencies and are now competing with nurse practitioners.

In the future, this trend will be more prevalent. Wealthier people will do better in health professional schools cause they can afford this level of preparation. And of course they will not take out school loans as much as others either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I know people whose gpas were 3.9+ during undergrad but they spent $40k doing this Special Masters while applying to medical schools.

I initially thought they were stupid for doing this but they were smart and they were right. They were top in the class and got matched into Ophthalmology despite going to midtier medical schools. I just wish that i had that money.

It's even better to be one of the smart people that had 3.9+ during undergrad, didn't spend 40k on masters (and losing like 200k+ med income) and still end up in the top of their class at x-tier med schools. There are many of them.

It's even better to be one of the smart people that had 3.9+ during undergrad, didn't spend 40k on masters (and losing like 200k+ med income) and still end up in the top of their class at x-tier med schools. There are many of them.

Yeah i also wish that this happens all the time. But unfortunately not all the time.. if their parents are either physicians or dentists, children will be more likely at the top because of genetics and their whole education background molded them to think and act like gunners.

I am going to make sure that my future children will have the same advantage. Mike Zuckerberg's father is a dentist.

In the future, this trend will be more prevalent. Wealthier people will do better in health professional schools cause they can afford this level of preparation. And of course they will not take out school loans as much as others either.

Doubt this. The "smartest" people I know go in after finishing a bachelors in 2-4 years (4 if double majoring or wanting to enjoy life) then go to top level (top 10 at least) med schools or cheap ones and land the residency they want while also having decent work life balance. They also are tutored since like middle school, do math counts as an elective instead of band/orchestra, take calc as sophomores in highschool, etc, double up or triple up in AP sciences, and take pe in senior year or later so they can be ranked even higher than other peers. They just start much earlier. A masters won't equal the kind of brain training that takes place before most people even consider their futures.

Hi guys lets try to stay on topic. . .

Many SDNers are interested in this type of topic

It will be helpful. Even if you are 3.9ners, dental school is a different game. It's like college football vs NFL.

If you have 3.9 from schools that are notorious for gpa deflation like UC Berkeley, UCLA, U Chicago, or Grinnel, then it would be less helpful.

I initially thought they were stupid for doing this but now they were smart and they were right. They were top in the class and got matched into Ophthalmology despite going to midtier medical schools. Meanwhile, most people who had 3.9s as well during their undergrads but saved money ended up in primary care residencies and are now competing with nurse practitioners.

This is already true and very prevalent- Even at a high school or bachelors level of education.

Any one with any tips of which courses to take?

Any one with any tips of which courses to take?

Taking a course or two is not going to be helpful. Even the fully loaded, hunger game like, grade forgiving SMP that covers all first year courses is not going to help you during your second year.

However, what SMP teaches to these neurosurgery or omfs aspiring 3.9 gunners are strategy, brutality, and mentality. It's not just about knowing easy first year basic science but is more about knowing how to take tests and get grades.