Diabetic test strip/lancets/meter brand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the prescriber has to mention the particular brand in the rx or we can provide whatever we/patient wants?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If it's Medicare Part B, everything has to be spelled out. Exact device, sig, Dx code, Disp #, NPI of provider. Otherwise, use professional discretion.

Reactions: 1 user
if pt profile shows they always come for test strips, but never lancets. does it mean they doing something suspicious? what good are test strips if they never get lancets?

Members don't see this ad :)
if pt profile shows they always come for test strips, but never lancets. does it mean they doing something suspicious? what good are test strips if they never get lancets?

They could just be buying cheap lancets otc but want their ins to cover the test strips

Does the prescriber has to mention the particular brand in the rx or we can provide whatever we/patient wants?

If it's not specified, we just try every brand until we hit one that's covered.... For non Medicare patients of course....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Med B covers lancets and so i dont see why they have to buy it otc separately.

They could just be selling them on eBay. Do an auction search for freestyle or one touch strips. Guarantee you'll find a couple on the 1st page with the Rx labels only half-ass ripped off.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it ok to bill 100 test strips as 90 days if testing once a day? Or bill 100 strips as 30 days if testing TID on medicaid. Do you guys break olen boxes of lancets and test strips to match day supply? What about pen needles?

Is it ok to bill 100 test strips as 90 days if testing once a day? Or bill 100 strips as 30 days if testing TID on medicaid. Do you guys break olen boxes of lancets and test strips to match day supply? What about pen needles?

We don't open boxes but if we get a script for 100 strips for 90 days, we go down in size and give 50 strips and bill for a 50 day supply with a notation.

We don't open boxes but if we get a script for 100 strips for 90 days, we go down in size and give 50 strips and bill for a 50 day supply with a notation.

Seriously! Bill 100 for a 90 day supply. If anyone really cared they would come in 30 and 90 count boxes, not 25, 50 and 100.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am a type 1 diabetic. It's a pain to change lancets every blood glucose test. I only change lancets occasionally. It's admittedly kind of gross, but it's also only affecting me. :) I wouldn't recommend it to patients, but I typically only go through a box of lancets every couple years.

I called Medicare to ask about this. I only spoke to someone staffing the help desk, but they said that it is completely fine to fill a box of 100 strips/lancets used once daily and bill for a 90 day supply. I wouldn't sweat it or make patients take extra trips.

Edit: it's actually more accurate to say "I called Medicare and asked about this." The original reason for the call was something else.

I called Medicare to ask about this. I only spoke to someone staffing the help desk, but they said that it is completely fine to fill a box of 100 strips/lancets used once daily and bill for a 90 day supply. I wouldn't sweat it or make patients take extra trips.

Edit: it's actually more accurate to say "I called Medicare and asked about this." The original reason for the call was something else.

I never knew... just something I was taught a while ago. Thanks!

Medicare = walking a tight rope (in my opinion)

If it's Medicare Part B, everything has to be spelled out. Exact device, sig, Dx code, Disp #, NPI of provider. Otherwise, use professional discretion.

Well, not really. There is only one billing code for test strips. There is a not separate code for One Touch and separate code for Free Style. As long as they write test strips # 100 test daily and have the appropriate ICD code and signature, you are good to go.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have a compatibility chart for test strips/meter and lancing device/lancets?

Why don't you assign a tech to do this? If success then proof the tech is not dumber than a rock

Why don't you assign a tech to do this? If success then proof the tech is not dumber than a rock

what's up with the bad attitude? is this how you're brought up by your parents? or is this how you were taught in school? ppl come here for info and quick references. and you're bitching because this is how you're brought up?

in retail setting, lets say a drug expires in 2 months. However when u fill it for a patient, u remove the pills from original bottle, the expiration (discard after date) is extended to 1 year... the patient can take it far beyond the original 2 month expiration.

Is that what you were taught in school? Or can you own your flaws?

LMGTFY much

BTW the chart may not be accurate as LifeScan claims the Delica lancing device works only with Delica lancets

Is that what you were taught in school? Or can you own your flaws?

it's not my flaws. it's cvs system's flaws. and someday i'll expose it. i said that many times already. why not quote the part where i say i'll sue this company over it?

does anyone have a compatibility chart for test strips/meter and lancing device/lancets?
Check out mpr. Its free, make an account, look for their charts. I remember they had one in compatibility.

it's not my flaws. it's cvs system's flaws. and someday i'll expose it. i said that many times already. why not quote the part where i say i'll sue this company over it?

Because YOU (assuming you are actually the pharmacist) are the one responsible for the final check. Not the "CVS system." If YOU are approving medication this way, then YOU are at fault. Period. I'm not familiar with the CVS system, but every other pharmacy system I've worked with, has the ability to go in and change the expiration date so it prints correctly on the label. I would be highly surprised if the CVS system did not also have this ability. And if you told me it didn't, I would be as disbelieving as if you told me the CVS system can't adjudicate to insurances. I mean, really? If YOU as the pharmacist don't make sure your techs follow proper protocol can change the expiration date in the computer, when a drug is short-dated, then YOU have no legal leg to stand on threatening lawsuits.

Yup.
I would've assumed this was common pharmacy sense.

You call, write down that they said it was ok. Their name, your name, time & date.

You do realize that the posts on this forum have times and dates attached to them, right?

It's painfully obvious that you've fabricated this "whistleblower" thing after being just totally lambasted by the entire forum in that original thread.

Because YOU (assuming you are actually the pharmacist) are the one responsible for the final check. Not the "CVS system." If YOU are approving medication this way, then YOU are at fault. Period. I'm not familiar with the CVS system, but every other pharmacy system I've worked with, has the ability to go in and change the expiration date so it prints correctly on the label. I would be highly surprised if the CVS system did not also have this ability. And if you told me it didn't, I would be as disbelieving as if you told me the CVS system can't adjudicate to insurances. I mean, really? If YOU as the pharmacist don't make sure your techs follow proper protocol can change the expiration date in the computer, when a drug is short-dated, then YOU have no legal leg to stand on threatening lawsuits.

It's in the "Production" screen under "additional info".

As we all know, techs will usually perform at the minimum standard they think they can get away with to make their work easier.

It's likely the case that Sosoo just has poor leadership skills and the techs recognize this.
They probably do a lot of things like this because they realize she won't call them out on it, and sosoo's lack of perspective makes her think the techs do it with all the pharmacists.

Last edited:

what if i'm off that day. and this is happening at every cvs in the country? somehow you're still blaming me? and not the system? i can only work at one store a time. while this is happening everywhere. and you still don't think its the system?

what if i'm off that day. and this is happening at every cvs in the country? somehow you're still blaming me? and not the system? i can only work at one store a time. while this is happening everywhere. and you still don't think its the system?

1) you've presented no evidence that it is happening anywhere else but with you. Given that NOONE else on here seems to have this "problem", but you, it seems pretty clear that the problem is with your individual store and/or individual pharmacist supervision.

2) Cetialpha5 clearly explained the proper procedure for your situation. If proper procedure isn't being followed, then it is the pharmacist on duty, and probably also the pharmacy manager's fault. How is it CVS's fault if individual technicans/pharmacists refuse to follow proper procedure?

Well, not really. There is only one billing code for test strips. There is a not separate code for One Touch and separate code for Free Style. As long as they write test strips # 100 test daily and have the appropriate ICD code and signature, you are good to go.

Do you ever get those medicare specific test strips to use for med B or do you just use whatever?

1)

2) , and probably also the pharmacy manager's fault. How is it CVS's fault......

i'll let the lawyers work it out. there was a story of a photo tech at cvs. he was racist, so the customer brought it to management. management didnt do crap. so after a lawsuit, guess who foots the bill? im sure neither the manager or the tech has millions of dollars in their bank account.

i'll let the lawyers work it out. there was a story of a photo tech at cvs. he was racist, so the customer brought it to management. management didnt do crap. so after a lawsuit, guess who foots the bill? im sure neither the manager or the tech has millions of dollars in their bank account.

Now imagine that same story except the manager is the one trying to sue. Hard to imagine it ends the same way.

More of this "I'm breaking the law and I'm gonna sue my employer for my actions"

Wow, that's surprising.

I'm not familiar with the vast, in depth laws regarding photo techs.

Did the State Board of 1 Hour Photo developing get involved?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Your story has no bearing on the situation you describe. In your photo story, a customer was insulted by a photo techs racism, brought it to management, who ignored it (and I'm assuming the racism continued.) Have you brought your issue about techs & yourself not following proper procedure to management, and had management ignore it or tell you to continue breaking the law? You do not have a lawsuit, which is why no lawyer is willing to take your case without a hefty upfront fee. Even stupider than your posting your breaking the law all over the internet, would be your raiding your retirement account to pay for a lawyer for this bogus lawsuit that you have imagined in your mind.

The most rational thing to do, start following the law. Make sure the technicians know and understand the law. If they are refusing to follow the law on your shift talk to your manager. If your manager does nothing, then talk to the next level of management and start sending the offending technician home. Most important, YOU need to be following the law and setting the example for your technicians.