DESIRED outpatient clinic attire - Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DESIRED outpatient clinic attire - Ophthalmology

• Suit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dress shirt, tie, white coat

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Dress shirt, tie, no white coat

• Dress shirt, no tie, white coat

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Dress shirt, no tie, no white coat

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Nice scrubs with white coat

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Nice scrubs without white coat

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other

• Total voters

corneainterviewseason

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Self explanatory poll. What would be your DESIRED attire when in your outpatient clinic if you could choose?

Note: I made a separate poll for CURRENT attire.

Just curious what most people are doing. I've seen several scenarios during my training: nice scrubs with white coat, suit, dress shirt/tie with white coat, and dress shirt/tie with no white coat. The nice scrubs with white coat sure was convenient and I thought better from an infection risk standpoint, as washing scrubs is easier than washing dress shirt/slacks. Most docs I know, especially residents, don't wash their dress shirts very often. And don't even get me started on ties......

AAANNNDD, for all of the women, I'm sorry I don't know the female equivalents for all of these. I could probably figure it out with google, but that would require work.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what the American College of Surgeons has to say on the matter (although it says OR it includes a line about clinic):

Statement on Operating Room Attire

If you are passing infections from a tie or other attire in an ophthalmology office you are doing something extremely wrong.

Act professional, dress professional, be professional.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I think most patients want their surgeons to look different than their lawyer or the guy that sold them their life insurance. Nice Scrubs + White Coat conveys to the patient that you are indeed a surgeon. I believe that wearing a suit may give patients the wrong impression. You want to look like you've been in clinic or operating all day, not like you just got out of a board meeting. Especially when patients are making the decision to pay $1500-$3000 out of pocket for a premium IOL. I don't want to look like a salesperson of ANY type in that situation. I want to look like a surgeon so that the patient can make the best decision and not feel pressured.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously there are a few exceptions (like quickly seeing a few patients in between cases), but otherwise scrubs have no place in the office. If you're operating in the morning and have patients in the afternoon, you have time to change.

I think the white coat is important, wether using scrubs or dress shirt

Reactions: 1 users
I will never wear a white coat again once residency is over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Obviously there are a few exceptions (like quickly seeing a few patients in between cases), but otherwise scrubs have no place in the office. If you're operating in the morning and have patients in the afternoon, you have time to change.
Could not disagree more. I know several ophthalmologist, both comp and fellowship trained who wear scrubs every day. I will absolutely be joining that club when I'm done with training.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a generational thing. There are more and more ophthalmologists rocking nice, embroidered scrubs (not the flimsy ones you use in the OR) that look very stately. Millennials like me are starting to embrace this, though I will probably be wearing a suit for some time.

Also, part of the reason why this is catching on is not because of laziness - it's the trend of a "capsule wardrobe" to keep things simple, and more importantly so you don't have to think about your clothes and your outward appearance. The less decisions you have to make about things like this, the more energy you can expend on clinical and surgical work. Article below gives a good summary.

New Retina MD

It's a generational thing. There are more and more ophthalmologists rocking nice, embroidered scrubs (not the flimsy ones you use in the OR) that look very stately. Millennials like me are starting to embrace this, though I will probably be wearing a suit for some time.

Also, part of the reason why this is catching on is not because of laziness - it's the trend of a "capsule wardrobe" to keep things simple, and more importantly so you don't have to think about your clothes and your outward appearance. The less decisions you have to make about things like this, the more energy you can expend on clinical and surgical work. Article below gives a good summary.

New Retina MD

Your article lists a reason to wear scrubs is to "preserve brain power." Sorry, I can't take that seriously.