Designating MD AND/OR MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Often in secondary applications there is a spot to specify whether or not to be considered for MD if you are not accepted to the MD/PhD. I've generally been checking both MD and MD/PhD consideration for these, but I was wondering if it would be viewed poorly if you didn't choose to be considered MD-only as well? The implication being that you aren't wholly committed the to MD portion of the track. I know it must be more complicated than this considering funding source and career goals, but just wondering what people thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in admissions (obviously) but I can't imagine that it will significantly influence your application either way. Other people have worried that clicking "consider me for MD after" will make the committee think you're not committed enough for the combined degree. I suspect it's a purely administrative question, and the committee doesn't care either way (or even see the answer). Just know that if you do choose to be evaluated as an MD applicant after MDPhD, at a lot of schools you'll be thrown into the pool later and may be at a disadvantage timing wise.

the committee doesn't care either way

Second this. I believe at most institutions, this is an administrative checkbox that determines whether your application goes to the bottom of the MD adcom's stack after MSTP rejection.

If an MD/PhD committee rejects you for this asinine reason, consider it a bullet dodged.

Reactions: 1 user