Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, I have been refreshing my email like a maniac! Congratulations to everyone who got accepted off the wait list a short while ago!!
Right? I'm second quartile and I didn't even get the most recent "waitlist confirmation" email. I guess I'm lower in the quartile...?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email from admissions asking me to confirm my interest to remain on the alternate list. Has anyone else received this? They asked me to promptly respond by tomorrow. I hope this means they plan to start making offers soon!

Yup, I got the same email. The next wave of acceptances is coming

I got the "are you still interested?" e-mail and then 20 minutes later I got off the waitlist! Yippee!!

Holy ****, accepted!!!!!

I got the same email and was accepted an hour later!

Sorry for the multiple messages today :p Once again, congratulations to you all for getting accepted off the wait list today!! Do you mind sharing when your deposit deadlines are?

Also @raven232 I think your message was inserted within the quote, but I think you might've been asking about any first quartile person who hasn't yet received the email. Don't worry, I am on the same boat as you! I keep checking and hoping, but I hope to hear soon! Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!!! I'm so pumped . DMU was my favorite school I visited (even out of the MD programs). If there was zero MD vs DO bias I would choose it in a heart beat, but I think I'd end up withdrawing if I got an MD acceptance later on just for the increased residency prospects.

Anywho, tangent over, the deadline for the seat deposit is 5/15 so we have two weeks to decide.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the multiple messages today :p Once again, congratulations to you all for getting accepted off the wait list today!! Do you mind sharing when your deposit deadlines are?

Also @raven232 I think your message was inserted within the quote, but I think you might've been asking about any first quartile person who hasn't yet received the email. Don't worry, I am on the same boat as you! I keep checking and hoping, but I hope to hear soon! Hang in there!

@physiciandreamforlife thanks for letting me know! Hopefully we hearing something soon. Good luck to you!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Got the email asking if I was still interested in the waitlist yesterday and got an email saying I was accepted first thing this morning! :) :) :)

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Also, is there anything at orientation for family members such as parents?

Congrats to everyone who got in! Can't wait to meet you all this fall!

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Also, is there anything at orientation for family members such as parents?

Congrats to everyone who got in! Can't wait to meet you all this fall!

This is the response I received when I contacted admissions:

"The white coat ceremony will actually be combined with the Rite of Passage event and will take place during the spring of your second year to signal the transition to clinical years. This is the first year that we are transitioning the white coat ceremony and we are very excited about it! You can plan to have a big celebration during your second year where all family and friends are invited to attend."

Kind of a bummer, but I guess it makes sense.

"The white coat ceremony will actually be combined with the Rite of Passage event and will take place during the spring of your second year to signal the transition to clinical years. This is the first year that we are transitioning the white coat ceremony and we are very excited about it! You can plan to have a big celebration during your second year where all family and friends are invited to attend."

WHAT? That's so late!! My parents were so excited to go to my white coat ceremony and now they're going to have to wait until I'm halfway done with medical school? :(
Even the previous classes thought the original white coat ceremony in late September was late..

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not even going here, but wow that would suck

DMUCOM isn't the only school that do this. NYITCOM also have their white coat ceremony after pre-clerkship years!

I guess the tease is real.

DMUCOM isn't the only school that do this. NYITCOM also have their white coat ceremony after pre-clerkship years!

I guess the tease is real.

Seems like it makes sense though...you aren't really a "doctor" until you start clinicals anyway. Still sucks though I really wanted that coat up front haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
So I know the ceremony won't be until second year, but they won't give white coats at all to first years?

I thought you were required to wear them when seeing simulated patients and other events, how exactly would that work now without white coats lol? Any current students care to share some insight?
Oh, yeah. Good point. Anyone know?

So I know the ceremony won't be until second year, but they won't give white coats at all to first years?

I thought you were required to wear them when seeing simulated patients and other events, how exactly would that work now without white coats lol? Any current students care to share some insight?

I don't see it being a big issue. What is stopping those things from happening without a white coat? Most of the physicians I've shadowed don't wear a white coat.

I believe that they said we would still order our white coats during orientation when I called and asked, but I think we just wear them for like SPAL? Idk if we will wear them for anything else though

Has anyone not received the quartile email, but received the "please confirm interest" email? I have been accepted elsewhere, but DMU is my top choice and I'm really trying not to email admissions AGAIN haha. Thanks, and congrats to the lucky folks who have gotten that acceptance email! Send some luck this way;)

Has anyone not received the quartile email, but received the "please confirm interest" email? I have been accepted elsewhere, but DMU is my top choice and I'm really trying not to email admissions AGAIN haha. Thanks, and congrats to the lucky folks who have gotten that acceptance email! Send some luck this way;)

I'd double check your spam folders for the email and then call/email admissions if you can't find it. It doesn't make sense to not send the quartile rankings to everyone on the WL so I would be concerned there was an error or something.

Oh, yeah. Good point. Anyone know?
You will still get a white coat. It will have to be worn for SPAL, shadowing, some clinical volunteering, if you go to the capital to lobby... The ceremony is all that got moved(I know its a bummer and they should have better communicated this to the incoming class). The 2021 Facebook group is your best resource for questions you don't want to send to student life/admissions. There are some 2020 students in there and a couple of your 2021 classmates are current masters students at DMU so they have a fair bit of information. The FB group is what you guys make of it. It can be a great resource for the class. Good luck to those of you on the bubble. One of my DMU classmates was selected July 25th off the waitlist. Enjoy your summer. Relax. Reset

Got the call this morning!! I was in the 2nd quartile, there is hope people!

Got the call this morning!! I was in the 2nd quartile, there is hope people!
Also got the call this morning coming from the second quartile!! SO excited!

Also got the call this morning coming from the second quartile!! SO excited!

What did they say over the phone call?

Edit: I realize now that this is a dumb question :p I'm assuming it's an acceptance call, so congratulations!!!

Last edited:
I went to sync my DMU email to my phone and was hit with this huge list of permissions to grant (see pic). Not sure if this is standard for med schools but I thought it was pretty intense, particularly the disabling the camera part. I guess I won't be syncing my emails to my phone at DMU...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-16-17-30-32-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-16-17-30-32-1.png
    153 KB · Views: 128
Got the call this afternoon from the 2nd quartile! Beyond excited!

I went to sync my DMU email to my phone and was hit with this huge list of permissions to grant (see pic). Not sure if this is standard for med schools but I thought it was pretty intense, particularly the disabling the camera part. I guess I won't be syncing my emails to my phone at DMU...

I agree, those permissions seem a bit excessive. I wouldn't be quite as worried about disabling the camera as much as being able to factory wipe the phone. A lot of times, administrative apps, etc for phones need ridiculous permissions. For example, my work phone has to have all those permissions to be able to wipe it if it's compromised, make me frequently update passwords with strict criteria, etc. But that's a phone that my employer provides and I use almost exclusively for work stuff, so I don't mind. But I won't be giving an app permissions like that on my personal phone just to be able to access email. I can't see a time that I have to send/receive an emergency email without having the time to log in through the browser if need be. I assume this is all to reduce liability because potentially HIPAA protected info will come through your student email, but still...that's crazy.

I agree, those permissions seem a bit excessive. I wouldn't be quite as worried about disabling the camera as much as being able to factory wipe the phone. A lot of times, administrative apps, etc for phones need ridiculous permissions. For example, my work phone has to have all those permissions to be able to wipe it if it's compromised, make me frequently update passwords with strict criteria, etc. But that's a phone that my employer provides and I use almost exclusively for work stuff, so I don't mind. But I won't be giving an app permissions like that on my personal phone just to be able to access email. I can't see a time that I have to send/receive an emergency email without having the time to log in through the browser if need be. I assume this is all to reduce liability because potentially HIPAA protected info will come through your student email, but still...that's crazy.

All great points, the camera being disabled bothered me because it's such an integral part of my phone and would affect me the most in day to day life. On the bright side, it's good to know DMU takes cyber security seriously.

Accepted yesterday from the second quartile!!! My gf was looking at this thread when we got the call, so weird. This whole process has been humbling. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Almost all current students have it sync'd through outlook app. You will get a microsoft package on your school laptop. No need to grant permissions that I remember and I have outlook on my IPad and IPhone. As you will find out, DMU puts everything you have to do on an Outlook calendar for you. Everything. You just learn to live your life according to your Outlook calendar.

Almost all current students have it sync'd through outlook app. You will get a microsoft package on your school laptop. No need to grant permissions that I remember and I have outlook on my IPad and IPhone. As you will find out, DMU puts everything you have to do on an Outlook calendar for you. Everything. You just learn to live your life according to your Outlook calendar.

Thanks for the tip! The Outlook app doesn't require any added permissions, that's so weird. I was trying to sync it with my phone's default email app.

Does anyone know if DMU caps the number of elective/audition rotations you can do out of state during fourth year?

Does anyone know if DMU caps the number of elective/audition rotations you can do out of state during fourth year?
This year there were 3 or 4 required rotations: FMx4 wks, community or international x 4 wks, inpatient IM x 4wks and EM x 4wks if you didn't do it 3rd year. You set up ALL your 4th yr rotations on your own. It may be difficult to get many if any in IA so expect to move around for 4th year. Your rest of the year can be whatever electives you want, and you can do up to 16wks in any one specialty. our 4th yr needed to add up to a total of 44wks. The other requirement is that over the course of all rotations (3rd and 4th year), you have to have 20wks with a DO attending as you main supervisor/evaluator.

:) Just got the notification! I'm accepted!

welp.

Last edited:
Whoa. Accepted from the third quartile a few mins ago.

Surreal. I've been driving past this school for years. Never thought I'd get to be a student here.
So excited.

Congrats! Yeah...I was placed in the 4th quartile...but got a "please reconfirm your interest for a spot" email today. Very surprised actually!!

Hi! Can any current DMU students provide some insight on what the typical first year schedule looks like? About how many days are you typically on campus each week? I know some DO Schools that I interviewed at told us the only day each week they were required to be there was for OMM and the rest of the lectures were available online or in person and you could choose how you watched them. Is this true at DMU? Or are there other required on campus lectures/labs to attend?

Last edited:
Congrats! Yeah...I was placed in the 4th quartile...but got a "please reconfirm your interest for a spot" email today. Very surprised actually!!
Same for me. Did you hear back anything else yet?

Hi! Can any current DMU students provide some insight on what the typical first year schedule looks like? About how many days are you typically on campus each week? I know some DO Schools that I interviewed at told us the only day each week they were required to be there was for OMM and the rest of the lectures were available online or in person and you could choose how you watched them. Is this true at DMU? Or are there other required on campus lectures/labs to attend?

Personally, I can't study at home so I'm always on campus studying (either in library, study rooms, etc). In terms of attendance, the classes that are required are: OMM lecture (1/week @50 min) and lab (1/week @1.5 hrs each), Anatomy lab (1-2x/week @ 2hrs each), clin med lab (1/week @50 min).
Also during first semester, medical ethics is required (2 hrs each lecture) but I believe there is only ~10 lectures or so.

Personally, I can't study at home so I'm always on campus studying (either in library, study rooms, etc). In terms of attendance, the classes that are required are: OMM lecture (1/week @50 min) and lab (1/week @1.5 hrs each), Anatomy lab (1-2x/week @ 2hrs each), clin med lab (1/week @50 min).
Also during first semester, medical ethics is required (2 hrs each lecture) but I believe there is only ~10 lectures or so.

I think I saw that someone had posted their schedule this year and they have Tuesday exams. Is that accurate? It would be awesome for me if so, because Monday exams actually wouldn't be ideal for me personally.

I think I saw that someone had posted their schedule this year and they have Tuesday exams. Is that accurate? It would be awesome for me if so, because Monday exams actually wouldn't be ideal for me personally.

For the most part, exams are on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays.
In the fall semester, you'll mostly have 1 exams a week (sometimes 2) and they are mostly on Friday.
In spring semester, you'll have 2 exams a week (sometimes 3) and they are usually on Mondays/Tuesdays and Fridays.

hope that helps!