Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who have interviewed and are wait listed, any idea when/if we will hear from DMU again? I've been wait listed since early December and haven't heard a word from them since.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, I believe on my interview day financial aid said that most students (against the advice of the school) take out the full amount of loan money each year which is somewhere around $73,000 and that the most common scholarship used is the work/study program. I looked through the pamphlet they gave us and the scholarship section provides no real info other than to check the website. Also, I know that DMU usually has a handful of people on full military scholarships which would skew that number unless they removed them from the data set.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For people who have interviewed and are wait listed, any idea when/if we will hear from DMU again? I've been wait listed since early December and haven't heard a word from them since.

Last year in April they sent the wait list folks an email to confirm our interest in the wait list. We completed an online form and submitted any updates at that point. A week or so later they sent out quartile rank so you had an idea where you stood.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my rejection letter. It doesn't mention anything about the waitlist.

Last edited:
I just got my rejection letter. It doesn't mention anything about the waitlist.

Sorry to hear that, rejections are rough. On the bright side, any interview that you've learned something from isn't an interview wasted. Keep truckin on to the next one and improve every step of the way.

Accepted today! Interviewed 2/2. So excited, will be attending!!

Reactions: 3 users
Been on pre-interview hold forever ...hoping for an interview!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an interview invite. Surprised as I have been on hold since Sep/Oct. There are only two dates left that I can attend, but I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should go. The lengthy hold combined with only two dates left make me think that my chances aren't very good. Any advice?

I just got an interview invite. Surprised as I have been on hold since Sep/Oct. There are only two dates left that I can attend, but I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should go. The lengthy hold combined with only two dates left make me think that my chances aren't very good. Any advice?

Do you have an acceptance from another school yet? If not then it's a no brainer.

Do you have an acceptance from another school yet? If not then it's a no brainer.
Good point, I do not. I'm still waiting on two decisions. I scheduled for the 17th, hopefully that's not too late.

II today as well! I have been on hold since september. Also interviewing on the 17th.

II yesterday. :) Scheduled for the 23rd.

Does anyone know roughly how many people are accepted post interview? Percentage wise? Just curious as I know some schools accept 80+ percent and others it is way lower!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know roughly how many people are accepted post interview? Percentage wise? Just curious as I know some schools accept 80+ percent and others it is way lower!
From what if heard its near like 60% or so

I just got the email asking for updates and my interest in staying on the wait list. Does that mean that they're going to stop interviewing soon and the cycle is almost over? Or are they still scheduling March interviews?

I just got the email asking for updates and my interest in staying on the wait list. Does that mean that they're going to stop interviewing soon and the cycle is almost over? Or are they still scheduling March interviews?
I'm assuming you're referring to the wait list post-interview? When I scheduled my interview for last Friday there was only one available date in early March, but the email I received said that more dates could be opened in March if they need them.

:) Interview yesterday was fantastic. I loved this school, so I'm really hoping to hear some love back.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone here on the waitlist? Man it's going to be a rough wait for their waitlist offers to come... especially with other offers out there that I'm pretty happy with (MUCOM). Advice for the DMU waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone here on the waitlist? Man it's going to be a rough wait for their waitlist offers to come... especially with other offers out there that I'm pretty happy with (MUCOM). Advice for the DMU waitlist?
Me! I'm not sure what to all include in my update e-mail to them or if it really even helps to send in updates. I graduated since my interview and started a 1 year BS to BSN program and I don't know if that will help or hurt me in their eyes. Any ideas anyone?

Still waiting to hear from my 2/16 interview and getting anxious! Has anyone heard anything yet?

Still waiting to hear from my 2/16 interview and getting anxious! Has anyone heard anything yet?
The adcom actually didn't meet last Wednesday because of a conference or something else going on. That's why those who interviewed that week (16th and 17th) haven't heard anything yet. However, they are supposed to meet today, and there is a good chance we hear from them tomorrow.

The adcom actually didn't meet last Wednesday because of a conference or something else going on. That's why those who interviewed that week (16th and 17th) haven't heard anything yet. However, they are supposed to meet today, and there is a good chance we hear from them tomorrow.

This is why I love student Dr. network, always someone with an answer! Thank you! I was starting to worry maybe they forgot about me Lol

Me! I'm not sure what to all include in my update e-mail to them or if it really even helps to send in updates. I graduated since my interview and started a 1 year BS to BSN program and I don't know if that will help or hurt me in their eyes. Any ideas anyone?

I probably wouldn't mention joining the BSN program in fears of them looking down on prematurely leaving the program. TBH even if you're planning on deferring a year to finish, it may still be looked down on for this cycle. I'd 100% talk about it if you have to apply next cycle.

got the good news today! Interviewed 2/16

Any chance that 2/23 would hear today or tomorrow too? I figured I'd hear with the 2/16, 2/17 group but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Congrats to those that got in. Those that are on the WL, keep your head up. Big class=alot of movement.

Last edited:
Alt list :( pretty bummed out
DO schools (AFAIK) don't have a "commit" day, so to say like the AAMC requires MD acceptees to announce. So, I don't know when the biggest movement will happen, but it undoubtedly is still early.

Last edited:
Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students

For most classes it was something like this, there are maybe 1 or 2 classes you need above an 80 to pass. I'm a third year now so things may have changed slightly.
90 and above - A-/A/A+
80-89 B-/B/B+
70-79 C-/C/C+
<70 = F

Yes, they rank students by GPA on a quartile system.

I interviewed in October and was waited listed in November. I got the "opt-in to wait list" email last week, still waiting to hear back

DO schools (AFAIK) don't have a "commit" day, so to say like the AAMC requires MD acceptees to announce. So, I don't know when the biggest movement will happen, but it undoubtedly is still early.

Actually, on May 15th AACOMAS sends all the schools a list of students who have accepted offers at each school. They only started doing this a couple years ago, so it's similar to AAMC now. If you don't decide by then and hold multiple offers, you might get rejected by the schools who accepted you since they will think you might end up declining your offer. I'm guessing there will be more movement in late April/early May, but I'm not sure if people will wait that long

Anyone else placed on the alternate list and not receive this "opt-in to wait list" email? I was only put on the alt list about a week ago, but I'm wondering why they have sent that email to some and not others. Any ideas?

Anyone else placed on the alternate list and not receive this "opt-in to wait list" email? I was only put on the alt list about a week ago, but I'm wondering why they have sent that email to some and not others. Any ideas?
I got the same "if you would still like to be considered, no action needs to be taken at this time" email. No idea why the difference.

I did not receive this either. Only the initial email saying that I was placed on the waitlist.

I didn't receive the opt-in email for the alternate list until roughly 3 weeks after I got the initial decision. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Sent from my LG-H820 using SDN mobile

Got the email today, looks like we must wait until early May until we hear about our rank on the list.

What do you mean?
Maybe they're guessing that DMU will start ranking candidates on March 15th since that's the last day to submit updates? Anyway, in the email I received it said DMU will email us our ranking no later than May 5th, 2017.

Maybe they're guessing that DMU will start ranking candidates on March 15th since that's the last day to submit updates? Anyway, in the email I received it said DMU will email us our ranking no later than May 5th, 2017.
Yeah I think you're right. Although I'm wondering if we were actually given individual dates for the deadline to submit any updates, based on when we were placed on the alt list. I say this because my email states that I have until march 22nd to submit them. I also spoke with admissions today, who said that something received prior to March 27th will likely be considered by the committee. So my guess is that we have our own individual deadlines, (maybe a couple weeks or so) and the hard deadline for when they stop accepting updates from everyone is March 27th.

Yeah I think you're right. Although I'm wondering if we were actually given individual dates for the deadline to submit any updates, based on when we were placed on the alt list. I say this because my email states that I have until march 22nd to submit them. I also spoke with admissions today, who said that something received prior to March 27th will likely be considered by the committee. So my guess is that we have our own individual deadlines, (maybe a couple weeks or so) and the hard deadline for when they stop accepting updates from everyone is March 27th.
That is interesting - my e-mail said mar 15 for updates so you must be right. What an amazing school. <3

We can't submit updates after the 15th.?

I informed the admissions office today of my decision to decline my admissions offer.

I was thoroughly impressed by DMU! I hope some good news is sent out soon.