Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It varies from site to site. Id say majority are preceptor based.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is that why most people recommend KCU over DMU? I have interviewed at DMU and will soon interview at KCU. I really liked DMU. I felt very comfortable there. I have just read about how residencies look down on preceptor based rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 1/6.

Reactions: 1 users
Is that why most people recommend KCU over DMU? I have interviewed at DMU and will soon interview at KCU. I really liked DMU. I felt very comfortable there. I have just read about how residencies look down on preceptor based rotations.

To be entirely honest, this whole preceptor vs ward based rotations stuff is overrated. Would it be beneficial to have ward based? Yeah. Is it gonna make or break you? No. Again, the reasons people think ward based is better is because you experience the resident team atmosphere and you learn how to present patients, etc. I have been fortunate to experience both during my third year rotations and to be entirely honest I prefer the preceptor based because I get a lot more hands on experience and that's how I learn the best. Will I be behind my peers who have had ward based? Not likely, but I'm a self driven learner and whatever inadequacies comes with having preceptor based rotations I'll find a way to supplement with whatever resources I can find and I have plenty of confidence in myself to be just fine when I get to my subI's. So I guess if you're the type of person who needs to be guided through everything and you need to have more structure to your clinical learning then yeah wards based is probably better for you. I'm just not going to buy into the idea that wards based is some magic pill to make you a good doctor and that preceptor based makes you a bad one. Whatever structure your rotations are, you'll be fine. DMU's rotations are solid, not spectacular, but they certainly aren't crappy either.

So in no particular order, go to the school that is ideally located for you (and potentially your family), has a cost you can stomach, established and has a good reputation, and that you will undoubtedly be happy attending because you have to be there every single day for 2 years minimum.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look on SDN there's a disproportionate amount of KCU students here, so there's a greater favoritism towards that school. That's why more people here recommend KCU over DMU. I had to choose DMU vs KCU, and it was a tough decision. I think it's all personal preference because the school and education itself is pretty equal. Not sure exactly, but both places have a majority of preceptors. Only the public DO schools really have a lot of wards.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late to submit a secondary now?
I did not consider submitting one until I recently shadowed an alumnus of Des Moines.

Got another "your application is currently on hold" email this morning... I wish they'd just deny me already instead of stringing me along :bang:

I did not consider submitting one until I recently shadowed an alumnus of Des Moines.

I say do it. Especially if you can get a LOR from that alum, who knows what can happen. But get it in ASAP. Good luck!

Same here! I just submitted my secondary here yesterday, really hoping for a II!! The DMU Alumni I have met are awesome.

Accepted this morning, really loved this school! Now for a really tough decision on where I want to go!!

Woop, accepted this morning as well! Loved my experience on campus and could see myself being an Iowan!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my seat deposit today. See you all in the summer!

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted. 3.4 cpga, 3.38 sgpa, 505 MCAT, upward trend.

They've sent me the "on hold" email like 3 times over a few months.

Admitted! Having trouble deciding between here and NSU-COM, anyone care to weigh in between the two?

Admitted! Having trouble deciding between here and NSU-COM, anyone care to weigh in between the two?

Where are you from? Where's your family/support system? Do you absolutely hate cold weather? Is there a significant cost difference? Do you have any thoughts about where you hope/plan to settle down and practice?

You'll be fine with the education you get from either one. Your board scores are fully dependent on you no matter what anyone tells you. So if I were you I would figure out where you think you'll be happiest and trust your gut.

Where are you from? Where's your family/support system? Do you absolutely hate cold weather? Is there a significant cost difference? Do you have any thoughts about where you hope/plan to settle down and practice?

You'll be fine with the education you get from either one. Your board scores are fully dependent on you no matter what anyone tells you. So if I were you I would figure out where you think you'll be happiest and trust your gut.

This sounds like a good metric to decide by. I'm from the southern states, so I have no major ties to either area. I think that I could adapt well to cold weather, so no qualms there. Tuition is relatively comparable between the two areas (~$55k at NSU, ~$47k at DMU). During each interview day, I had a better gut feeling about NSU-COM but that may be due to better vibes from the weather + my interview group that day.

I have no idea where to begin when it comes to comparing their curriculum schedule and rotation sites though.

This sounds like a good metric to decide by. I'm from the southern states, so I have no major ties to either area. I think that I could adapt well to cold weather, so no qualms there. Tuition is relatively comparable between the two areas (~$55k at NSU, ~$47k at DMU). During each interview day, I had a better gut feeling about NSU-COM but that may be due to better vibes from the weather + my interview group that day.

I have no idea where to begin when it comes to comparing their curriculum schedule and rotation sites though.

I don't know much about rotation sites at NSU but DMU has solid rotations. Nothing spectacular, so it's obviously not game changing in my opinion. I'm sure NSU has solid rotations as well because they aren't a brand new school. I think you'll get a relatively comparable clinical education between the two. NSU being in Florida may give you more access to research opportunities. DMU really only has the research on campus and then the nearest medical centers with medical schools are U of Iowa and Nebraska which are both about 2-2.5 hrs away.

The DMU curriculum is good. It isn't specific to boards. My class did well above average on COMLEX and of the students that took USMLE our average was about the national mean. It isn't in blocks which is something I feel I would hate. I don't really know much about curriculum at NSU. My best advice would be to not discount what your gut seems to tell you. I love DMU and my gut told me it was the place to go after my experiences on interview day and just how the atmosphere felt.

I don't know much about rotation sites at NSU but DMU has solid rotations. Nothing spectacular, so it's obviously not game changing in my opinion. I'm sure NSU has solid rotations as well because they aren't a brand new school. I think you'll get a relatively comparable clinical education between the two. NSU being in Florida may give you more access to research opportunities. DMU really only has the research on campus and then the nearest medical centers with medical schools are U of Iowa and Nebraska which are both about 2-2.5 hrs away.

The DMU curriculum is good. It isn't specific to boards. My class did well above average on COMLEX and of the students that took USMLE our average was about the national mean. It isn't in blocks which is something I feel I would hate. I don't really know much about curriculum at NSU. My best advice would be to not discount what your gut seems to tell you. I love DMU and my gut told me it was the place to go after my experiences on interview day and just how the atmosphere felt.

I appreciate the feedback! I've got some reflecting to do for the next week.

How likely is it to be offered an interview after being on pre-interview hold? Just curious as I'd like to either get the rejection or know when to expect a final decision regarding being offered an interview. Just wanting some closure! My stats are decent, 3.6c 3.57s 506, great ECs, and my DO letter went to DMU

How likely is it to be offered an interview after being on pre-interview hold? Just curious as I'd like to either get the rejection or know when to expect a final decision regarding being offered an interview. Just wanting some closure! My stats are decent, 3.6c 3.57s 506, great ECs, and my DO letter went to DMU
Very similar stats to you as well and my DO also went to DMU! I called the school last week and they said a hold means there is a decent chance you'll get an II but couldn't guarantee one.

just got an interview invite today. I submitted way late around Dec/Jan due to not really finding what I liked in other schools that I interviewed at. is there a real chance of getting in even though I am interviewing on about the last possible date? they offered it today and it is next thursday.. been accepted to a few DO schools but not sure if theyre right for me

Anyone for 1/19, 1/20 interviews hear back yet?

I'm on the pre-interview wait list, does anyone know if that list ever moves at all?

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys tomorrow! DMU seems like it's in such a college town and I'm loving it so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for a strong interview performance but mainly trying to just enjoy the experience. Good luck everyone!

I'm on the pre-interview wait list, does anyone know if that list ever moves at all?

It does move! I was invited to interview in February after being on the pre-interview wait list for several months. I was wait listed after interviewing in March, then accepted off the wait list. It can happen! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, fantastic day at DMU today. They honestly had the most structured and well put together interview day that I've ever seen, props to admissions for that. Also the dean is probably one of the most interesting and accomplished people I've ever met, I felt like we were one anecdote away from him confessing he used OMM on a grizzly bear in the mountains of Montana.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm interviewing here on Friday. I got a week's notice for it, but it's pretty close to home, so it isn't too big of a deal. This is one of my top picks, and since it's one of the largest medical schools, I hope I've got a good chance.

Also the dean is probably one of the most interesting and accomplished people I've ever met, I felt like we were one anecdote away from him confessing he used OMM on a grizzly bear in the mountains of Montana.

What stories did you get? The person stuck in a mechanical grinder? The attempted murder on his life through hit and run? Saving an electrocuted man's life with a flashlight?

He should be a Dos Equis spokesman.

Attachments

• The-Most-Interesting-Man-In-The-World.jpg
    The-Most-Interesting-Man-In-The-World.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
What stories did you get? The person stuck in a mechanical grinder? The attempted murder on his life through hit and run? Saving an electrocuted man's life with a flashlight?

He should be a Dos Equis spokesman.

Haha its hard to remember them all right now. We heard the mechanical grinder one but not the other two! The big stand out ones to me were:

-How his research in killer bees led to him curing two leukemia patients who were totally unresponsive to traditional treatments
-How an off the cuff criticism he made to an NHL coach after a game led him to being invited back to the locker room and subsequently hired as the teams doctor during their Stanley Cup playoff run
-A few stories from his time in the special forces as well as being invited to the White House to speak
-How his niece was the first child diagnosed with glioblastoma multiform that was entirely cured (although paralyzed from the waist down)
-How he was the first to diagnose and discover a rare form of Lupus that attacked a special type of joint (previously not classified as a joint) in the esophagus

Then there were a few general ones about showing up MDs using OMM and a much more patient centered care. But yeah the dude is def a contender for the most interesting man in the world and he could totally pull of the look of the dos equis guy if he was like 20 years older

Interviewed 1/30, accepted today via email

Reactions: 5 users
Still in pre-hold. Really hopeful to hear back still.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Still in pre-hold. Really hopeful to hear back still.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Same since July. Somehow we've survived the rejection pile at least 3x this application cycle but i can't help but feel like we are getting silently rejected.

Also interviewed 1/30, placed on the alternate list.

Same since July. Somehow we've survived the rejection pile at least 3x this application cycle but i can't help but feel like we are getting silently rejected.
It makes me wonder if they do reject people pre-ii at all

It makes me wonder if they do reject people pre-ii at all
They did in august. Look a lot earlier in the thread. I haven't seen any pre-II rejections this spring though. That could be selection bias though.

II today after being on pre interview hold all cycle. Do you guys think an interview in 2 weeks is to late?

Reactions: 4 users
I was interviewed today in a group of 15. It was a really relaxed interview. They were really interested in my research, so I hyped that up as much as possible. The stories about the dean were true: he was an interesting guy. He seemed pretty strict though. He said they care about making capable doctors more than your grades, because if you screw up in your residency, it'll make the school look bad. I hear back in two weeks. I think I've got a decent chance.

Haha its hard to remember them all right now. We heard the mechanical grinder one but not the other two! The big stand out ones to me were:

-How his research in killer bees led to him curing two leukemia patients who were totally unresponsive to traditional treatments
-How an off the cuff criticism he made to an NHL coach after a game led him to being invited back to the locker room and subsequently hired as the teams doctor during their Stanley Cup playoff run
-A few stories from his time in the special forces as well as being invited to the White House to speak
-How his niece was the first child diagnosed with glioblastoma multiform that was entirely cured (although paralyzed from the waist down)
-How he was the first to diagnose and discover a rare form of Lupus that attacked a special type of joint (previously not classified as a joint) in the esophagus

Then there were a few general ones about showing up MDs using OMM and a much more patient centered care. But yeah the dude is def a contender for the most interesting man in the world and he could totally pull of the look of the dos equis guy if he was like 20 years older

Not to mention that he was a farmer who just happened upon this career choice because of his wife!

II today! I've been on the pre-II hold since ~October so don't give up hope people!

I am looking to apply here next cycle, and was just wondering if anyone could clarify something for me. When looking at Des Moines pdf profile on http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_dmu-com.pdf?sfvrsn=10, it says that their tuition $45k, but it also says that their average scholarship is $35k. Does anyone know how many students get chosen for this scholarship or have any more details about it?
upload_2017-2-8_10-42-11.png