Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there will be an accepted students day so that we can re-visit the campus? If so, does anyone remember approximately when in the past this day was?

This question might have been asked, but for some reason my SDN search function isn't working.
They used to have one in March, but I don't know if they held one for last years entering class. Definitely call admissions to find out if they've got something planned.

Members don't see this ad.

Just paid my deposit, super excited!!

Me too!!!!!!!! Today!

Does anyone know if there will be an accepted students day so that we can re-visit the campus? If so, does anyone remember approximately when in the past this day was?

This question might have been asked, but for some reason my SDN search function isn't working.

I've been trying to look that up for days and haven't found anything. I was thinking of calling and asking admissions. Partly because my online search for apartments isn't really fruitful.

Reactions: 1 users
II for December 16th, not sure if I should attend or not. Can anyone shed light on how Des Moines stacks up against KCU

I only interviewed at both campuses so I can't say in too much depth... But I thought they were both great schools and at the same caliber. For me the big thing was if you preferred a certain curriculum over the other. Personally I think I would have liked KCU's curriculum better, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

DMU sweeps KCU in regards to the gym though!

Members don't see this ad :)
my interview is this friday. Is it intimidating to have three people interview at once? That's how it is done here correct?

my interview is this friday. Is it intimidating to have three people interview at once? That's how it is done here correct?

Haven't interviewed here, but have interviewed with a 3 person panel and I didn't think it was too intimidating. Just make sure you address your responses about equally to each of the people so one doesn't feel like you're not talking to them. I realized I wasn't talking to one of the interviewers midway through my interview and made sure to correct it haha

How close to the full 60 days of being under review are they sticking before giving out II's? Was put under review on 10/21 and haven't heard back. Good idea to call or no?

I interviewed here and it was easily the most laid back interview I have had thus far in the cycle. We laughed a bunch throughout the interview and I it was actually kinda fun.

Interviewed at both! Honestly both schools are great and have a lot of similarities. For DMU rotations, they have more half year rotation than full year options so a little more moving during M3-M4 depending on your lottery luck. Area is a lot more surburban than KC, but very friendly. The downtown was quite alive the weekend I went for my interview too.

Not sure what you mean by half year vs full year, but the majority of rotation sites for DMU during 3rd year are year-long sites, last years numbers were around 150 to 160 year long spots and 70-ish non-year long. A year long site implies your entire third year curriculum takes place at that hospital or its surrounding clinics which are for the most part within 30 to 40 mins of the hospital. So there isn't much moving around during 3rd year unless you choose to do so as a non-year long student. Benefit of non-year long is you can schedule a bunch of your third year yourself if you have enough connections.

4th year is left up to you as a student at DMU and they don't do much with planning things for you, but this is relatively the same at most medical schools MD or DO. They only have a couple requirements for 4th year, 4 week of FM, 4 of inpatient IM, 4 of EM (if you didn't do it during third year), and 4 of either rural, community, global, or another FM. The only thing about DMU is if you try to encroach on the DSM territory during 4th year you have to run it by the clinical affairs office. Personally I would prefer it this way, I am fortunate to have a 3rd year clinical site who is excited and willing to help us set up our 4th year rotations within their hospital system so I can just continue to stay in one spot until auditions.

How close to the full 60 days of being under review are they sticking before giving out II's? Was put under review on 10/21 and haven't heard back. Good idea to call or no?
I got mine around 38 days after being complete (complete on 9/30). I've seen people get II's after 60+ days though, so it varies. Good luck!!

Interview was very relaxed. I walked out with a smile on my face. You can talk to DMU students during lunch and they'll tell you all about your interviewers. I've interviewed at two schools 3 on 1 and two 1 on 1. I actually enjoy 3-1 interviews more. Like @RamsFan&FutureDO said make sure to space your eye contact / responses with the three interviewers. The interview book I read recommended starting AND ending you answer on the person who asked the question. In the middle of your answer space your eye contact between the other two interviewers. I was accepted at both places I interviewed 3:1 (DMU and CCOM). I haven't heard back yet from the other two schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received email on 11/18 that file was complete. Received II on 11/23.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a bad idea to call and inquire? Today is day 40.

I emailed them earlier this week and was told it would be closer to 60 days until
I received a decision. The email said that I should see a decision email around the 1st of the year (I was complete in the last week of October).

Just got the Acceptance email!!!!! I absolutely loved the school. Barring any major changes I plan on matriculating here. LizzyM 67, interviewed 11/17

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the Acceptance email!!!!! I absolutely loved the school. Barring any major changes I plan on matriculating here. LizzyM 67, interviewed 11/17
I'm about to board my plane to go here. What do you like so much about it? What part of town should I check out near DMU?

I'm about to board my plane to go here. What do you like so much about it? What part of town should I check out near DMU?
The faculty seems willing to go above and beyond for their students, the facilities are nicer than any school I've interviewed at(DO or MD), and even though the school is over 100 years old I got the impression that the administration is willing to make changes based on student feedback. All around I left my interview day feeling like it was a great fit. Of course no medical school is perfect and they all have their problems. One of the issues at DMU I've heard about is the amount of clinical instruction in the second year curriculum isn't beneficial for preparing you for boards. Obviously a current student can speak to the validity of that concern better than myself.

The city of Des Moines seems big enough to have something to do when you want to, but small enough to help you stay focused on studying. Zombie burger is solid, so I'd check that out.

I received an interview invite on 11/28 (completed 9/15), but I ran out of funds for this cycle. I am withdrawing my II and opening it up for you guys. Good luck!!

How soon after your interview did you send a thank you card?

I emailed my thank you notes in pdf format. I sent mine two days after I interviewed. I make it a rule for myself to send them within one week. Sending it quickly also helps because you can remember small, but important, points from the interview to talk about in the thank you note.

Scheduled my II, but after careful consideration I will be taking my talents to south beach... just kidding but I will be withdrawing my application. Good luck to everyone may the odds be ever in your favor

Secondary submitted!

Secondary submitted!
No offense but I feel that submitting a secondary is nothing more than a donation to the university at this point in the cycle

No offense but I feel that submitting a secondary is nothing more than a donation to the university at this point in the cycle

At what point was submitting a secondary too late? I submitted mine like a week before Thanksgiving and even I felt like I was late. Originally, I thought it was fine because people said one was not late applying to DO schools until Dec-Jan.

At what point was submitting a secondary too late? I submitted mine like a week before Thanksgiving and even I felt like I was late. Originally, I thought it was fine because people said one was not late applying to DO schools until Dec-Jan.
Well it depends on the school. For instance KCU is already booked for interviews through march
And dmu takes 60 days to review your file and by then who knows what interview spots will be available come mid February

In all honesty it depends on stats. High MCAT and High GPA's with no other issues on their app, yeah they can submit later and still have pretty good chances. Low MCAT or Low GPA's or both, probably not advisable to apply this late in the game.

In all honesty it depends on stats. High MCAT and High GPA's with no other issues on their app, yeah they can submit later and still have pretty good chances. Low MCAT or Low GPA's or both, probably not advisable to apply this late in the game.
If spots are filled and interview spots are filled no stats will save you
Additionally high stats applying later may look like an applicant that went MD and was not having success, panicked and applied DO. This does not sit well with any DO school and will actually act negatively on the chances of an interview or acceptance.

If spots are filled and interview spots are filled no stats will save you
Additionally high stats applying later may look like an applicant that went MD and was not having success, panicked and applied DO. This does not sit well with any DO school and will actually act negatively on the chances of an interview or acceptance.

Thank you captain obvious, clearly if there's no spots it doesn't help anyone no matter what the stats. But if there are openings and they are reviewing applicants high stats will get a better look. Guaranteed.

In addition, most DO schools will jump on high stat applicants. Anything to pad those averages which improves the appearance of the schools quality. Don't even try to kid yourself that the numbers don't matter. Why do you think higher stat applicants are interviewed earlier in the cycle at DO schools?

Thank you captain obvious, clearly if there's no spots it doesn't help anyone no matter what the stats. But if there are openings and they are reviewing applicants high stats will get a better look. Guaranteed.

In addition, most DO schools will jump on high stat applicants. Anything to pad those averages which improves the appearance of the schools quality. Don't even try to kid yourself that the numbers don't matter. Why do you think higher stat applicants are interviewed earlier in the cycle at DO schools?

Well there's no reason to be rude. However I have to disagree with you on the high stat applicant matter. It doesn't take much searching to find someone with exceptional stats that only applied DO and was left in the dark.

Well there's no reason to be rude. However I have to disagree with you on the high stat applicant matter. It doesn't take much searching to find someone with exceptional stats that only applied DO and was left in the dark.

Not being rude, just partaking in some casual debate. You can disagree with me and I'm fine with that, however you're the one sitting on the other side of the fence as still a pre-med. You're also trying to use small numbers to justify your opinion, show me mass numbers of individuals with solid stats getting shut out from DO schools and then maybe you'll have a leg to stand on in your argument. You could argue the more established and traditional DO schools (like DMU, KCU, ATSU) won't be as keen to just throw high stat applicants an interview purely based on stats. But what about MWU's schools both AZCOM and CCOM? It is well known across these forums to not even apply if your MCAT doesn't approach the 30 mark, or whatever that correlates to on the new MCAT.

The fact of the matter is numbers get you in the door and get you looked at, it doesn't take much to expand on that concept to realize that even if you apply later in the cycle (as in Dec or Nov), your chances are much better than a candidate with lower numbers even if they have been in the cycle for longer. As you are soon to be a medical student, I recommend you embrace the concept that unfortunately numbers matter until you have matched to a residency, your MCAT mattered to get you into med school, your step I and step II/level I and level II numbers are going to matter for residency, even your GPA/class rank may matter depending on what field you want to go into.

Reactions: 2 users
This is just n=1 of course, but I submitted my secondary about a week before Thanksgiving and got an II to DMU. A date far before February or January, at that. So what I'm getting at is if you don't mind potentially being out 60 bucks or so, it's a good idea to apply if you're interested in attending.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected post interview...

Interviewed 12/2. Accepted this morning! I love the quick turn around time.

Interviewed on the 2nd. Accepted today. Lizzy M 69. I gotta say my interview seemed a lot tougher then this thread made it out to be. The open file nature made it easy for the interviews to pick apart details of my academic history. Examples: My choice to attend a community college during my first 2 years of undergrad, as well as why I dropped a class during my Junior year.

Overall I enjoyed the atmosphere of the school and it definitely feels as though it has more resources than most DO schools especially the newer ones in the south east.

Complete 11/2, II 11/7, interviewed 12/2, accepted 12/8!! Love the fast turn-around! Lizzy M 68. The whole day including the interview was very relaxed. The students were very genuine, and it seemed like an excellent school.

Reactions: 3 users
Any idea when they start going over their pre-II hold list??

Still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but this is my first acceptance so very relieved! Congrats on your acceptance @sunshinefl!! Are you planning to attend?

Congratulations to you also! Well, like you, this is my first acceptance. I really do love the school. I paid my deposit, and have continued to learn more about DMU. I currently have one more interview scheduled with a school that could compete with DMU if I got accepted. Although of course I will have a better idea after I interview there. I'm pretty excited for this school though and am grateful to know I have the path to become a physician. To give you an idea, I added Des Moines to the cities I track on my weather app lol.

Congratulations to you also! Well, like you, this is my first acceptance. I really do love the school. I paid my deposit, and have continued to learn more about DMU. I currently have one more interview scheduled with a school that could compete with DMU if I got accepted. Although of course I will have a better idea after I interview there. I'm pretty excited for this school though and am grateful to know I have the path to become a physician. To give you an idea, I added Des Moines to the cities I track on my weather app lol.
Just out of curiosity where in Florida are you located and how do you think it will be adapting to REAL winter? I already feel too cold here in the panhandle lol

Just out of curiosity where in Florida are you located and how do you think it will be adapting to REAL winter? I already feel too cold here in the panhandle lol

I'm in Gainesville. And LOL I have no idea but that's actually the last thing I mentioned to my interviewers after we had all stood up and were saying our goodbyes. I said "When I come here, (yes, I said WHEN!) I'm going to need a life class on how to live in the cold." I feel you though, there's been some nights this week I've put the heat on, worn 4 blankets, and still shivered myself to sleep. I kinda wanted to go back and see a Des Moines winter but by the time I thought of it travel around the holidays was too expensive.

TL; DR: the winter weather is a legitimate concern but I'll find a way to make it work if I go here.

We've got FL students that really enjoy being out of the FL humidity. :D

Hey guys and gals, anyone coming to interview this Thursday? I'm flying in early Wednesday and staying until Friday afternoon, so I'm looking to find some people willing to explore the city with

I'm in Gainesville. And LOL I have no idea but that's actually the last thing I mentioned to my interviewers after we had all stood up and were saying our goodbyes. I said "When I come here, (yes, I said WHEN!) I'm going to need a life class on how to live in the cold." I feel you though, there's been some nights this week I've put the heat on, worn 4 blankets, and still shivered myself to sleep. I kinda wanted to go back and see a Des Moines winter but by the time I thought of it travel around the holidays was too expensive.

TL; DR: the winter weather is a legitimate concern but I'll find a way to make it work if I go here.

Go Gators

Just withdrew my acceptance. Very sad to do it, as I absolutely LOVED this school on interview day. If you have a chance to interview, I highly encourage it! They will win you over.