Derms in Social Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do residency programs view residents who are prominent in social media? I've noticed that there are a growing number of derm residents who have quite the following on Instagram and are already becoming reps or being sponsored by cosmetic companies. Are most program directors comfortable with this kind of publicity?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the program. There is hopefully some self-selection going on. I trained in NYC, and it wasn't too much of a problem at my program. However, lots of people that trained there stay in NYC, and that's the game a lot of NYC derms play. If you want to be successful there, it's sort of what you do.

How do residency programs view residents who are prominent in social media? I've noticed that there are a growing number of derm residents who have quite the following on Instagram and are already becoming reps or being sponsored by cosmetic companies. Are most program directors comfortable with this kind of publicity?

In general, social media is more likely to hurt you than help.

If you insist on having a large social media footprint, I would see if you can try to mask it during the application and interview season. Once you've matched, I think that's a safer time to resume. My program is notorious for looking into applicants' social media presence and I can't remember a time it's actually moved an applicant up the rank list.

Members don't see this ad :)
While in residency it's probably not a big deal at most places, assuming that you are complying with your institution's guidelines. But you can get in trouble if what you post online is viewed as negatively impacting the image or reputation of your institution (I know this is an issue based on experiences friends have had during residency).

Prior to matching, it is potentially toxic, so be cautious.

Harvard Rescinds Admission to Students Over Offensive Messages Harvard Rescinds Admission Offer to Students Over Offensive Messages

Reactions: 1 user
Prior to matching, it is potentially toxic, so be cautious.

Thanks! I've matched but was curious since Instagram has been suggesting a bunch of dermatologist instagrammers to follow.