Dermpath fellowship quality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebackwardsman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any particular dermpath fellowship programs that stand out as being stellar in terms of quality of training?

Are there any that are best applied to as last resorts?

I would prefer to not end up working in a mill.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any particular dermpath fellowship programs that stand out as being stellar in terms of quality of training?

I would think the academic centers that accept a large amount of dermpath case consults are you best bet.

Apples and oranges. There is poor correlation between where one does a
fellowship and where one ends up working.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apples and oranges. There is poor correlation between where one does a
fellowship and where one ends up working.

Agreed. For good private practice jobs, more important is your ability to network and the network of your dermpath director and faculty and how much they care about placing you in a good job. If you want a prestigious academic position, a fellowship from a prestigious academic institution rather than dermpath diagnostics may help. The "mill" jobs aren't that bad, most are pretty well compensated and don't entail weekends or call.

There is not only a poor correlation between quality training and quality jobs in pathology but across all of medicine. If you are talking geographic correlation though there probably is a massive weighting towards the area where the training program is: ie - if you train in Boston you are X times more likely to end up residing in the Northeast etc.

Not to say garbage programs should be considered above the top tier but like location should play into the decision more prominently than many gunners actually do consider it.

There is not only a poor correlation between quality training and quality jobs in pathology but across all of medicine. If you are talking geographic correlation though there probably is a massive weighting towards the area where the training program is: ie - if you train in Boston you are X times more likely to end up residing in the Northeast etc.

Not to say garbage programs should be considered above the top tier but like location should play into the decision more prominently than many gunners actually do consider it.

Last edited:
Would anyone care to share this information with me? If you want to PM instead, please do.