Dermatopathology fellowship applicant statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squamous_eddie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wanting to apply to dermpath fellowship this year. Was just wondering what are the average stats of dermpath applicants, from both the derm and path sides. I am coming from the path side. I am AP only PGY-2, am an AMG coming from an above average large academic center in a large city. Faculty evals during PGY-1 have been outstanding, especially with regards to diagnostic skills. I have one review article published right before starting residency and one abstract accepted at a national meeting from PGY-1. RISE score is top quartile.

I understand that excellent path residents apply for dermpath spots. What about from the derm side (do they tend to be above average, below average, or average derm residents - since the average derm resident has a better CV than the average path resident.

Should I do an away rotation at the outside institution I most want to end up at, since many of these spots go to internal candidates? Does being a PGY-2 hurt, since many path applicants are PGY-3 when they apply?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am wanting to apply to dermpath fellowship this year. Was just wondering what are the average stats of dermpath applicants, from both the derm and path sides. I am coming from the path side.
There was a recent article that looked at this: Characterization of dermatopathology fellowship applicants: a 5‐year single institution experience

Dermpath is competitive but has been less competitive of late. I know a couple of path residents with mediocre board scores who got dermpath fellowships in the last few years. Yes, you should do one or more away rotations if you can. It will let you evaluate programs and will let the faculty get to know you. Being a PGY-2 shouldn't hurt your chances. Most places won't expect you to be an expert but they will expect you to be enthusiastic and likeable if you want a fellowship spot. Publishing research with one of the faculty is a great way to secure a fellowship spot.

I read that article from JCP and I'm probably the least like candidate able to secure a spot according to it. Still managed to get in this past year.

Don't sell yourself short. If you can do an away rotation, go to national meetings, publish, and make a few friends in high places, I don't think you'll have much of a problem. I agree that being an AP-only 2nd year won't hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am wanting to apply to dermpath fellowship this year. Was just wondering what are the average stats of dermpath applicants, from both the derm and path sides. I am coming from the path side. I am AP only PGY-2, am an AMG coming from an above average large academic center in a large city. Faculty evals during PGY-1 have been outstanding, especially with regards to diagnostic skills. I have one review article published right before starting residency and one abstract accepted at a national meeting from PGY-1. RISE score is top quartile.

I understand that excellent path residents apply for dermpath spots. What about from the derm side (do they tend to be above average, below average, or average derm residents - since the average derm resident has a better CV than the average path resident.

Should I do an away rotation at the outside institution I most want to end up at, since many of these spots go to internal candidates? Does being a PGY-2 hurt, since many path applicants are PGY-3 when they apply?

Thanks

Dermpath is fairly unattractive to most Derm residents at present, so more spots are going to qualified path applicants. Doing research in Dermpath with a few publications should make u competitive at most programs.

Dermpath is fairly unattractive to most Derm residents at present, so more spots are going to qualified path applicants. Doing research in Dermpath with a few publications should make u competitive at most programs.
Why is that?

Why is that?

They can probably work less hours and make more money doing straight dermatology than doing dermpath these days. Plus the opportunities to own your own lab or start your own dermpath practice are far more limited than in the past, especially as big players eat more and more of the market. So instead most dermpaths are employed by large labs with little room for upward mobility. While a dermatologist can hang a shingle anywhere and demand is high. Plus the cosmetic side (even though it requires selling your soul) pays very well.

Do you think this trend will continue?