Position Wanted Dermatology Research Fellowship/ERAS Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClevelandCORP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I secured a respectable PGY-1 gen surg position and I am now interested in taking the next best step toward dermatology. If I apply through ERAS, advanced positions will just be offered starting 2019, correct?

I have not added any publications or dermatology related accolades to my application since applying to ERAS in 2016... Should I find a fellowship and decide to apply this time next year to ERAS? Is it worth giving it another try this season?

Where can I find dermatology research fellowship positions starting in 2018? Is it standard protocol tto wait until next March?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I secured a respectable PGY-1 gen surg position and I am now interested in taking the next best step toward dermatology. If I apply through ERAS, advanced positions will just be offered starting 2019, correct?

I have not added any publications or dermatology related accolades to my application since applying to ERAS in 2016... Should I find a fellowship and decide to apply this time next year to ERAS? Is it worth giving it another try this season?

Where can I find dermatology research fellowship positions starting in 2018? Is it standard protocol tto wait until next March?

Is it unlikely that if you already applied in 2016 and did not match and did not do anything different with your app, that you would match after 2 more years. Sure there are fellowships including the one posted in this same area, but most of those fellowships go to individuals who are somewhat qualified and will likely eventually match. Also probably a bit late since most start at around the same time residencies start. Also I have never heard of someone doing gen surg as a PGY-1 who then did derm. I would say maybe search elsewhere?

Is it unlikely that if you already applied in 2016 and did not match and did not do anything different with your app, that you would match after 2 more years. Sure there are fellowships including the one posted in this same area, but most of those fellowships go to individuals who are somewhat qualified and will likely eventually match. Also probably a bit late since most start at around the same time residencies start. Also I have never heard of someone doing gen surg as a PGY-1 who then did derm. I would say maybe search elsewhere?

I disagree. I know plenty of derm residents that did PGY1 Surgery years over prelim medicine years. Agreed that you will need publications going forward to show your continued interest. It is hard to do when you are a surgical resident because surgical residents are the hardest working in the hospital with the least amount of downtime (from my experience). Can you partner up with some people in dermatology to work on some low-hanging fruit?