Derm Away in November?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to an away that runs late October to around Nov 20. It's a very competitive away (and they show preferance towards rotators) and it's at my arguably top choice school. I know I won't be able to get an LOR since it's so late, but I would love to rotate there for the experience.

Will prelim, TY, and derm interviews be a huge hassle here making me miss a lot of days during the away rotation? I have psych 8/28 to like 10/20 so I could schedule interviews then

Members don't see this ad.

I did an away in November. I scheduled my prelim and TY interviews around it, and only had one during that month. Derm interviews for me were in December and January, so that was not an issue.

I'm in a similar boat, just wanted to check with letters though. Since interviews tend to be later with derm would there be any utility in getting a letter at a rotation this late?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to an away that runs late October to around Nov 20. It's a very competitive away (and they show preferance towards rotators) and it's at my arguably top choice school. I know I won't be able to get an LOR since it's so late, but I would love to rotate there for the experience.

Will prelim, TY, and derm interviews be a huge hassle here making me miss a lot of days during the away rotation? I have psych 8/28 to like 10/20 so I could schedule interviews then

Most programs are understanding about the need to take time off for interviews. I would try to minimize the # of prelim/TY interviews you take during a derm elective however.

I'm in a similar boat, just wanted to check with letters though. Since interviews tend to be later with derm would there be any utility in getting a letter at a rotation this late?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A letter that late is unlikely to help. That being said, if it is a rotation at a place where they tend to favor rotators, it can still be worthwhile particularly if it is a program you are interested in.

How do programs know where you rotated? Is it just based on where your LORs are from? If the rotation is in November, it won't be on my ERAS transcript, will I not get the geographical advantage of the rotation?

They won't know about an away that late in the game. Do it for the experience and for potential connections in that department.

Reactions: 1 user