Dental Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goku786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am kind of in between podiatry and dentistry so I am applying to both. I have shadowed a podiatrist but also 70 hours of three different dentists. Would it do me harm to put down the dental shadowing on podiatry application? I can just leave it off but would it show that I'm more committed to health care? Thanks
Ive done the same and plan on just including it in my personal statement. I don't plan on writing it in the experiences

I do not understand the thought process behind leaving off other shadowing opportunities and being afraid they will think you are not committed.

Tell them you shadowed both and found podiatry more engaging/interesting/hands-on/whatever reason.

Why leave it off? Are you more likely to trust someone who says "I shadowed XYZ and found Z to be my interest" or someone who does it your way?

What is so scary about being honest with what you like?

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal opinion is because the experience section is for podiatric experiences. Shadowing a dentist isnt an experience in the podiatric field.. its more of a personal statement area of how you were led to podiatry and why you chose it. Im sure theres no right or wrong, that was just my opinion when filling it out.

Reactions: 1 user
I put my shadowing in many various specialties/healthcare fields in my application. It shows you have done your research and know what you are getting in to.

Reactions: 1 user
Then again, I did put that I work as a Dental Assistant.. so maybe Im wrong in not also putting shadowing haha

List all healthcare-related experiences in the application. In the personal statement, if you want to do podiatry, you can talk about how the others did not interest you as much as Podiatry. Having more than 1 experience shows commitment to medicine and patient care overall.