Dental School Debt Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Spliced

Hello everyone. (This post will be posted in the dental and pre-dental sections). I was hoping some students/ dentists who have been in a similar situation as myself could give me some advice on how to approach/ handle my situation.
I want to start off by giving a little bit of background about myself. I am a Canadian student who wants to study dentistry in the United States and remain there afterwards. I carry a 3.78 gpa and a 21AA balanced aDAT score. Once I finish dental school I will be around 450k+ dollars in debt. Obviously this is a horrible situation to be in and I want to plan ahead to ensure I come out of this in the best way possible. My questions are:
1) Do dental schools (private - schools) give out grants/ scholarships to international/Canadian students such as myself and how would I go about finding out?
2) What sort of options do I have for loan forgiveness/reduction afterwards.
3) Any other tips or advice you can give me.
Thank you for your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I am a Canadian student (3rd year) as well. The problem with studying outside is you didn't pay taxes there so 99%of the time they wouldn't give you any grant and or scholarships. The loan forgiveness/reductions etc doesn't work very much for you if you take the loan from a US bank. If you want to do the studying in the states your best option is to go to a Canadian bank as for a professional line of credit after getting into your school of choice and get OSAP (I am assuming you live in Ontario like I do). The best bank for this is RBC once you do so they will allow you to get approx. 275k for the prime rate knowing that you have someone as your cosigner (cosigner because you are studying outside of Canada). After you finish your school, you have two years then you will start paying. what most people do is pay their OSAP after they finish school (because it accumulates interest right after finishing). Once you paid your OSAP you ask for refinancing or forgiveness/reduction. Once you get the new statement you find yourself a good job in the states or Canada and start paying.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I am a Canadian student (3rd year) as well. The problem with studying outside is you didn't pay taxes there so 99%of the time they wouldn't give you any grant and or scholarships. The loan forgiveness/reductions etc doesn't work very much for you if you take the loan from a US bank. If you want to do the studying in the states your best option is to go to a Canadian bank as for a professional line of credit after getting into your school of choice and get OSAP (I am assuming you live in Ontario like I do). The best bank for this is RBC once you do so they will allow you to get approx. 275k for the prime rate knowing that you have someone as your cosigner (cosigner because you are studying outside of Canada). After you finish your school, you have two years then you will start paying. what most people do is pay their OSAP after they finish school (because it accumulates interest right after finishing). Once you paid your OSAP you ask for refinancing or forgiveness/reduction. Once you get the new statement you find yourself a good job in the states or Canada and start paying.
Thank you very much this was very helpful! I pmed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
no problamo tho didnt get any pms yet xD

why dont you got to a canadian school?

for ontario im not competitive. Canadian schools don't do a holistic approach to the extent a US school does. They mostly focus on stats.
I know. It wasn't a slight to you. I know exactly how brutal the system is.