Dental school and salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurepumpkinfarmer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you get higher first year salary offer if you went to prestigious dental schools (such as Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, UPenn etc)? Or do you still receive the same amount of salary offer as other dentists who went to less prestigious schools? What determines the first year salary?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes Harvard dentists make quadruple what a lowly state dentist does.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prestigious dental schools teach Osteopathic Dentistry, which has better outcomes and salary.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you get higher first year salary offer if you went to prestigious dental schools (such as Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, UPenn etc)? Or do you still receive the same amount of salary offer as other dentists who went to less prestigious schools? What determines the first year salary?

Go tell insurance companies that your dental degree allows you to ask for more money from them for a filling because you went to Harvard.

Reactions: 11 users
Gonna offer the token non-sarcastic answer and tell you no, it doesn't. And even if it did so marginally, it would not compensate for the financial hit you take by opting for a "prestigious" (AKA expensive) school.

Reactions: 2 users
'm thinking in the first years when you work for a dentist or a group you could land a higher salary cause you went ot one tf these prestigious schools. not sure though i really have no idea

It's all about how good you get at dentistry, how much knowledge of the field and business you have, and overall getting the most out of dental school as you can. Most likely, if you do not go above and beyond to educate yourself about dental economics and the future of the field, you will end up in a cooperate setting for life these days.

Sure, if you go to one of the 5 or so prestigious schools you may have some SLIGHT advantages, and may be able to specialize easier if you would like, but it's not a huge advantage.
Now, going to the bottom-barrel schools (about 5-10 of these), you would probably have a tougher time earning a lot. I think you would struggle to escape the cooperate grips going to one of these.
It's best to just try to go to an average school (all the rest) and make the most of your time, use your resources, and also heavily self-educate yourself in your free time 3rd and 4th year so you have some kind of an advantage over others' decision-making.
The goal should be to go to an average school that is going to be the least expensive for you. Debt can kill.

Your (take home) salary will be lower because your loans will be higher.

Reactions: 1 users
It's all about how good you get at dentistry, how much knowledge of the field and business you have, and overall getting the most out of dental school as you can. Most likely, if you do not go above and beyond to educate yourself about dental economics and the future of the field, you will end up in a cooperate setting for life these days.

Sure, if you go to one of the 5 or so prestigious schools you may have some SLIGHT advantages, and may be able to specialize easier if you would like, but it's not a huge advantage.
Now, going to the bottom-barrel schools (about 5-10 of these), you would probably have a tougher time earning a lot. I think you would struggle to escape the cooperate grips going to one of these.
What are these "bottom-barrel" schools? And what don't they offer that other schools do?

Reactions: 1 user
schools that are infamous for subpar clincal experience, or maybe really old facilities, profs that aren't really interested...it's stuff like that which make a bad name for a school...and there's a few out there that have a bad stigma

Dude this is a business. How much you make is based on your customer service, how many hours you work, how efficient you are, and what services you provide. Lol if you think Harvard students have decent clinical experience coming out of dental school. Luckily, hand skills sort of level out in a few years of practice. Shoot, if I were an employer I'd most likely give a Harvard grad a lower starting salary and a strong clinical state school grad a higher salary because more likely than not the Harvard grad is slower and therefore has lower production. If you ask any dentist the choice of getting treatment from a recent grad who went to a clinical state school vs Harvard, I'd bet they'd all pick the state school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Make no mistake about it. When you choose dentistry, you forego bragging rights/prestige. Prestigious dental school is an oxymoron.

A nurse who went to the best nursing school is still a nurse.

We literally take power tools to cut things and replace it with cements and resins. There's nothing glorifying about this worth bragging about. It's the salary and work hours that we brag about.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just answering the question about what is considered a subpar question.
as for salary i have no idea already said that

What are these "bottom-barrel" schools? And what don't they offer that other schools do?

I would say schools like meharry and Howard have students with less proven academic performances. This isn't to say they can't be great dentists but when boards used to be graded, these two would always have the lowest averages.
The students there do serve a need though, working in areas where they come from that lack dentists.

I would say schools like meharry and Howard have students with less proven academic performances. This isn't to say they can't be great dentists but when boards used to be graded, these two would always have the lowest averages.
The students there do serve a need though, working in areas where they come from that lack dentists.

Some of those schools don't even have good clinical experience.

Dude this is a business. How much you make is based on your customer service, how many hours you work, how efficient you are, and what services you provide. Lol if you think Harvard students have decent clinical experience coming out of dental school. Luckily, hand skills sort of level out in a fews year of practice. Shoot, if I were an employer I'd most likely give a Harvard grad a lower starting salary and a strong clinical state school grad a higher salary because more likely than not the Harvard grad is slower and therefore has lower production. If you ask any dentist the choice of getting treatment from a recent grad who went to a clinical state school vs Harvard, I'd bet they'd all pick the state school.

Well one thing Harvard columbia Penn gives is academic prowess. They select students that are academically stronger than let's say meharry or Howard. The Gap gets much when you start bringing up state schools that are also academically strong.
And for specialties like omfs for example,really want students that are academically strong. Passing the usmle is no joke and I know for sure the majority of meharry/Howard students stand little to no chance save for those students at the top of their class.

No. Only advantage attached to salary is if you specialize.

I would say location is the biggest factor but in all reality you'll make the highest salary when you start your own practice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah, they mean that while your gross salary will be the same, the amount you actually get to go out and spend will be less, since your loan payment will be higher

Well, I think we know what (s)he means when (s)he says "take home."

I like how you have your entire schools logo on your siggy lol.