DENTAL HYGIENST THEN VET SCHOOL?

Roxana24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here. I need help. I don't know what career I should do; dentist or veterinarian. I'm in college and planning on becoming a dental hygienist which will help me get into dental school. I just am unsure if I should go to dental school or to veterinarian school. Becoming a dentist interests me then again I love animals, and want to help them out. Also is it possible for me to get a degree into dental hygienist and then apply to veterinarian school? or will I have to take classes all over again. I've checked and some pre-requisites for vet school are the same as the classes I'm taking now. Or once I get my dental hygiene degree I can't use those credits again?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I'm new here. I need help. I don't know what career I should do; dentist or veterinarian. I'm in college and planning on becoming a dental hygienist which will help me get into dental school. I just am unsure if I should go to dental school or to veterinarian school. Becoming a dentist interests me then again I love animals, and want to help them out. Also is it possible for me to get a degree into dental hygienist and then apply to veterinarian school? or will I have to take classes all over again. I've checked and some pre-requisites for vet school are the same as the classes I'm taking now. Or once I get my dental hygiene degree I can't use those credits again?
how do u become a dental hygenist ?

Those credits don't disappear. However, becoming either a dentist (not hygienist) or a veterinarian require you to take different entrance exams. Those are things you should prepare thoroughly for. You need to make sure you fulfill ALL prerequisites for whichever you choose to pursue, not just "some."

BTW, you're in the "High School SDN" just so you're aware. I never would've saw this post had I not seen the title in the forum preview. Also, people in here may not be able to give you as accurate of answers as people in the dental forum may be able to provide.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My question is why those 2? Why would you do a dental hygiene program and then want to go to vet school?

Have you shadowed in both the dental and vet med fields? That's going to give you a much better idea of which direction you should go. Vet school admission is a lot more complicated than taking some prereqs and loving animals, and I imagine that dental school is similar - you need to have experience and an understanding of the field to be a competitive applicant.

Start by spending some time shadowing in both fields and figure out what you're really passionate about.

Reactions: 1 user
Those credits don't disappear. However, becoming either a dentist (not hygienist) or a veterinarian require you to take different entrance exams. Those are things you should prepare thoroughly for. You need to make sure you fulfill ALL prerequisites for whichever you choose to pursue, not just "some."

BTW, you're in the "High School SDN" just so you're aware. I never would've saw this post had I not seen the title in the forum preview. Also, people in here may not be able to give you as accurate of answers as people in the dental forum may be able to provide.

Thank you for replying, I am not sure if I'm replying correctly or if this would get to you (and I don't know how to change it from "High School SDN" but I have chosen to take the dental path, it's true that being veterinarian is not only about loving animals, you also need dedication. I wanted to something else different then my families choice. After having a talk with my dentist, she gave me some advice and said I should do what I love best. I researched it and hopefully soon get some experience in the dental field.

Best regards

Thank you for replying, I am not sure if I'm replying correctly or if this would get to you (and I don't know how to change it from "High School SDN" but I have chosen to take the dental path, it's true that being veterinarian is not only about loving animals, you also need dedication. I wanted to something else different then my families choice. After having a talk with my dentist, she gave me some advice and said I should do what I love best. I researched it and hopefully soon get some experience in the dental field.

Best regards

FWIW, most people on SDN agree that becoming a hygienist and then applying to dental school is not the best path to take if your primary goal is to become a dentist. Browse the forums it's been discussed a good amount

The underlying science classes will be *mostly* the same regardless of dental, medical, or vet. But like someone above posted... there's likely a different admission test. One thing you have to consider though is that you'll likely waste 2 years on hygiene then have to spend another 4 years in vet school. It may be better to go straight into vet school from undergrad.