Dental Hygiene/dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RDHwife said:
...hygienists can be a huge profit for the practice, as I have explained several times in this thread....
Yes, I've heard this repeated again and again from hygienists demanding raises, despite the fact that they're already ridiculously overpaid. What they don't seem to understand is that it's ultimately the dentist who brings in those patients. And offices charge what they charge for a prophy because the dentist comes in afterwards and does a check-up. Hygienists in private practice couldn't charge what they charge without the dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, there is an entirely different code for an exam. You bill out insurance for the prophy and you also bill an exam. For example: a prophy is $77 and an exam is $40. You charge for both. So its not priced that way due to the doctor coming in and doing an exam.

Supertrooper: Assuming that you're still ins dental school, how many hygienists have ever asked YOU for a raise. You act like you already own a practice. And if you do, you've got the wrong kind of staff working for you. Perhaps its because you belittle your staff, just like you do on this message board.

RDHwife said:
Actually, there is an entirely different code for an exam. You bill out insurance for the prophy and you also bill an exam. For example: a prophy is $77 and an exam is $40. You charge for both. So its not priced that way due to the doctor coming in and doing an exam.
You've missed my point. Try charging $77 dollars as a hygienist out on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
RDHwife said:

Supertrooper: Assuming that you're still ins dental school, how many hygienists have ever asked YOU for a raise. You act like you already own a practice. And if you do, you've got the wrong kind of staff working for you. Perhaps its because you belittle your staff, just like you do on this message board.

Pablo, who takes my order at McDonald's, also works his a$$ of and brings in lots of money for the corporation and yet he makes minimum wage. I'm not saying this is right, however just because somebody produces alot of money for the company/practice/corporation doesn't mean that they automatically get paid what they're worth. Just something to keep in mind.

ps - for the record I have nothing against hyienists or the profession

Obviously a hygienist can't make $77 on their own because they can't even work without a doctor's supervision (except in Colorado.) That is not the point.

I'm not quite understanding why it makes you so mad that hygienists make what they do and that you feel like you need to rip on them. When you have your own practice you can either choose to have a hygienist or you can choose to not have one. If you don't think that they are worth it, don't have one.

RDHwife said:
Obviously a hygienist can't make $77 on their own because they can't even work without a doctor's supervision (except in Colorado.) That is not the point.

I'm not quite understanding why it makes you so mad that hygienists make what they do and that you feel like you need to rip on them. When you have your own practice you can either choose to have a hygienist or you can choose to not have one. If you don't think that they are worth it, don't have one.
If you don't think they're worth it, *please* don't hire any. It just leaves a better pool for the rest of us to choose from. ;)

actually if they live in northern cal, hygienist do make that much here! but they usually don't work 5 days a week!

I think hygenists are the best thing you can do for your practice!! Although I couldn't do it (want to be the boss:) /need diversity) I will def have several. I've been a DA for 2 years and I'm in the process of applying to Dschool, the hygenists at the office I work at is one the best people I have ever met and is amazing at what she does, she brings in a lot of patients to the office and she is a very smart woman. RDHwife, good for you, hopefully one day I will be lucky enough to have someone like you work in my office :D

dental hygiene is the best invention in the history of dentistry.
u can not live without them. the suptroop gotta problem.

1910—The first formal training program for dental nurses is established at the Ohio College of Dental Surgery by Cyrus M. Wright. The program is discontinued in 1914 mainly due to opposition by Ohio dentists.

1913—Alfred C. Fones opens the Fones Clinic For Dental Hygienists in Bridgeport, Connecticut, the world’s first oral hygiene school. Most of the twenty—seven women graduates of the first class are employed by the Bridgeport Board of Education to clean the teeth of school children. The greatly reduced incidence of caries among these children gives impetus to the dental hygienist movement. Dr. Fones, first to use the term “dental hygienist,” becomes known as the Father of Dental Hygiene.

whats with ppl bringing back threads that have long since been dead?

whats with ppl bringing back threads that have long since been dead?

because I recently discovered SDN and when I procrastinate I like to read all of the threads :laugh:

Hello
I really glad to see people happy as D Hygienist, and with enough and good income.

All I read here impressed me, because if you live in Toronto it is a different story. If you finish a DH School, you do not have chances to founded job!!!! All the Ontarian are orientated to Alberta!!! LoL
Yes!!! Every year more than 500 RDH are coming. How many Dentists need DH... let's say In Ontario? Dentists which is coming from different countries, after take a license, they look for jobs too. In order to afford to open a Dental office, they have to pay back their loan for 2 Years Qualifying Program in the University. (Aprox. $100,000)
That why we do not have too much dentist to afford to higher RDH, part of them doing dental hygiene job and without to take complicate job, they enjoy to work dental hygiene job!!!!
I was work more than 5 years as DA in the office where dentist and associates was doing DH jobs, and very easy only from this hygiene they took $200,000/year.
I am working RDH right now and I can say I survive…. Because I cannot take job, only temporary, in different places, I need to travel, to work, really as in Factory, 30 min client, doing sterilization and all DA job between, and salary start from $25.
Too much RD Hygienists come, less salary start!!!! LOL
Really I am disparate and looking for job. I took 2006 USA D H Board Exam, but I do not know where to go…because I have to return monies back which I borrow for Toronto DH school, and as you know to pay rent…. all thinks you need in order to survived …. LoL

All regards
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If anybody is having Dental Hygiene Decks, plz PM me

Thanks.

I guarantee you that the applicant pool for hygiene school doesn't even come close to being as competitive as the applicant pool for dental school. Guaranteed.

The reason the waiting lists are so long for hygiene school is because you have young girls coming straight out of high school applying to hygiene programs by the droves. You also have college freshmen girls applying in mass numbers. These girls aren't exactly your stellar star students because if they were they wouldn't even be looking at hygiene school and instead would already have their sights set on dental or medical school.

Many hygiene school programs are conducted at community colleges. Making A's on the community college level isn't that difficult. It's not like the prerequisites for hygiene school are that demanding, science courses are minimal compared to other higher programs.

Wow, you act as if a dental hygienist works at burger king or something. It is a very nice career, it takes someone with dedication to even get into the program, yes medical school is more challenging yadda yadda. However, most programs get 200 applicants and accept the top 14-16. Most programs also do not have a waiting list, you have to reapply each year. Its degrading to cut someone down for their profession, I cant imagine what one of you would say about some one being a teacher or a real estate agent for Christ sakes.

One more thing. Most dental hygienists complete their schooling, work for a few years and go on to dental school, like me. So no, I will be chief, Thanks to my awesome training that I got. A dentist wouldn't make crap with out a hygienist to rake the dough in for them, face it.

Peace,

Christina

I am a dental hygine student. Does anyone know how to find a nerb patient? I have a nerb exame coming soon. I really need one. Please give me some advice. I will be appreciated!!!

I am a dental hygine student. Does anyone know how to find a nerb patient? I have a nerb exame coming soon. I really need one. Please give me some advice. I will be appreciated!!!
Restaurant workers!

When I was in hygiene school I worked 4 nights a week in a restaurant and I brought in my co-workers for screenings. Many of them qualified for boards. Here's why:

-no insurance
-most haven't been to the dentist in 5+ years
-many under 30 (not much bone loss)
-generally healthy
-working hours are in the evening and don't conflict w/ boards
-happy to show up for $100 (or whatever students compensate these days)

Good luck!

Restaurant workers!

When I was in hygiene school I worked 4 nights a week in a restaurant and I brought in my co-workers for screenings. Many of them qualified for boards. Here's why:

-no insurance
-most haven't been to the dentist in 5+ years
-many under 30 (not much bone loss)
-generally healthy
-working hours are in the evening and don't conflict w/ boards
-happy to show up for $100 (or whatever students compensate these days)

Good luck!

i like it. buen idea! :thumbup:

Hi,
I graduated from college last sept. with a BA in sociology. Now im taking pre-requisites because i'm seriously thinking about applying to dental hygiene programs.
My questions are:
1. Is the job opportunity good in LA? or in CA in general?
2. If i do go into DH, i will prob. start working in the year of 2014, is the job opporunity gonna be better by then?
3. Since i have a BA degree, although not in science, do i get paid more?
4. Based on my research, a lot of DH work part time, how much can you make annually working part time and living at home?

Someone please help me and give me some constructive suggestions!
Thanks!

Hi,
I graduated from college last sept. with a BA in sociology. Now im taking pre-requisites because i'm seriously thinking about applying to dental hygiene programs.
My questions are:
1. Is the job opportunity good in LA? or in CA in general?
2. If i do go into DH, i will prob. start working in the year of 2014, is the job opporunity gonna be better by then?
3. Since i have a BA degree, although not in science, do i get paid more?
4. Based on my research, a lot of DH work part time, how much can you make annually working part time and living at home?

Someone please help me and give me some constructive suggestions!
Thanks!

i know you won't make more with a BA. i'm not sure what the market is like and i don't know how to answer how much you'll make not working full time. full time you can make about 50-90k as a hygienist.

The BA may help you get into school (especially if you don't have assisting experience) but you won't necessarily get paid more as a hygienist. Most hygienists get paid an hourly rate which varies by region. In Seattle, the average is $45 an hour but in Portland,OR I think the hourly rate is closer to $35. Oregon hygienists aren't licensed in restorative. I would call a local temp agency to find out the average rates in your area.

The original question is very interesting and applies to me as well. I graduated with a BS in Dental Hygiene a few years back and have been a practicing RDH for 3 years now. Now that I see how much I love and enjoy the profession of dentistry as a whole, I truly would love to do more now. I would hope that hygiene school can help, as well as actual RDH experience, with applying to dental school. I've had all the prereq. courses, so I'm going to apply in June 2010. Good luck to those who are in the same boat! :)

I am in a similar situation. I have a BS in a non-related field. My prereqs that I took 10 years ago for my BS are a mix of A's, B's and C's with an average GPA of 3.3.

I still need to take two BIOs and one CHEM and I am determined to do well in them. I have a year to do this and get everything else together to apply to the program. I am applying to a community college for the program and was wondering if it was just as hard to get into as a regular Dental School.

When you send in your application, do you include some sort of letter saying why you want to be in the program? I can't afford to be denied admission...do you think if I do well on my remaining prereqs and do many hours of shadowing that will give me a better chance of being accepted. Or the simple fact that I already have a BS? Would that help any?

I'm so nervous...

Getting into dental hygiene school is competitive, and the training would be redundant. If you already know you want to be a dentist, don't get hygiene training. However, if being a dentist is not for you, hygiene is a great career as well. You are right, you could do both, but if you already know you want to be a dentist for sure, then a hygiene license is not needed.

I definitely agree. You need to decide which one you want to pursue as your long term career goal. But if you're still undecided, you can go with dental hygienist since it only requires 2-4years while dentistry takes more years to study. It would be a waste of your time and money if you started taking up dentistry and at midst of it, you decided to stop.

Always ask the question - am I the boss of my own or somebody else?

700 a day 5 days a week (220 days a year) =150k

hahahaha

where do you work? in dreams.

j/k

x

How long do you spend a std cleaning? 5 minutes?

Seriously,
congrats if you can make that kinda money with such a degree

Considering hygenist usually make 30 dollars an hour, most make b/t 40-70k.

and on top of that most only work 2-4 days a week.

At my office my hygienists are paid 35% production + 5% treatment plan incentives. The productive ones that can crank through peds on insurance plans can easily take home 700+ / day

I have been in conversation with directors of Dental Hygiene programs. They tell me many of their graduates apply to dental school and some get in. From experience, dental students in clinic who have been dental hygienists do very well.

In my current state the market for dental hygienists is saturated. No one makes 80K and typically they make half that much. It would be nice to have that license, should a student get washed out of dental school. It happens more often than you would like to believe.

By the way, anyone know a good attorney that sues dental schools?

I have been in conversation with directors of Dental Hygiene programs. They tell me many of their graduates apply to dental school and some get in. From experience, dental students in clinic who have been dental hygienists do very well.

In my current state the market for dental hygienists is saturated. No one makes 80K and typically they make half that much. It would be nice to have that license, should a student get washed out of dental school. It happens more often than you would like to believe.

By the way, anyone know a good attorney that sues dental schools?

:lame:

I personally know from experience that it can really work to your advantage to get your BS in hygiene and still go to dental school. I transferred into the hygiene program at my university during my junior year and still graduated in 4 years. I took a year in between undergrad and dental school to work, apply, and finish pre-reqs (which you can easily get done during undergrad if you go to summer school). During hygiene school, I worked closely with the the dental students and faculty and caught a glimpse of what it would be like to be in dental school. I learned about dentistry in general, perio specifically, surviving clinic, and how to establish a great relationship with my patients. Believe me, getting my degree in something that was relevant to my future was way more exciting then sitting through some anthropology or communications course just to fulfill some requirement. Advantages of taking this route are being very comfortable in clinical situations where most of my classmates are the complete opposite, already being familiar with dental terminolgy and a lot of the course work, being utilized as extra faculty during certain exercises, and the money is great! I can work a few days during a break or on the weekend and make thousands of dollars that I don't have to borrow from uncle sam. So many of my classmates tell me that if they only knew they could have chosen this route and still graduate in 4 yrs, they would have. For myself, there are no disadvantages. I can only speak from own experience but I hope this helps!
Hello what kind of BS? Any idea on how the dental schools look at a B of Tech in HD or a BPS in DH (professional studies)? or even a BA (bachelor of arts?

I have my AAS in DH, but I cant decide which Bachelor degree to get that would help me the most in getting into Dental school.

Any help?!!!

Anyone have any answers? My professors dont :(
--I have my AAS in DH, but I cant decide which Bachelor degree to get that would help me the most in getting into Dental school.

Any idea on how the dental schools look at a Bachelor of Tech in HD or a BPS in DH (professional studies)? or even a BA (bachelor of arts)?

Any help?!!! Please!!!

The type of four year degree doesn't matter as long as you fulfill the prereqs for dental school (check out their web sites). GL

Anyone have any answers? My professors dont :(
--I have my AAS in DH, but I cant decide which Bachelor degree to get that would help me the most in getting into Dental school.

Any idea on how the dental schools look at a Bachelor of Tech in HD or a BPS in DH (professional studies)? or even a BA (bachelor of arts)?

Any help?!!! Please!!!

The acceptance rates per degree are all in the same ballpark (~40% or so). This helps to show that it does not matter what degree you get, so long as you learn the proper material and take the required pre-reqs. I majored in business finance, and am near finishing my first year in dental school. Hope this helps :)

Yes I do. You have to find the good office, one that is fast paced.

I am dentist in india and i want to do dental hygienist course in usa...
Which exams i need to give??
Any other options except dds???

mind if i cut in .??!!
now im really stuck in the loop..i have done my BDS from India and then have planned of writing the NBDE exams(USA)was preparing for the exam, the mistake what i did was i applied for a MBA in health care management and got accepted for the student visa and hencforth went for the visa interview, unfortunately dint get thorugh...and i take time of 4 months and prepare for the Exam in the USA and have applied for the Visitor Visa ...and my luck was not with me this time either.the interviewer questioned me about my past rejection where i applied to a non clinical field.she was not satisfied by the diversities of my reasons to go to USA..the interviewer was unhappyand rejected me again :(...​

so now i was thinking of taking some diploma courses in CANADA such as D.Assistant or D.Hygienist !!!! and then give my exams from there and try continuing my dream !!!

So my biggest doubts/Questions are ....
1.Is my plan heading the right direction, if not can someone throw some light ???
2.Which would be better option for me DA/DH???
3.Once if i complete my course in canada, can i head to pursue my dds by writing those exams, meaning will it cause any problem for my chances of being accepted in an American Dental School ???

It'd be really GREATFUL if anyone can help me with my bad time !!! Thanks a ton in advance :), hoping to hear soon !!!!

It's tunnel vision at its finest but obtaining a BS hygiene degree at a dental school program can be a great way to get into dentistry. Most have an assistant component so you are introduced to basic lab skills, dental clinic and the faculty ( a few of whom may be on the admissions committee). You get a basic introduction/understanding of dental anatomy, radiography, perio, pharm and path. Not to mention you have more than demonstrated you have interest in the field and a degree that may allow you to work part-time while you are in school. It's just a matter of doing well on the required prerequisites and boards.

As for hygiene pay 30% of hygiene production and radiographs is a fair representation. In a busy practice that offers perio (scaling & root planing), pit & fissure sealants, and bleaching $1000 - 1500 a day is possible. Although this would have to be an exceptional practice to do this every day.

Bring it on.. Find out what the requirements are to obtain a US license and advertise in Thai classifieds. :) Sponsor them for the US license application and exam, but make them sign a contract for minimun 1 year at a lower wage (still more $$ than they'd probably make in Thailand). :idea:
This is exactly why awesome hygienists have probably left your practice and patients followed. That's if you one continued to work for you long enough. You're obviously an awesome boss. I bet business is booming.

Yes, I've heard this repeated again and again from hygienists demanding raises, despite the fact that they're already ridiculously overpaid. What they don't seem to understand is that it's ultimately the dentist who brings in those patients. And offices charge what they charge for a prophy because the dentist comes in afterwards and does a check-up. Hygienists in private practice couldn't charge what they charge without the dentist.
That's just what you think. Patients tell my boss daily, if she ever leaves I'm going where she goes. Trust me Mr. DDS. It happens.