delaying start date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanzacat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I matched into an advanced dermatology position set to begin July 2018. I'm currently doing my prelim medicine year. Is it possible to delay the start date of your advanced position (by two years) so that you can complete your PGY2 and PGY3 year in internal medicine? Or would your advanced program be committing a match violation if they were to give you a position 2 years down the road from your original start date?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I matched into an advanced dermatology position set to begin July 2018. I'm currently doing my prelim medicine year. Is it possible to delay the start date of your advanced position (by two years) so that you can complete your PGY2 and PGY3 year in internal medicine? Or would your advanced program be committing a match violation if they were to give you a position 2 years down the road from your original start date?

I would check with your derm program. From what I've seen, you would have to re-enter the match unless your program reserved a position for you for 2 years from now.