Deciding on Urology in the middle of M3 year...chances, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yakattack145

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I started M3 year being very open about various specialties. However, after a few rotations, I'm starting to seriously consider Urology. I'd like to know my realistic chances, and since I'm relatively late to the game, what I can do to boost my chances.

School: top 20 US medical school
Step 1: 235
Grades: Peds P, OB/GYN P, Psych HP, Neuro HP
Research: MD/PhD - PhD in cellular/molecular biology (no direct relation to Urology)
-6 papers: mix of basic science, reviews
-Plenty of abstracts, poster presentations

I'm thinking about starting a clinical research project with a Urology professor at my home institution. Also, I know I haven't done IM or Surgery yet, but I imagine they will most likely be HPs.

Finally, I would really love to stay in academia and go to an academic Urology program. Specifically, I was wondering what are my chances at the following residency programs:
-Cleveland Clinic: this is likely way out reach
-Case Western: I like the 1 year of research built into their program
-Ohio State

Any honest feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I started M3 year being very open about various specialties. However, after a few rotations, I'm starting to seriously consider Urology. I'd like to know my realistic chances, and since I'm relatively late to the game, what I can do to boost my chances.

School: top 20 US medical school
Step 1: 235
Grades: Peds P, OB/GYN P, Psych HP, Neuro HP
Research: MD/PhD - PhD in cellular/molecular biology (no direct relation to Urology)
-6 papers: mix of basic science, reviews
-Plenty of abstracts, poster presentations

I'm thinking about starting a clinical research project with a Urology professor at my home institution. Also, I know I haven't done IM or Surgery yet, but I imagine they will most likely be HPs.

Finally, I would really love to stay in academia and go to an academic Urology program. Specifically, I was wondering what are my chances at the following residency programs:
-Cleveland Clinic: this is likely way out reach
-Case Western: I like the 1 year of research built into their program
-Ohio State

Any honest feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!
You've got Ps in peds and ob/gyn what makes you say the bolded? Research, meeting the faculty, and trying to swing a rotation in uro are going to be the best things you can do at this point.