Deciding between School Psych & Clinical Psych MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milktree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will soon be completing my bachelor's degree in psychology and need some advice on which masters program I should go into.

I know there are significant differences in both clinical and school psychology. I'm only interested in working with children. Preferably in an primary/secondary school OR hospital setting.

The reason I'm hesitant to go the school psychologist route is because I think it would significantly limit the jobs available for me and the average salary is much lower compared to having a clinical MA. Salary is not everything, I know, but I want to be prepared and smart when investing in that much more schooling. Both fields interest me greatly.

Clinical psychology seems to open up a broader range of jobs available. I would go this route if I knew that landing a job in an elementary school or pediatric hospital wouldn't be next to impossible after graduation? How common and competitive is the need for a clinical psychologist in either these settings? Those are the main places I can see myself working in.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You asked "How common is the need for a clinical psychologist in either of these settings" but are asking about a masters level degree. If you want to be a clinical or school psychologist, you'll have to get a PhD or PsyD- a master's level degree does not allow you to get licensed as a psychologist or call yourself a psychologist.

With a masters you'll be looking at getting licensed at an LPC level (can someone verify whether you can get licensed w/ a Master's in school psych? I'm not so familiar with that area). In the hospital settings I worked in, there were some masters level folks in the child outpatient clinics, but on inpatient it was all PhD or PsyD level for psychology. If you're set on working in a hospital with a master's level degree, MSW might be a good path- there were many many social workers at the pediatric hospital where I did internship. Most of the master's level clinical psych people I know work in community mental health or similar centers as LPCs. If you have a school psych master's degree I think you're much more likely to be working in a school system than a hospital setting, but I don't know in what type of a position. Maybe there are some school psych folks on here who could answer that question, as I am not sure how many master's level positions school systems tend to hire that are school psych rather than social work, and in what role/job title. That info would probably help you make your decision. Personally if I were going to stop at the master's level I would do social work because that seems to be an extremely versatile degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I will soon be completing my bachelor's degree in psychology and need some advice on which masters program I should go into.

I know there are significant differences in both clinical and school psychology. I'm only interested in working with children. Preferably in an primary/secondary school OR hospital setting.

The reason I'm hesitant to go the school psychologist route is because I think it would significantly limit the jobs available for me and the average salary is much lower compared to having a clinical MA. Salary is not everything, I know, but I want to be prepared and smart when investing in that much more schooling. Both fields interest me greatly.

Clinical psychology seems to open up a broader range of jobs available. I would go this route if I knew that landing a job in an elementary school or pediatric hospital wouldn't be next to impossible after graduation? How common and competitive is the need for a clinical psychologist in either these settings? Those are the main places I can see myself working in.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, thank you.

After working as a Probation Officer with adolescents for many years, I considered a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology but was encouraged by a UCLA Psychology Professor to go for the MSW in Clinical Social Work. I took his advice and was lucky enough to get a Post Graduate Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy from Harvard University School of Medicine. This training has permitted me to teach in two Ph.D. Programs in Psychology, UCLA School of Medicine and two MSW programs.
Little can be done with MA Programs in Psychology.

Reactions: 1 users
I live in PA and my understanding of the difference here between school psychologists (Ph.D or Psy.D level) versus school-based therapists (sometimes heavily-experienced Bachelor's but usually Master's level) is the former conducts psychometric assessments and testing along with some therapy, and the master's-level therapists are more heavily involved in creating treatment plans and following through with therapeutic interventions. Depending on what type of school-based program we're talking about there are often distinctions between Master's and Bachelor's level as well. If I were you I might take a year or two off of school and take an internship or PT job to give you experience and meet professionals in the field. There are a lot of direct care jobs with kids for Bachelor's-level workers both in hospital psych units and schools. Here in PA I worked in wraparound services as a TSS after getting my Bachelor's.