Deceptive "ease" of getting accepted into a DPM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nippyfan

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, aside an apart from this year where it seems that application numbers are down and regular admission standards may slightly differ, I would love to understand the notion that podiatry school is a cake walk in terms of acceptance.

Of course, relative to an MD school, admission is a bit easier, but I know of quite a few people, personally, who were quite surprised to find that they had been rejected from DPM programs...the same programs they thought would have been a good "backup."

People make it seem like as long as you at least attempted the MCAT and have above a 2.5GPA, you're "golden," but I don't think its that simple for a lot of people.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, i think its just a toss up sometimes. I got interviews and acceptances with scholarships at all the schools I applied to and interviewed at with the sole exception of Barry. I was straight up rejected from there with no interview invite. Unless you are talking about getting rejected from all of the podiatry schools.

With that being said, the average GPA of matriculating students (around 3.3) is still slightly above average for undergraduate students (which is around a 3.1). So its not like matriculating students aren't working hard to get good GPA's. But I do think that for a lot of people, podiatry is a back up, meaning they were working hard already to try to get into an MD or DO school so they should have a semblance of the grades needed to get in. Not having made the cut for those, its relatively easy to get into podiatry school. You do still need to have a decent GPA and do need to perform slightly on the MCAT, but lets be real, a 490+ gets you interviews and a 490 on the MCAT is very low and "easy" score to get. More than 4/5 of people simply attempting the MCAT will score better.

Not saying this to diminish anyone's accomplishments, as it still is an accomplishment and you do still have to work hard to get into podiatry school, but there is a reason it is considered a back up. Looking at the stats from the 2015-16 year, there was 54% of applicants that matriculated and that was a high amount of applications that year. How many of the remaining 46% went on to DO or an MD program? How many were actually rejected from all the schools they applied to? How many were accepted and decided to just take a year off and try something else?

Again, not trying to tear anyone down or podiatry school, but I do think that the application process and getting in is relatively easy. Most of the people applying are hard workers and intelligent students. This is already realized by the fact that they want to be doctors and have stuck it out through pre-reqs and have made it to the application process at all. But once at the point of applications, getting in to one of the nine schools is definitely in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree if you review the MCAT material a few times and are taking almost 100 credits of biology you should get a 490.

But;
-Many people are not prepared for the mental stamina for a 6 hr test.
-Everything you focused on is not on the test, only tons of wave problems(Me).
-Test Anxiety

This being said, retake. I believe if you are scoring below a 490 still, you should then get a tutor or take a course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree if you review the MCAT material a few times and are taking almost 100 credits of biology you should get a 490.

But;
-Many people are not prepared for the mental stamina for a 6 hr test.
-Everything you focused on is not on the test, only tons of wave problems(Me).
-Test Anxiety

This being said, retake. I believe if you are scoring below a 490 still, you should then get a tutor or take a course.

With every conceivable problem that you can run into be it test anxiety or not being prepared or sick, more than 4/5 people taking the MCAT still get higher than 490. Yes if someone can't score higher then they reallllly need to buckle down and study hard or get a tutor or take some expensive course. If you have to retake the test multiple times then so be it. But if you score lower than that more than once, you have to be going about studying (or lack of study) all wrong. in the spirit of this thread, barring some outliers and major problems, scoring a high enough MCAT for interviews is easy.

Last edited:
So, aside an apart from this year where it seems that application numbers are down and regular admission standards may slightly differ, I would love to understand the notion that podiatry school is a cake walk in terms of acceptance.

Of course, relative to an MD school, admission is a bit easier, but I know of quite a few people, personally, who were quite surprised to find that they had been rejected from DPM programs...the same programs they thought would have been a good "backup."

People make it seem like as long as you at least attempted the MCAT and have above a 2.5GPA, you're "golden," but I don't think its that simple for a lot of people.

So to summarize what you are saying. Pod school is easy to get in for some people. Really not a game changing post there bud. Not to attack you but this has been beat in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With every conceivable problem that you can run into be it test anxiety or not being prepared or sick, more than 4/5 people taking the MCAT still get higher than 490. Yes if someone can't score higher then they reallllly need to buckle down and study hard or get a tutor or take some expensive course. If you have to retake the test multiple times then so be it. But if you score lower than that more than once, you have to be going about studying (or lack of study) all wrong. in the spirit of this thread, barring some outliers and major problems, scoring a high enough MCAT for interviews is easy.

Not to defend low scores at all but taking the MCAT is difficult and only "bright and driven" people take it. So that bottom 1/5 on the scale is still a rather intellectual group who may not have "mastered" the MCAT. Just a different way to look at it.

A low MCAT score is bad no matter how you try to justify it. We shouldn't make excuses for people who score in the bottom quartile.

Reactions: 2 users
I said before if you go to school and have a 3.9 with no mcat practice you should get a 490 at least... I don't expect to get a 515, but I certainly did better than a 500...

If you can't score higher than a 490 on the MCAT, I don't want you anywhere near my feet. You basically have to not fall asleep during the test to get that score.

It is incredibly easy to get into a podiatry school if you are not picky about where you go. Staying in is a different matter.

Reactions: 2 users