Decent step1 and mediocre stats (med peds)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DWB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I have a decent step 1 score (240+) and overall mediocre stats. Nothing outstanding in medical school, no strong research, and probably half or less honors in third grade clerkship (My school does not offer HP. Just H/P/F). I will be applying for med peds next year.
I am certainly not hoping to get in to MGH or BWH, but I'd like to get an idea of where I stand and which schools I should be looking into for "realistic" goals. Thoughts, anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few key pieces of info regarding your application that is missing before we can give you advice. This includes AOA status, clerkship grade in medicine and peds (the medicine one seems to matter more), medical school tier/location, letter of recs, locational preferences, etc.

Otherwise your step 1 score will not shut many doors. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of "strong" research. I only had some minor research in a surgical field and I still got decent interviews. I think they're more focused on what you learned from the research experience.

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately I did not honor medicine and have not finished peds yet. I have been promised a strong letter from an attending in IM and built strong relationships in FM and peds. The best thing I can hope for now is honor peds, do IM sub-I early and try to honor that as well.
Most likely won't make AOA, as my school factors research quite a bit in their selection process. I am at a mid-low tier school on scholarship.
I really don't have any strong geographical preferences. Ideally I'd like to go to East or West coast, but I understand that those are very desirable locations/programs and I am open to other opportunities.
Thanks for your advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot depends on what your future career plans are as well... primary care vs. fellowship is an important thing to start thinking about. If you are leaning towards fellowship then you will probably want to focus more on strong academic programs. If you are a M3 you still have some time to get some research under your belt if you want to. Of course you probably don't have the time to get something significant finished and published etc... but you can get involved in some chart reviews or clinical research with a faculty member that already has something in the works. Really anything you can do to get something in the "publications" or "research" tabs of your CV can help. For example I did a really simple literature review article during my MICU rotation early in 4th year that got "published" in an Ebook right around the time ERAS was due. It took very little time but got mentioned frequently during interviews and gave me something to talk about. Also gave me something to keep in touch with PDs about as the publication finalized mid interview season, giving me an opportunity to send them the URL. Anyways... point being you still have some CV-building time so don't stress out!

If your home institution has a med-peds program you should get in touch with your program director or other med-peds faculty and start getting advice early from them. Med-Peds program directors are the best suited to give you realistic advice on your chances as every year the stats change and they know best what are considered "competitive" scores. a 240+ on step 1 is impressive and I don't think you need to get honors in IM and Peds. I 'just' got A's on IM and Peds and still got plenty of interviews. The most important part of your application you should be thinking about now are your letters of recommendations. Its good you have a strong IM letter solidified so now that you are on Peds, try to focus on getting a strong letter from one of your attendings here as well. If there is a med-peds program at your school try to get a med-peds rotation done EARLY in 4th year so you can get a Med-Peds letter (obviously not necessary if you don't have a med-peds program, but is really nice to have).

Good luck!

Your stats are "solid", not mediocre. I know plenty of people with your stats who applied only med-peds and got plenty of interviews. Focus on playing up your strengths. Research can't hurt, but by and large most Med-Peds programs don't care AS much about that.

For specific programs:

West Coast may be a bit of a struggle, since there are only 4 programs and UCLA and UCSD are both crazy competitive. USC is a little less so, but still, there are a ton of people who want to either go to or stay in Cali. Loma Linda is an option, if that's a fit for you.

East Coast: Plenty of good programs. MGH, Brigham, Penn, and Duke are probably out. You're probably borderline for UNC, UPMC, Yale, Brown (depending on other factors, such as service, leadership, work experience etc). Those programs all seem to value those attributes very highly. Likewise, for Hopkins, you have to want urban underserved primary care.

That still leaves Eastern NC, VCU, Georgetown, Maryland, Christiana, Baystate; If you want to go a little more southern, MUSC would be an option. Miami is also an option. If it's "coast" you want, and not culture: look into UT-Houston, Baylor, Tulane, LSU. If you're looking to do northeast but more inland, Penn State, Albany, and Rochester are all good options. I know nothing about the Jersey or SUNY programs, but if east coast is what you're looking for, worth more research.

I highly encourage you to look outside of the coasts for some programs as well. Ohio State, Indiana, Cincinnati, UT-Memphis, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Loyola, and Rush are all solid programs. UChicago, Vanderbilt, UAB, and Michigan are likely reaches, but you really never know.

Bottom line, you have plenty of options!

Wow, these are all very positive and constructive feedbacks. I really appreciate it! I will definitely consider all the places mentioned. It makes me feel great to know that I will be going into a field of such supportive people. Thanks, everyone!

I think you are very solid. Like others said, aim realistically, and you will get plenty of interviews. I'm not going to say any more until I'm certain I've matched, but from my own experience, you will be fine.

Your step 1 is fine. I think the IM not being honors will hurt a tad, but if peds is honors and you honors the IM AI, you should make up most of the loss. Having half honors in 3rd year is not weak performance by any stretch.

Somewhat related question, but thought I'd ask here to avoid starting a new thread. How much does school tier/reputation play a role in the med-peds interview/rank process? Assuming everything else is there (AOA, good steps, all honors, some papers, strong rec letters), will coming from a low tier state school (on scholarship) count too much against me for the academically focused programs? I'm looking mostly at academic programs with a strong global health component (Baylor, Duke, UPenn) and know that they are getting hypercompetitive. I realize I am likely being a bit paranoid but would like to be as realistic as possible in gearing up for the application process this year. Thanks!

Last edited:
Somewhat related question, but thought I'd ask here to avoid starting a new thread. How much does school tier/reputation play a role in the med-peds interview/rank process? Assuming everything else is there (AOA, good steps, all honors, some papers, strong rec letters), will coming from a low tier state school (on scholarship) count too much against me for the academically focused programs? I'm looking mostly at academic programs with a strong global health component (Baylor, Duke, UPenn) and know that they are getting hypercompetitive. I realize I am likely being a bit paranoid but would like to be as realistic as possible in gearing up for the application process this year. Thanks!

I am responding with only a limited amount of experience, so take it with a grain of salt. The reputation of your home institution matters somewhat, at least in my opinion, in Ivy league programs. I knew very bright people with very strong step scores (250+), AOA, and outstanding volunteer work that did not interview at Penn, Harvard, or Yale. I've been told that another way to assess this is to visit their website and look at where the current residents are from. Certainly there are other factors, but if every single resident is from Harvard or JHU, that probably says something. (I have yet to see an extreme example as such :p)
Others have told me that very strong research background (1st authorship, NEJM pub, Doris Duke, etc) can overcome these...
Some places have strong in-state preferences, such as Texas and Cali. These are just based on my limited observation and I would love to hear from others on their take!

I am responding with only a limited amount of experience, so take it with a grain of salt. The reputation of your home institution matters somewhat, at least in my opinion, in Ivy league programs. I knew very bright people with very strong step scores (250+), AOA, and outstanding volunteer work that did not interview at Penn, Harvard, or Yale. I've been told that another way to assess this is to visit their website and look at where the current residents are from. Certainly there are other factors, but if every single resident is from Harvard or JHU, that probably says something. (I have yet to see an extreme example as such :p)
Others have told me that very strong research background (1st authorship, NEJM pub, Doris Duke, etc) can overcome these...
Some places have strong in-state preferences, such as Texas and Cali. These are just based on my limited observation and I would love to hear from others on their take!

I think they care about all the things you mentioned, especially LORs from people known in the field, AOA, lots of honors, etc. There is a strong global health vibe, underserved health vibe, etc. I think they care about ECs a lot. Research is good, but I think a clinical/public health research angle is better than a basic science research angle. That's in contrast to categorical medicine and pediatrics, where basic science is often highly valued. With the possible exception of BWH-BCH, I don't think the programs are terribly hung up on school name in whom they match (of course, that may have to do with how far down their list they go). They may bias for big name med schools in inviting people to interview, but I see people from a wide range of medical schools at other top programs like MGH, Duke, Penn, JHU, UCLA, etc.

Also, med-peds itself tends to be a bit more about "match" than just prestige, since it is infrequent for a program to have extremely strong medicine and extremely strong pediatrics. In fact, I can think of only three (won't name them here) where both categorical programs have a very strong reputation, one of which has some bizarre priorities and sees itself as more of a family medicine/inner city medicine program than a standard med-peds program. Most programs are stronger on one end than another. Some are markedly lopsided (e.g. Cincinnati for pediatrics (weaker medicine), MGH for medicine (weaker pediatrics), etc.). And some have a strong reputation because of logevity, experience, and reputation as med--peds programs, rather than categorical program reputation (e.g. Rochester, UNC). So in the end it's more about personalities, fit, what you're looking for (research opportunities in basic science vs. public health vs. policy), location, and - in many cases, whether you're a little more of an internist or a pediatrician at heart.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they care about all the things you mentioned, especially LORs from people known in the field, AOA, lots of honors, etc. There is a strong global health vibe, underserved health vibe, etc. I think they care about ECs a lot. Research is good, but I think a clinical/public health research angle is better than a basic science research angle. That's in contrast to categorical medicine and pediatrics, where basic science is often highly valued. With the possible exception of BWH-BCH, I don't think the programs are terribly hung up on school name in whom they match (of course, that may have to do with how far down their list they go). They may bias for big name med schools in inviting people to interview, but I see people from a wide range of medical schools at other top programs like MGH, Duke, Penn, JHU, UCLA, etc.

Also, med-peds itself tends to be a bit more about "match" than just prestige, since it is infrequent for a program to have extremely strong medicine and extremely strong pediatrics. In fact, I can think of only three (won't name them here) where both categorical programs have a very strong reputation, one of which has some bizarre priorities and sees itself as more of a family medicine/inner city medicine program than a standard med-peds program. Most programs are stronger on one end than another. Some are markedly lopsided (e.g. Cincinnati for pediatrics (weaker medicine), MGH for medicine (weaker pediatrics), etc.). And some have a strong reputation because of logevity, experience, and reputation as med--peds programs, rather than categorical program reputation (e.g. Rochester, UNC). So in the end it's more about personalities, fit, what you're looking for (research opportunities in basic science vs. public health vs. policy), location, and - in many cases, whether you're a little more of an internist or a pediatrician at heart.

This is great advice, thanks!